Doubles wing with a single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived my new (to me) transpac II over the weekend. Its got a 44lb wing and I used my 15L faber. First dive was a shocker, but after I readjusted every thing the second dive was much better. But I did end the weekend (after 4 dives) beliving the wing is just to big for diving singles and my old jacket BC was much more comftable and steamline. So now Im on the look out for a 30lb or smaller wing and keep the 44lb aside for when I use twins.

cecilb63:
If you want to manage two buoyancy compensators while hanging on an anchor line with current, watching your computer, switching mixes, etc, then for sure use your BC. me, I'd rather elmiinate a task.

Hang on for a ride... :D

Why do we argue this?

Singles wing for singles.

Doubles wing for doubles.

Doubles are NOT hard to adjust to, I did it starting around dive #12 and haven't looked back. And I am nothing special in the water.

Golem wings are the toughest wings on the American market that I have seen, and I've seen nearly all of them. The shapes (on doubles) aren't optimal though. I do like and recommend their singles wing, however.

If someone lacks the skills to manage their drysuit and BC and can only handle one, fine. Other people apparently manage the task load without issue. I would be SERIOUSLY nervous about diving with that person though as they could certainly not keep track of a buddy, if they can't manage their own BC.

How far can you go on a single? I'd say 80-100ft. Below that, it's just not worth it in terms of time spent, and safety. Put doubles on, and leave the pony bottle alone.

In terms of getting into doubles and needing two sets of regs, etc. If you get into tech diving, this may be one of the cheapest purchases you make. Each of my 3 wings has cost me more than my regs. And I'll be adding a few more reg sets next year, along with 2-3 new sets of tanks. It's just the way it goes. Bite the bullet and do this right from the beginning...

I'm not arguing!

It's just another point of view provided in the context of a question. Hardly inflammatory.

Course, inferring that someone lacks skills because of someone's stated position and opinion, well, I'll just leave that for others to judge

Decompression diving is a whole different world from simple recreational diving. When you go into deco, you enter a virtual overhead environment -- the surface is no longer an option for solving problems. In addition, you have to be able to plan appropriate decompression and the gas reserves to do it. For this reason, decompression is considered technical diving and requires much better skills and a significant amount of additional training. It isn't just having the gas to go there.

The nice thing about starting with a BP/W system is that all you have to buy to upgrade to doubles is a new wing. (And, of course, a manifold, an additional regulator, and bands . . .)

Since we can't update dive profiles any more, we can't know if you have the dive experience to consider starting technical training right away or not. If so, it might be reasonable to buy a doubles wing and start immediately into doubles. I still wouldn't dive a single tank with a doubles wing, though.

My 33rd dive was also my first doubles dive. I found it easier and more comfortable than singles diving (I was new to bp/w singles too and hadn't yet adjusted). The transition was no biggie. Later I learned the valve drills, how to route all the hoses properly, etc.

You only need 25 dives for the TDI Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedures courses that I've seen, or equivalent at the instructors discretion. Other agencies may require more dives for their tech courses though, but you can dive doubles recreationally without special training for them. In fact, it's not a bad idea IMO to just do some rec diving in doubles first before you take a tech course in them - just to get used to them.

TSandM:
The nice thing about starting with a BP/W system is that all you have to buy to upgrade to doubles is a new wing. (And, of course, a manifold, an additional regulator, and bands . . .)

You're saving the cost of a standard BC... that's for sure. When one adds a set of doubles to their gear closet, it's gonna cost... A LOT... whether or not they already have a single rig. :D

Stephen Ash:
You're saving the cost of a standard BC... that's for sure. When one adds a set of doubles to their gear closet, it's gonna cost... A LOT... whether or not they already have a single rig. :D
Cost is a minor factor IMO.

The consistency of the "user interface" of the BC is more important to me. So regardless of if I am diving my singles or doubles. Everything that I "use" is in the same spot.

A close friend of mine dives 60lb OMS Bungied Wings with single cylinders only. He plans to go doubles in the near future, that's why he bought it. It does look really weird under water, but he doesn't complain about venting problems, nor snag.

I get that smaller wings are more adequate. They'd probably be more comfortable and would cause less snag, but is it really this much of a deal? I can't think of any aspects that make diving single tanks with doubles dangerous. Actually, OMS says it is ok diving 60lb wings with a single tank. They say 100 lb wings can only be used with doubles, but I've also seen somenone in this forum state he did'nt have any problems diving singles with 100lb OMS bungied wings (although it seems kind of a stretch, in my opinion).

What about 45lb wings? Are these considered double wings? Can they lift a set of double 18L steel tanks?

I'm not trying to be inflamatory or anything, I don't even have the diving experience for that. I'm really just curious (don't mean to hijack either, sorry).

JeffG:
Cost is a minor factor IMO.

The consistency of the "user interface" of the BC is more important to me. So regardless of if I am diving my singles or doubles. Everything that I "use" is in the same spot.

Great minds think a like! :D

When you look at what it cost to evolve into a technical diver... the cost of a backplate... or even a standard BC... is nothin'. It IS easier to transition if you already have put in the time with a hog rig! That's the deal, right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom