Downsizing video rig --- the comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the middle of putting my own set up together and would be interested in your thoughts on the backscatter housing. The fact you can remove the filter is a winner for me and worth the few extra dollars. I'm planning on picking one up on my next visit.

Any thoughts on lights? I can't justify sola 1200's, or even 800 for that matter, but I know I'm going to need lights of some kind. Also thinking that the added weight of the batteries could help stabilize the rig if situated properly.

Looking forward to you footage.

Edit- I see now you have a video light already- is that a sunpak?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

I'm in the middle of putting my own set up together and would be interested in your thoughts on the backscatter housing. The fact you can remove the filter is a winner for me and worth the few extra dollars. I'm planning on picking one up on my next visit.

Any thoughts on lights? I can't justify sola 1200's, or even 800 for that matter, but I know I'm going to need lights of some kind. Also thinking that the added weight of the batteries could help stabilize the rig if situated properly.

Looking forward to you footage.

Edit- I see now you have a video light already- is that a sunpak?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

The light is for the Ikelite system and probably too big to use with the GoPro.

I have found over my years of diving with a video camera, that lights work great when under and overhang, inside a wreck sometimes, or night dives. I think the red filter is a much better option for 90% of my diving. Lights also create backscatter to shots, and only work when you are less than 6' away from subject. So that is another reason I went with the Backscatter housing and red filter. I can take the filter off, without taking the camera out, to do topside shots, boat shots, people jumping in water from surface.... all things I do in my videos.

robin

Thanks for the ideas on the smaller trays - I know for sure that I would use one - it only took seeing that guys footage to know that two hands spread apart holding it would give me my best chances for level AND steady.

Maybe a few other thoughts. The fun of the GoPro is getting yourself in the shot. Not exactly something we do everyday with Camcorders in big housings. I did a few shots with the 5D2 @ 17mm and they are actually fun - people seem to enjoy them for some reason. Now I know why 14mm ultra wide angles are so popular. Anyhow, getting back to the GoPro - don't forget to try all those funky fun shots.

After seeing GoPro footage you instantly get ideas. For example, this guys daugher was filming this awesome sunset out of the plan window. But I'm sure it was never level and quite shaky. All a person needed to do was find a way to gently press it flat against a plane window and viola - awesome landing, take off and flying through clouds scenes. Maybe some suction cup thingy.

When on the boat, a couple if ideas came to mind right away. First, is there a way (zip tie or suction cup) to mount the GoPro somewhere on the dive boat so that it's motion will be more steady - sure it may rock with the boat - but for bigger boats it might beat being handheld. Then it would capture the activities less intrusively.

And for entry - it would be awesome to have a way to securely clip it to the end of the fin. While sitting waiting to walk in or back roll it will capture you and others as you wait to go. The entry should look pretty cool. And then quickly unclip after entry so it can be used more normally.

Great product - endless possibilities. And it sure seems that footage (at least from above water - not so sure about underwater) should blend pretty nicely with more heavily compresses H.264 from other cameras.

Oh yeah, one more comment I remember this guy making was that he was a bit upset about not being able to get up close and film the small stuff. Maybe the Blurfix takes care of that? Maybe he just didn't get as close as he could. But it was something he was a bit bummed about. Maybe it is just so wide angle that getting a very close minimum focus distance was not going to happen? I guess if he's right, maybe small critter / pseudo-macro is not possible with the Go Pro?

I went from this type of setup (Not mine but one just like it. Camera, Housing and lights) I still enjoy it but hate the time it takes me to kit up and transport it to location.
Endeavor4b1.jpg

To this... This was just to kewl to dive!
32181205.jpg

AquaproHD,
That's a pretty cool idea for a setup! I hadn't even thought of doing that, but will now! I have a small Casio Exilm in a UW case that I'm going to mount up top for stills and hang the GoPro underneath. Great idea!

The GoPro certainly is nice for travel (I get tired of people checking my UW housing for "bomb residue") but I've not seen anything from it that would convince me to downsize. Besides, I "love" spending my evening hours editing the daily video footage... much cheaper than spending my nights in the local bars! Tee hee.

@ Testpilot58d - So far I've been able to mount any of the Ikelite point & shoot camera housings. Just mounted a Flip for a club member. Very nice to handle. I used the new SRP key system and mounted the Ikelite housing to the adjustable arm slots of the SRP Camera Tray.

** I think this is the type of engineering that keeps SRP at the front of the pack. Options! Options! Options! Not just adpting the same product to a new camera system. Consider the BlurFix... It's more than just a flat lens solution. Use it above or below the waves and open the possibilities with the GoPro. Wow, I think I'll step of my soap box. Sorry... LOL

@DrBill - Good talking to you again. I think the GoPro helps the recreational diver get started in videography or us old timers to keep filming. :0) I hate heavy equipment and 3 extra bags to check in at the airport.

I went from an hours worth of kit up down to 15 minutes. The GoPro camera shines in one area far above the rest. Good quality video from equipment you don't need a degree to understand. Plus if it's simple to shoot the diver will do more filming and with more practice yield better video. Most poor video taken is due to lack of practice or understanding how to use the equipment.

But in the hands of someone like you the GoPro will produce unbelievable footage.

Take a look at this film shot exclusively with the GoPro and BlurFix system. GoPro makes a great camera but BlurFix made it an awesome underwater video system.

[video=youtube_share;V6xdrpybesc]http://youtu.be/V6xdrpybesc[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom