Dream dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A library of dive books for local dives is handy. People will pop in an inevitably end up buying the book anyway

Oh, that's a GREAT idea! A small bookcase with any local guides and critter ID books, and then a supply of the same books available for purchase. If you have problems with them walking off, put chains on them.

Diver friendly hours would be nice, too, although probably not realistic. One of the only things that makes me think about my own compressor is the nuisance value of fills when you have an opportunity to dive for several days in a row. You either can't get to the shop before they close in the evening, or have to wait until noon the next day to pick the tanks UP. (Although I guess the solution is to own more tanks, we already have 14 and STILL run into this trouble!)

Yeah, more books or a library--that would be nice!

In addition to what others have already mentioned (inventory, etc.), the other thing that makes me gravitate more towards one of the dive shops in my cit,y even though it is actually the furthest away, is that I love that they have several women divers on staff and at least one of them is usually there. Sometimes it's just nice to get the perspective on a piece of equipment from someone built more like me.

2 things will do:
1\Scubapro "professional" service
2\ free air fills for members (sort of a dive club annual fee, maybe?)

I think you should have a 25 passenger bus to take them on trips. Like my LDS has 2 busses, and they go on trips to San Carlos, Rocky Point and San Diego.

Its better than trying to meet the group at the hotel via everyones own transportation.

1) A Haskill booster with O2 and He so that any mix can be made on top of what I have in my tanks.
2) A large compressor and large fill cascade so that you can do 3 to 4 sets of twin 130's without draining down the bank.
3) Pre mix 32% would be nice
4) A pool that is at least 12 feet/3 meters deep to train and try on stuff.
5) Sales people who know gear and are good divers themselves
6) A clean well lit shop that is heated in the winter

I could go on, and on, and on

A decent cup of coffee and a couple of good armchairs and couches. To talk diving, of course.

Divers Outpost in Luraville,Florida has this sort of set-up.
It's kinda like a great room/Livingroom.

Only they have one upped your thought as they are
just about as close as one can get to several great dives
for thier target market, this being the Peacocks Springs System.

The only other things I would add to this would be in vehicle fills,
whereas the shop uses "long" hoses as to not require you
to remove your tanks in order to get a fill.

Enough cannot be said about stock here.
The shop wouldn't need to stock everything ever made,
but should have an ample supply of common items.

And last but not least,great customer service
from a knowledgable,friendly staff with the ability
to turn out quality on the spot repairs if needed.

Do all the suggestions listed, stock your store well, give them great service, keep your store clean, have well trained salespeople, educate them on the pro's & con's of equipment and then get ready for them to come back into your store and tell you they bought their equipment on line because they could get it cheaper!

As I am reading this thread, great thread BTW. I can't help but think we have just a shop right here in town that opened about a year or so ago. Great people, really nice place, state of the art air station (W/seperate entrance) stocked to the hilt. I love the place. The problem, he does not stock a single piece of gear or brand that I like. I have tried so hard to use this shop but can not seem to find anything that works for me. So the perfect dive shop has to have the right gear.

As I am reading this thread, great thread BTW. I can't help but think we have just a shop right here in town that opened about a year or so ago. Great people, really nice place, state of the art air station (W/seperate entrance) stocked to the hilt. I love the place. The problem, he does not stock a single piece of gear or brand that I like. I have tried so hard to use this shop but can not seem to find anything that works for me. So the perfect dive shop has to have the right gear.

Yeah but whats hard is what gear if right for you, may not be right for me. Has anyone come across a shop that carries ALL brands? I mean,the shop cannot get that great of deals by being a dealer for that many brands, no will their staff be as knowledgable, and a lot of gear on hand may get old.

What you should do is find out what gear is needed to be sold, what brands, etc.

:dance:

Yeah but whats hard is what gear if right for you, may not be right for me. Has anyone come across a shop that carries ALL brands? I mean,the shop cannot get that great of deals by being a dealer for that many brands, no will their staff be as knowledgable, and a lot of gear on hand may get old.

What you should do is find out what gear is needed to be sold, what brands, etc.

:dance:
Agreed, So how about a wider range of gear or better yet gear for a wider range of divers. I can live with not getting the brand I like but I would like the style. For instance this place really consentrates on B/C only. No BP, No harness's, No wings. Thats not too much to ask, I don't think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom