Dove West Bank Park on Sat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally made it up to WBP on Sat. afternoon. I went in by the tennis courts at the beach where the wake buoy is. Nobody else was there except a couple dozen swimmers. I wanted to try my new mask, BC, computer, fins, hood. Everything worked fine. I needed to adjust my trim on my BC next time, but other than that I had a good time burning some air only went to 23 ft MAX depth, since I was solo.
My 7mm one piece wet suit with 7mm hood kept me warm enough, but I wasn't diving below the thermocline either. Bottom temp. was about 67degrees.
From what I remember at Two Mile Creek the thermocline doesn't kick in until around 30ft.
How long have the wooden pallets been there at about 16-18ft.? It looked like someone sunk them there on purpose maybe to bring fish in.
From what I saw, I liked my dives at Two Mile Creek much better and probably will only go back to WBP when I am joining the 'birds there for a dive or two.
I don't have to pay the state $4 either at Two Mile Creek either just to enter.
I got to have $$ to keep the starving oil companies in business you know.

I don't know anything about any training platforms but it does keep trianees off the bottom a little

Borg . . .

The platform has been there for several years.
A lot of training takes place in that cove.
When the lake is at full pool, the platform conforms to PADI standards for training depths.

Glad ya had a good dive.

Wish you could have made it up to Loch-Low-Minn with us.

Perhaps the next time.

the K

Thanks for the info. K. I need to make it up Loch Low Minn this summer. I saw their website, pretty impressive dive site. It would be good to do my AOW checkouts there I suppose.
The level must be down alot if those platforms are in that shallow of water. Yes, all in all it was good to get the old gills moist for a little while, even in murky Lanier.

Wish you could have made it up to Loch-Low-Minn with us.

Perhaps the next time.

the K
K... what were the temps at Loch Low-Minn?
We're heading either there or to Blue Water on Saturday... checking out a new rig...

I seem to remember that Blue Water warms up a little earlier than LLM... I'm also anxious to see the new shop at BW -- they put up a Geodesic Dome, apparently, with showers, food, etc...

Temps at LLM were about 65 at the surface, 62 to about 28' and 54 below that.

the K

None, really. I went down to the sand beach near the tennis courts and kitted up and went in. It just was crowded which I guess may not always be the case. I'm use to peace and solitude up the Two Mile Creek location. You can get deeper closer to shore as well. Which is safer considering it can be Jet Ski alley sometimes there. I may wrong, but the water seems a little clearer at Two Mile Creek as well.

Hey K, I got a question for you. Would the depths at LLM qualify for AOW checkout dives? I think you said maximum depth was 75 ft. at LLW. I'm just trying to find a place where I get my AOW chekout dives done where it is fairly clear.
FYI, My custom Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit probably won't be in until later in June(I'll have a definite answer next week from the HQ in CA). It's a custom suit and they are produced in China. Those poor folks have got more on their plate than making drysuits for us Americans right now.

Thanks.

Borg, when I took my AOW (and can only speak for Naui), my instructor felt one of the purposes of the deep dive was to experience narcosis (while doing a little task loading), so perhaps it wouldn't be as much of a surprise the next time, without instructor supervision.

I've been to the bottom of LLM, at the trench (and have seen the porcelain throne). It's not terribly light (cold as hell, though -- two thermoclines down), and no narcosis at all.

However, I've also been to the bottom at Alabama Blue Water, at 120ft., and definitely got a little silly... It gets darker as you descend at ABWA, however, once you hit about 90 or 100ft. it starts to lighten up a bit...

I don't think ABWA is much further from you, than LLM... just a different direction.

Good luck, dive safe.

EDIT: P.S. The water at both ABWA and LLM is relatively good (clear), as quarries go... Usually 30 to 40ft. depending on depth and crowds...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom