down south

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naturalfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm going to Punta Cana (DR) this winter, and was hoping to catch some reef action.
I read a review that said the reef was dead beacuse of the pollution due to the flight path being right over the water. Does anyone know anything about this??

PLUS, does anyone know if its better to be certified first (in halifax) before going down south to dive? My resort offers a free lesson in the pool, but...is that good enough to actually go out there?? :06:

Thanks everyone! :)

I would get the Basic Open Water cert first as it will be much more informative and will open up doors for you should you travel to other locations. There is quite a bit to know in diving theory and the more you know about diving, the better you'll be in the water. It might be a little more money up front but it will definitely pay huge dividends in the water.

Thank you!
Can snorkling down south be just as fun an experience?

Snorkeling can be a wonderful experience. It is amazing how restful it can be to just hang in the water, effortlessly watching the scenery. Of course, you are a bit limited when it comes to getting down and personel with the stuff deeper than 10 or 15 feet.

Usually a novice will not become a free diver by just jumping in and doing it. There's a lot of development-both muscular and mental-before you can swim with the fish. Then, there's that breathing thing. That's what's really cool about SCUBA.

By staying down longer, you can see things you will never see if you have to go back to the top for air. Of course, you know this.

The resort courses always scare me. There's a lot to know, and it just doesn't come that fast. Being very comfortable in the water is paramount. Being very comfortable with the equipment is equally important. Without those two tools, theory is difficult to practice.

The ideal situation might be to take the course up north and complete it in the islands by referal. That way you can experience diving in more comfortable conditions than the frigid Atlantic.

It's fun and rewarding. As so many say, you can change your goals as you develop skills. But, the danger is always there, so training and practice might save your life.

I didn't dive when I was in the DR. Google for instructions or dive shops around your destination. They will be able to fill you in on conditions and may even have referal dives to complete your OW.

Good luck, and never hold your breath.

Back
Top Bottom