Question Single Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to change from a BCD to BPW single tank. I like the idea of a more narrow streamline profile wing. I like the Oxyteq Mach V but unfortunately I live in Europe.
I came to a conclusion for 2 wings full set, any other suggestion is welcome.
1)DGX S1 Wing 654$ = 412$(Wing,harness&steel plate,cambands) + 100$ (24% If I have to pay the fees from US to Europe) + 142$ (DHL shipping).
2)Tecline Donut 15 671$ = (Wing, Adjustable DIR harness (chinch adapter)&steel plate,cambands)
I am trying to think if all of them was the same price which one would you/I choose?
I don't want to spend more of 750$ if the difference for wings of other brands (Halcyon,Scubapro etc.) doesnt worth the price.
Thanks!

If your based in Europe then going with Tecline should make life easier in the long run as you should be able to get replacement parts etc easier. With DGX you will always have to pay DHL shipping fees.
Both make solid equipment and you will be as happy with either.

Yes, Apeks looks fine and the price is 670$. I also find DTD 555$. Will apeks worth the ~100$ in the long run?
I like the shape of Apeks more but I am not sure how costly and easier to replace the parts will be?(I read that the inflator hose cannot change quite easy like the other brands)

Because I am newbie, could you tell me which part of my wing will need a replacement more often?
I am looking forward to work in the fish farms as a diver and I want a durable wing.
DTD has for Cover: Cordura 2000 denier and Inner layer:Cordura 560.
But I am not sure if I have to look for a better profile(Apeks) or a cheaper and more durable wing(DTD and maybe tecline).

Here in Norway there's a lot of Halcyon (US), DIRZONE (Germany), Tecline (Poland) and OMS (Germany?) wings. Halcyon is the most expensive (makes sense with shipping also), but in my experience premium quality. DIRZONE and Tecline look good, and are cheaper. OMS have some weird wings with bungees that I would avoid, but they also have ones without bungee that should be ok.

Full disclosure, I am somewhat of a Halcyon fanboy, but I really love their double wing. The quality seems very good, it feels great in the water, and I love that the OPV valve is identical to their SMB OPVs - so if I have a failed OPV (probably meaning it got unscrewed and fell off underwater), I can use the one from my SMB as a backup. I haven't personally had any failures in water, but the most common I would guess are the OPV and a stuck inflator. The worst failure you can have is probably the shoulder on the corrugated hose, where it connects to the bladder - if that were to break, you would not be able to keep air in the wing unless you are inverted underwater. Spare parts I would consider are o-rings and an OPV valve.

To be fair, I think all of the wings would work just fine. And as long as you treat it nice, give it a fresh water rinse every now and then, and don't pull hard on the shoulder joint/corrugated hose, it will last a long time. A wing is quite simple and durable gear. Just don't get any double inflators/bladders, bungees or a pull dump, and you'll be fine.

Yes, Apeks looks fine and the price is 670$. I also find DTD 555$. Will apeks worth the ~100$ in the long run?
I like the shape of Apeks more but I am not sure how costly and easier to replace the parts will be?(I read that the inflator hose cannot change quite easy like the other brands)

Because I am newbie, could you tell me which part of my wing will need a replacement more often?
I am looking forward to work in the fish farms as a diver and I want a durable wing.
DTD has for Cover: Cordura 2000 denier and Inner layer:Cordura 560.
But I am not sure if I have to look for a better profile(Apeks) or a cheaper and more durable wing(DTD and maybe tecline).
I had one of the older Apeks wings and the inflator hose was a standard Aqualung hose. I would check with a dealer to see if this is still the case. While Apeks and Mares make a narrow wing their bladders are urethane not Cordura. I prefer Cordura, especially the 420 and 560 for resistance to puncture. As far as replacement parts go you will need to talk to the shop about parts availability.

As mentioned above you can shop around for a better price within the EU. I am not a big fan of Halcyon. They make great gear but I think the price premium is too high. I owned an Eclipse 30 but sold it. The DTD and DIR Zone wings seem to have the most robust construction, if I were in your situation I would go with one of their packages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom