Dove Mt Storm today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was still fairly toasty! Surface temps in the low 60's at 50ft around 57. Perfect for 7mils. Vis was about 6-8 feet. I lost my surface marker, so if anyone finds a dive flag with two eyelets let me know!

I also met Aaron and Evan, two guys from Harrisonburg. They were cool, I told them to look us up at the ole 'board here.

Anyway, this looks to be my last dive for a while. My SPG crapped out on me today. :(

Oh, btw, the platform nearest the dock has lost its surface marker, so there are only two jugs floating. Also, I followed a diver all the way from near Romney to the lake...they went on to the plant. A truck with a DAN sticker...we followed a lot of slow traffic...was that anyone here?

Nice to meet you too, Eric! (Evan here)

We had a little fun with the catfish. Bag of potato chips made them go crazy. Fairly uneventful otherwise. Still a nice little getaway.

Since it was my first time diving at Storm, I thought I would also add a few notes from my logbook for others unfamiliar with the site:

Altitude dives - 3,244ft (983m)

Dive 1 - Observed honda motorcycle and large groups of catfish. A lot of barren bottom areas. Not much interesting when following lines on bottom. Light waves on surface. Moderate wind. Slight thermocline around 40ft.

Dive 2 - Used platform as site to feed catfish. Huge swarm, not shy at all. Explored perimeter counter-clockwise from entry point at depth around 15ft. Many boulders and crevaces. Observed catfish, perch, bass & possibly sunfish as well as a few items like typewriters.

Does anyone know of other points of interest I missed in the lake? I may head back that way and am open to suggestions.

The dam is an interesting dive, there is nothing really at depth, just the old riverbed. The closer you get to the boat dock, the more debris you usually start to find- and on occassion, boats, cars, etc.

Dive 2 - Used platform as site to feed catfish. Huge swarm, not shy at all...
the catfish are a hoot. they just sit there and watch you. If there is a current, they are all just swimming into that current and staring at you... almost erie :)

Does anyone know of other points of interest I missed in the lake? I may head back that way and am open to suggestions.
Yea, I would like to know as well. I may take the scooter up sometime this winter and head out toward the uncommon portions of the lake. So if anyone knows of anything of interest out there, let me know please.

Chris

Anyone thinking to head that way in the next week or two? If so, let me know. I've got some time and would like to hit it another time if anyone's willing to buddy up.

Hey Guys,

I live about 20 min from Mt. Storm Lake and dive it all the time. When I first got certified last year I was up there almost every weekend. Though, anytime anyone wants to dive there just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number and we can meet up. There are some interesting points in various areas of the lake, sadly the high temperature keeps plant life to a bare minimum.

Anyhow if you wanna dive let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom