Drager Dolphin Shell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I have a cracked dolphin shell that I would like to replace. Does anyone have or know where I could get a another shell (doesn't have to be new) Thanks,

Try Techme or Danshop, but they are based in Europe and the things there are not cheap. Another place to try is the unofficial Drager Rebreather forum, but I can't remember the URL off the top of my head.

I've seen on some sites that people have actually made their own out of Aluminium, which eliminates the crack shell syndrome.

For me, I've built a steel 'cage' or frame and tank adaptors for my Dolphin shell so that I can use my backplate and wing, and my 2 x 4L bottles mounted (Diluent and O2) on the side. The original spot for the breathing gas can be not be used for an Argon bottle when I return to the cold north (but not as far north as you). I'm diving 30 degree celcius water right now, that's heaven....

Poogweese:
Hi, I have a cracked dolphin shell that I would like to replace. Does anyone have or know where I could get a another shell (doesn't have to be new)
You mean your local Aqualung dealer can't help? Usually useless, that bunch.
What kind of material would you like for your case?
Stock, GRP, carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid, aluminum?

For stock Dräger parts W+S Water Safety are a good source. Website is German, but they speak English and ship ww, as is TecMe . They are pretty expensive, around $300 + s&h!

For custom shells in GRP (about $190 + s&h) and more exotic materials visit
GRP Services . Brent's they man to talk to, he is at Deco Stop and Rebreather World as 'divetheworld'.

Finally for aluminum shells you need to contact John 'jdz' at Deco Stop or Dive-Oz.
He makes those in small batches. Very nice, very solid, less weight on the belt.

Below, from left to right:
GRP shell, carbon/kevlar samples, jdz's alu shells (prepped for paint by owner)

Thank you both for the leads, I'll check them out. I did think about getting a shell made out of marine grade aluminum and asked our local shop teacher (they make boats) if one of his students could take it on as a class project, he said it was too difficult. So...guess I'll buy one! :wink:

Dude, don't spend three hundred dollars. Just use the cracked shell as a form, make a plaster of paris mold of it and get a fiberglass kit from an auto repair store. Then you just make your own fiberglass copy of the original, at most it will cost you 50 bucks. Then spend 250 bucks on going diving.

Some pictures of my monster...Stefan, the pictures as promised....I'm making another 'inner' frame as there is not enough space and the backplate gets in the way of the bypass, and also the backplate tends to rock a little....the new mod should be ready sometime next week....but won't be able to test it again until after my Prince of Wales trip....

kennethw:
...I'm making another 'inner' frame as there is not enough space and the backplate gets in the way of the bypass ....
That looks pretty solid. :D
Nice craftsmanship on the metal work. Really like the big handle, wish they all had that.
Dräger's 'loose' bits inside always bothered me some, I like it better then only the counterlungs move about and the rest of the bits a fixed somewhere like on the Azi. The bypass is a prime example, the P-connector another. Thanks for the pics. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom