Dr. Atkins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now that the good Dr. has passed on how many have used his diet, lost and kept off the weight?

Here is the impact the Good Doc has had on my life.

When I got out of the Army in 92 I was in good shape at 170 lbs. I even lost weight and droped down to 150lbs. But as alot of people in a technical computing field and hitting their 30's I started to gain weight after years of MT. Dew, Donuts and Bagals not to mention the sedatary lifestyle of most computer Geeks I had gained to 251 Lbs. I started the Atkins's Diet last Nov I now weigh 207 lbs and contenue to lose. My goal is to get back to a reasonable size 32 waistline and 160. LBS

Geek

I gave up smoking 2 years ago and my weight crept up to 240 lbs.

I bought the book yesterday. I was reminded to get it by the reports of his untimely death.

Sounds like something I could do. My goal is to get to 200 lbs. which is okay for me since I am active.

The hardest part for me is giving up the beer. I love to met the boys at the Lodge after work.

I'm 5'8" and went from 155# to 175#-180# over the past 2 1/2 years since I quit smoking. I started the Atkins diet 7 weeks ago and am at 158#. I'm pleased with the progress. Like everything, however, it's not for everybody. If you really can't deal with giving up carbs, this plan is probably not for you. I like the fact that although I have to stay away from certain foods, I can still eat all I want of some foods. I'm actually eating healthier than I used to and enjoying it more...at a lower weight.

Almost forgot...Michelob Ultra might not be Guinness (or insert your favorite beer), but it has only 2.6g of carbs per bottle. For me, it was a small condolence, but a plus nonetheless...

Belushi and I are also attempting something similar to the atkins diet. With the Atkins diet you are suppose to stop eating veg and fruit which is now all I can eat!

We decided to modify the Atkins diet so that we cut out our MAIN intakes of carb. So we have given up : Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, Rice and Sweets/Chocolate.

Unfortunately, I'm so picky about what I do and dont eat all I now eat is salads and fruit so there is no way I could do the Atkins diet properly. Also, this link to a website also states that anyone suffering from heart or kidney problems should not take part in any diet which encourages the production of ketones (by product created when the body uses stored fat to generate energy.) As I have under 50% normal kidney function - I have to be a little more careful!

Now I know it seems very small compared to everyone else but we have been doing it a week now and I have already lost 2lb! - small achievement but its still an achievement!!! :D

MercutioATC once bubbled...
Almost forgot...Michelob Ultra might not be Guinness (or insert your favorite beer), but it has only 2.6g of carbs per bottle. For me, it was a small condolence, but a plus nonetheless...

My wife went to the market and bought me a load of "acceptable" foods. Included in this was a 20 pack of Ultra beer. So now I HAVE to be committed to this diet or the Mrs. will give me hell:wink:

I was on the Atkins diet for about a year....it worked great, lost about 40 pounds and felt good. Some other family members went on it too. I got kidney stones and dad has an auto-immune problem with his kidneys which make him take ~5 kinds of medication for the foreseeable future. His kidney doc says hes seen an increase in buisness since the popularity of Atkins diet. I'm not sure either of these are due to the diet, but I know that auto-immune disorders can be triggered by certain proteins, and eating more protein seems to logically increase your risk.
After going off the diet, I gained all the weight back, and have now lost most of it again.....friggin genetics, but am trying other diet modifications rather than the Atkins......anyone who has had kidney stones will do a lot to avoid doin it again.
Only real advice I have is to make sure you drink lots, and possibly even get a kidney evaluation before starting.....you can have up to 2/3 of your kidneys destroyed before you start to notice clinical problems.....

Good Luck :)

Wetvet

I think MercutioATC said it best when he stated:

"I have to stay away from certain foods"

That is just what the Atkins diet provides-restraint.

In western society most people over eat and are required to do no physical activity throughout the day.

Most of the empty calories are from "junk food" that are high in sugar, salt. These same foods are also high in saturated fats. People munch throughout the day(just like Geek Diver mentions in his post) and don't realize just how many calories they consume-most of it being in simple sugar form.

Along comes Dr. Atkins and says "Eat only high quality protein". Well, where in the vending machine do you find "high quality protein"? So now you have eliminated the number one source of empty calories in the average American's diet.

My father in law lost 20 lbs on the Atkins diet. He once told me that he felt like he could not stop eating-snacking all day long. He lost the weight but his cholesterol doubled and his cardiologist said to get off the diet before it kills him.

The human brain only uses glucose for energy-why would you deprive your brain of any energy? I eat carbohydrate like a madman(Cream of Wheat is my favorite). I weigh 210lbs with very low body fat and I admit I do exercise. But I couldn't exercise if I didn't eat carbs-I would feel tired.

As a registered nurse I beg people to eat a well-balanced diet-with lots of fruits and vegetables, don't smoke and DAMNIT EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!

The latter might not sound as romantic as eating a big steak to loose weight but it is the only way that has been proven to loose weight and KEEP IT OFF.

As far as the kidney issues, the Atkins plan does state that while it won't CAUSE kidney disease, it will aggracvate existing kidney issues and cautions those with these issues not to do the diet.

I'm not in agreement with Buff's post, however. I DO find that I'm eating healthier than I did, and I'm NOT snacking all day. After a meal, I feel satisfied. I'd like to stress that Atkins is not NO carb, just LOW carb. I know people who have lost weight, felt great, and kept it off. I personally thought that I said it best when I said "Like everything, however, it's not for everybody."

MercutioATC once bubbled...
"Like everything, however, it's not for everybody."

Best quote of the thread award goes to.....<drum roll> MercutioATC.

Your right - this diet is NOT for everyone! But since I started I have actually lost weight - I never thought I'd actually be dedicated enough to do that!

As well as that, I work in an office, so its very easy to eat cause you can. With a vending machine chucking out chocolate and crisps all day is a junk food heaven. And I am a HUGE junk food fan. Since starting this, I have not had any chocolate or crisps etc. If I feel peckish I have veg or fruit. Much healthier!

I must admit it has made me very tired, so I have started to take vitamin supplementsn to make sure that its not that causing it.

Having NO Carbs is dangerous which is why as MercutioATC said - you have to have some carbs in your diet - even when doing the atkins diet. And for gods sake, if you start being ill - stop!

Back
Top Bottom