Dr. Sanjay - stick to medicine, Stay away from Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAdiver93

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an article found on CNN:

"CARTERET ISLANDS -- This week I did something that I will probably never get to do again. In fact, the government of Buka, Papua New Guinea, could not think of anyone who had ever done it before. I went scuba diving on the coral reefs beneath the Carteret Islands. The reason that no one had likely ever done it before is because the islands are extremely remote, even by Papua New Guinea standards. The reason I will never get to do it again is because the islands are sinking and will soon disappear altogether.

To make it happen, we had to get our dive gear from the town of Port Moresby, which is nearly 700 miles away. There were no dive shops that we could find any closer. Still, we did it because it is important to telling the story of the disappearing Carteret Islands. We really wanted to be able to describe what was happening from three points of view. First, from the air where, with the help of a helicopter, we captured some of the very first aerial shots of Carteret. It wasn't an easy trip, given that for most of the journey there was simply no land around and no possibility of an emergency landing. Needless to say, we were a little nervous until the chopper touched down safely. The second dimension was being able to speak firsthand to the people of the Carteret Islands and understand what they had seen and why they believed their land was being swallowed by the sea. Finally, as the destruction and bleaching of coral is such a large component of the story, we needed to dive deep to the ocean floor to see for ourselves.

Of course, as is often the case, especially in remote locations, things didn't go exactly as planned. First off, I am an advanced diver and have been diving for almost 20 years. Neil Hallsworth, our photographer, has been certified since 1993, and Heather O'Neill, the producer for this shoot, has been diving for more than a year now. When we surveyed the equipment, we realized that while there were three sets of fins, there were only two tanks and only one BCD (buoyancy control device). Given that we were in the middle of nowhere and had no other options, we decided to improvise. Heather decided to snorkel near the surface and, most importantly, keep shark watch. Given that these particular reefs had never had divers, we weren't quite sure what to expect as far as wildlife goes. Neil and I traded off the BCD and at times literally carried an air tank under our arm while diving at 60 feet below the surface - Jacques Cousteau style! It allowed Neil to film never before obtained pictures of the Carteret reefs, which we will show you in CNN's upcoming documentary Planet in Peril. It allowed me to see firsthand what happened to the island of Carteret from the bottom up.

For me, this was one of the most adventurous shoots I have done in the last six years. So, what about some of your best adventure stories?

-- By Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent"

He's been "diving" for that many years and a)doesn't check his equipment before heading out on a dive; b)does WHAT??? at 60 feet????

That's why so many dive accidents are blamed on an equipment malfunction - if you can call a lack of brain a malfunction.

I am ashamed of the fact that he and his buddy are actually certified.

PAdiver93:
He's been "diving" for that many years and a)doesn't check his equipment before heading out on a dive; b)does WHAT??? at 60 feet????

That's why so many dive accidents are blamed on an equipment malfunction - if you can call a lack of brain a malfunction.

I am ashamed of the fact that he and his buddy are actually certified.

Before we leap to conclusions, let's remember that we don't know how the equipment problem happened. Perhaps the equipment had been checked and set out for travel and in the complex logistics of the trip, something got left behind. You are not in control of your gear when you fly to a dive destination, and you would not be at fault if the airlines screwed it up. This sounds a lot less systematic than a typical airline trip.

Now, if you were on that assignment and had gotten that far and encountered that problem, what would you have done? Would you have blown off the dive and just gone back home?

It would have been the safer thing to do, no doubt. We must remember, though, that the safest thing to do in diving is not to dive at all. As soon as we enter the water, even with the best equipment in the world, we have assumed an element of risk. Some things we do are more risky than others. At some point, we have to decide where the line is drawn--what is too risky of our level of training, experience, and skill? The wise diver makes good decisions in that regard.

It really isn't very hard to dive without a BCD in warm water, when you don't need a lot of wet suit (if any) and you aren't carrying a lot of weight. This is absolutely not something your casual diver should do, but I dare say that there are a lot of people who would not see what they did as over that line of risk.

They took a helicopter - meaning they had control over loading unloading. "First, from the air where, with the help of a helicopter, we captured some of the very first aerial shots of Carteret."

It is extremely easy to dive w/t anything - but is it safe?

Whew, sounds like fun from the start (sarcasm). He seems to think highly of himself. First, I found pics all over the web (including aerial) about the islands, so he isn't the first. Maybe the first DIVING the islands, but don't know on that one. Also, he said there was a dive shop. He wouldn't have had to blow the whole trip off and CNN isn't poor, so they could have aquired some gear from the shop. I am sure it isn't a huge shop, but if it was a dive shop he felt nothing then I think they at least had a 2-3 BCDs.

Just my 2psi.

Sounds like a dive with little or no planning and inadequate funding. Considering the source as one an MD and two a popular journalist they definately should have been able to pull something better off. Poor showing by CNN. For a different way of doing things see the BBC's Planet Earth series and some of the underwater photography and diving featured there. They certainly don't pull any of these stunts with their crew.

I'm certain there was no compressor on the islands, so they had at minimum 160 cubic feet of gas......assuming standard 80's. That's not much time underwater. With that little gas, I'd freedive down :)

And I really don't see the problem with them diving without the "proper" equipment. Holding your own tank isn't that difficult, and there were two of them. Also, I generally don't get mad at people for making choices like that, especially if they have diving experience under their belt. If thelocal divers wouldn't crucify me for it, I might try making my own tank holding thing with a board and some rope or webbing from motorcycle tie downs. But, the scuba industry being what it is, I really would likely be crucified for it :)

Don't tell anyone, but an unnamed diver in our party went diving last weekend with a mask, pony tank, and regulator. That's a small tank, a first stage, a second stage, a real SPG, a depth gauge, and a watch, all in one neat package. No BC, no wetsuit, no *fins*... just the bare necessities. Even worse, we all got a kick out of it. :rofl3:

Now, doing an 80' dive with *just* a mask and tank would be beyond our idea of good clean fun, but hey. :D

A BC is a luxury, not a necessity. All you need to SCUBA dive is a container of air and a way to breathe it.

Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... I'd probably have done the same thing.

PAdiver93:
They took a helicopter - meaning they had control over loading unloading.

The former does not imply the latter.

PADiver -- Relax. Now we all know that you were a good dive student and actually read your course materials and obeyed the instructor's word. Good for you. Now chill out and recognize that these guys didn't do this to complete another silly dive industry specialty but to make an expedition to one of the most remote locations on the planet to document the ocean's beauty we are about to destroy. For us "regular" divers, who call a vacation on a fully-catered live-aboard an "adventure", it may seem dangerous and against the rules what those guys did. I'm not saying we should admire them, and yes, who knows whether they just spaced out to take enough gear, but regardless, who CARES? They had a goal and the diving part was only a means to an end. They didn't put any lives in danger other than their own, did they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom