Doubles w/o manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea:
I was actually intending on using a neck ring W/ clip and clip/band clamp at the bottom of the pony and clip the whole assembly off of my bp, like the way oms shows their stage or argon rigging.
I'm not really familiar with that method, but the attachment points are the same, so I imagine the results will be too. Just be sure you have it secured in a way that makes it possible to cut it free with a knife or shears if you absolutely have to.

I hope it works out for you!

As a general rule, I'd recommend ignoring anything on the OMS website...the way you have described means there are metal-to-metal connections, which means, should a clip fail, you have no way of detaching the bottle in an emergency. I would suggest rigging it this way...

http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

There are no metal-to-metal connections here.

Soggy:
As a general rule, I'd recommend ignoring anything on the OMS website...the way you have described means there are metal-to-metal connections, which means, should a clip fail, you have no way of detaching the bottle in an emergency. I would suggest rigging it this way...

http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

There are no metal-to-metal connections here.
The DIR method is an adaptation of the Hog method. I don't want to start an argument, but personally I prefer the hog method as it does not use the fisherman's knot which is, in my opinion, a potential weakness. The lower bolt snap is not readily removeable with the Hog method, but then I have never had a reason to remove one. With the hog method there are two strands of line holding the boltsnap in place and one can fail with no ill effect.

The site also calls for braided poly rope, but braided nylon is a better choice. Poly breaks down pretty quickly in sunlight and is not nearly as abrasion resistant. It's possible they just got the name wrong on that particular site.

I also like to use clear vinyl tubing over the rope for the "handle" rather than black fuel tubing as the clear tubing allows the rope to be visually inspected. The larger diameters of vinyl tubing that are readily available at the hardware store also make it possible to use 1/4" line rather than 3/16" line. Again, it's just stronger.

jagfish:
They look like an intersting idea if you wanted to dive doubles at locations that only had single aluminums available.

For me, travel with a set of bands and a manifold. Not much weight and quite compact, and will fit with the rest of your 'normal' single-gear. If where you go only has singles, it is simply a matter of taking the single tank valves off and screwing in the manifold and bands. Just takes a little time, but if you are more comfortable diving that way or you didn't expect in that remote (away from home) location you would be doing tech diving, it's worth the time.

kennethw:
For me, travel with a set of bands and a manifold. Not much weight and quite compact, and will fit with the rest of your 'normal' single-gear. If where you go only has singles, it is simply a matter of taking the single tank valves off and screwing in the manifold and bands. Just takes a little time, but if you are more comfortable diving that way or you didn't expect in that remote (away from home) location you would be doing tech diving, it's worth the time.

Pretty amiable of the dive sites you frequent to let you do that kind of surgery on thier tanks...no such luck here by a long shot.

jagfish:
Pretty amiable of the dive sites you frequent to let you do that kind of surgery on thier tanks...no such luck here by a long shot.

True, but with some coaxing and bribing (alcohol or what ever vice), usually the operators are quite amiable.... :wink:

Actually, there are places that traditionally didn't have doubles setup are starting to do so and some even bring in Helium, like the operator we use in Manado and Tioman. However, most tech trips we do are on LOB's which are already setup.

In desperation, we've even rigged up 11L tanks as stages....hahahahah :eyebrow:

kennethw:
I am surprised that some dive store owner would let you do that, presumably at a travel destination and also that you feel a manifold is worth that much trouble. I would think constantly removing and replacing a manifold can't be too good for it either.

DA Aquamaster:
The DIR method is an adaptation of the Hog method. I don't want to start an argument, but personally I prefer the hog method as it does not use the fisherman's knot which is, in my opinion, a potential weakness.

Did Bill tell you this himself?

Regardless of the specific knots used (which I don't think are specified by GUE), my point was that this system is safer, as it allows the bottle to be cut free in the event of an entanglement.

He simply offered some solutions he felt would improve the design, nice to see he can claim something to be Hogarthian and you jump down his throat, but you can list a link to "dir-diver" and claim it's not specified, and don't bother with DIR vs. GUE vs. whoever, I don't really care.

Ride out on the horse you rode in on, unless you need another suggestion of what to do with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom