Doubles Tail Weight or Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
Situation is doubles AL80s on Wetsuit. Head heavy. Particularly with two deco bottles on the left side. While using a V-Weight (tail weight) on the lower band is the standard practice, can a weight belt be as effective? Do you use weight belt instead of v-weights to help counter head heaviness on doubles?

On my LP108's I use a 3# tailweight & on my HP130's (shorter cylinders) I use a 5# tailweight to balance myself out. I can not see why a weigtbelt wouldn't work, but just prefer the comfort & ease of the tailweights. Be aware that a V-weight is different in that the V-weight extends from bolt to bolt along the length of the cylinders in the "V" between the cylinders, so puts the weight higher up. The tailweights hang off the bottom bolt, typically in the small of the back or across the buttocks.

Another thing you can do to help with being head heavy, if you have not already. 1. put the bands as high & close to the crown of the cylinders as possible drop the cylinders as far as you can. 2. Lower the wing as much as you can (more buoyancy to the rear. 3.Bring your backplate up as high as you can drops the cylinders a tad more.

Thank thank you tstormdiver. Yes, I meant Tail Weight to counter head heavy trim.

I find the convenience of using a weight belt to be better than bringing your tail weight when traveling and renting doubles.

Is anyone using weight belt as opposed to tail weights to offset head heaviness in doubles?

I have used a weight belt, but switched to v-weight. It feels more comfortable to me. If you don't like a weight belt you could use two tank straps to strap the weight to the tanks. It's a personal preference, no good or bad.

I hate weight belts, with my Al80's I use a V weight and also a simple tank band with a 8 lbs weight on it, centred as close as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom