Dove Xcalak recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sundog

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

My wife and I are planning on visiting Xcalak in March 2003. I am a recently certified diver anxious to explore the local reefs and still undecided about the trek to Chinchorro. I have heard that XTC Diving is one of a couple of dive ops in the area. I am curious to know what experiences any of the members have had recently (last six months) staying and diving Xcalak or Chinchorro with XTC or other dive operator.

And for topside diversions, has anyone taken the boat ride to San Pedro? Explored Bird Island? Any feedback would be appreciated.

We dove with in Ixcalak last Nov. if memory serves me. Diving is weather dependent so don't expect to just say lets dive Chinchorro assumining you would like to. Offshore diving is typical spur and grove. The dive op is fine. They are apparently one of the only opertors who have permits to take tourists to chinchorro. Off hand if you are a new diver I would plan on just diving the mainland. If the weather is super great then maybe chinchorro but March is not the best time to go offshore.

Augustus,

Thanks for the reply. I will likely follow your advice and stick to the reef dives closer to shore for now. From what I hear, it is a long haul (2-3 hrs) to Chinchorro banks and may be beyond my abilities at this point. I'm interested in building up my dive log and having a good time doing it not in carving notches in my weight belt.

Did you dive the local reef yourself? Any sites you enjoyed in particular?

I'm also curious about your experience on the trip down to Xcalak--I've heard the road from Majahual to Xcalak has recently been paved but still leaves a lot to be desired.

We are staying at the Hotel Tierra Maya. (Doc Vikingo--if not too personal, interested in how you were "treated badly" there in the past. We've heard good things from others who have been there recently.) Where did you stay Augustus? Any restaurants you particularly enjoyed? I understand they are few and far between.

And last salvo--Did you explore any of the surrounding area? San Pedro? Chetumal? Bacalar? Cenote Azul? Any attractions you would recommend?

I really appreciate the favor of your reply.

The beach road is still not the best, but is passable. But there is a new road back off the beach (about 3 KM) that is a nice paved petal to the metal type of road.

Watch out for wildlife though!

Gracias, NuttyGambler (fellow Minnesotan). I'm guessing you dove in and around the Xcalak area. Any experiences you'd like to share?

And wildlife? I've read here and elsewhere about mouse deer, monkeys, iguanas and other creatures lurking on the shoulders. Doc says he has seen two jaguars in the area. Any Animal Planet moments for you, NuttyG.

Regards,

sundog

Have been down there twice and going again in June I think, but so far have not dove. Buying land down there, so have always been to busy, but that is going to change on the next trip. Doing a Cozumel trip in February.

We stayed at the Maya Ha resort, which is nice. Many good places down by Xcalak too.

Have seen Monkeys, many birds, iguanas and MANY, MANY crabs. Places on the road are just red with crushed crabs. My kids found it funny, that I slowed way down in areas to try not to hit so many and it was still crunch crunch as the dummies would not get out of the way of the slow rolling tires. Also butterfies clouds of butterfies. Very pretty, but again can fill up the grill.

Back to diving, looking for reports as well, everyone I have met personally down there who has been diving loved it. BUT as said in earlier posts. The atoll is not a given, the sea can be rough.

I made the journey to Xcalak in April of 1994. I have to say that was one of the best trips I have been on. Three of us flew into Cancun, took a taxi to Playa del Carmen and crossed over to Cozumel to meet a friend that had led a group of divers down the week before. We dove Cozumel for a couple of days, rented cars and made the trip down. Let me tell you that "Less than perfect" does not begin to describe the old beach road. I can't remember exactly, but I think we left Playa at about 1:00 p.m. and finally made it to Xcalak about 8:30 p.m. battered and bruised mentally and physically from that dammed road! The rental company gave us 2 brand new nissan sedans (I think the US equivalent would be a sentra), and I doubt those cars were ever the same. It did'nt help matters any that we drove them like we stole them! Anyway, it seems there are many more options available now for accomodations. In '94 since we were on a tight budget (college students) we pitched a tent infront of the Adventuras Chinchorros dive shop. (Now XTC from what I understand) I have one of the most beautiful sunrise photos taken from the door of our tent. Ahhh, the fond memorys. Anyway, as for local diving, I will have to pull my log book out to remember the exact sites. I remember one was La Chimanea. This one stands out in my mind as being quite spectacular. As for Chinchorro, we were lucky to have beautiful weather being in April. Calm winds and flat seas, it was a beautiful day. I have to say that I love a dive site that when you stand on the swim platform waiting for the captain to yell "Aqui!" you can look around 360 degrees and there is not another boat in sight. My kind of place! This was also my first opportunity to see many sea turtles on a reef. Another thing that stands out in my mind is the largest barrel sponge that I have ever seen. I stood on the sandy bottom a few feet away and this thing had to be a good foot taller than I was, and i'm 5'10". It was also probally 3.5-4 feet in diameter. But sadly enough, after three days it was time to head back to Cancun for the flight back. I can not stress enough how nice the locals were. It was as if they took you in as part of their family. The dive shop owner even had his wife pack us sandwiches for the trip! Wow, i'm ready to pack and head back just thinking about it. I am actually planning to go back in the next year or two. I would like to see it all again before the area becomes too over developed as the rest of the Yucatan has. Anyway, good luck and have a great time!

P.S. FYI, I can not tell you how hard it is to find someone to rent you a room in Cancun when you show up not having showered or shaved in 3 days. Not to mention being covered in salt and sand!

NuttyGambler--I love the the image of clouds of butterflies and a carpet of crabs crossing the road, your vain attempt to limit the mortalities, and your kids squealing at every popping shell. Not so good for the crab, but great for the story. Thanks for sharing a little local color. Good luck on the property hunt.

cmay--Loved the Xcalak blast from the past. I would have enjoyed that trip, too. The tent on the beach in front of the dive shop would have been perfect. Right now, getting my wife to venture further south than Playa del Carmen or San Miguel is stretching it a bit. But I'm sure she will love Xcalak once she is there. Paying the toll of dodging car-sized potholes, the nuisance of military checkpoints and no shower for three days sounds reasonable for a place that can bless you with golden sunrises on deserted beaches, clouds of butterflies, and the chance to swim around barrel sponges the size of a man.

I've heard that XTC (Xcalak-to-Chinchorros) Aventuras has changed hands a couple of times since 1994 but still comes highly recommended. I've included links below for those interested. I will also file a brief trip report when I get back for any interested in venturing this way.

XTC Aventuras Dive Center
http://www.xcalak.com.mx/

Xcalak Accomodations
http://www.bill-in-tulsa.com

I'm diving there this weekend. We're staying at Maya Ha. I'll be back next Wed and will post a report on how it went and hopefully have some pics.

geek

GeekDiver once bubbled...
I'm diving there this weekend. We're staying at Maya Ha. I'll be back next Wed and will post a report on how it went and hopefully have some pics.

geek

Lucky Bas!@##!!!!

Sorry, I get a little jealous sometimes. Have fun, be safe, and I look forward to your report.

Sundog, you have fun as well. I agree that when your wife gets there, it is hard not to like it. I look forward to hearing your stories as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom