Drift Dive Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently on a drift dive on which the following incident occurred. I'd like to get your reaction to the events I describe, especially suggestions for me, the subject diver, and the dive plan. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

There were six of us on a fast, timed, drift dive at 80 feet in a river. We were paired in buddy pairs, and all of us carried reserve gas in pony bottles. Since only I and one of the others had experience deploying SMBs, the plan was for the two of us to deploy our SMBs at the drifting safety stop, with the others splitting up and clustering near us. The dive boat would follow our bubbles and key on the SMBs at the end of the dive. [In this particular setting, dive flags are not used.]

During the drift, I passed one of our group who was on a ledge, struggling to launch an SMB. He was alone and evidently in some difficulty, so I stopped and pulled myself back to him over some rocks, to see what I could do. He was in a state of panic, wide-eyed, his SMB floating before him with line from a dive reel attached to it. The reel itself was clipped to his left chest D-ring.

I approached him from the front. Trying to help, I reached in and unclipped his reel, which only increased his agitation. So I re-clipped it and backed away. When he finally inflated his sausage, it began to pull him up. I saw him ascend, evidently without a safety stop. I decided to make a safe ascent while drifting under him and keeping his fins in sight. After completing my safety stop, I surfaced beside him, and we swam a few yards to shore. The dive boat was nearby. I signaled OK, and we were picked up in a reasonable time.

What I didn't know at the time was that the diver had selected a light-fill tank for the drift dive, somehow reasoning that it would be the best choice. When I spotted him, he was low on back gas but otherwise was not in trouble. It didn't occur to him that he could make a safe, direct ascent to the surface, supported by his pony gas if he should need it.

Seeing me at hand, I don't understand why he didn't signal OOA or simply grab my reg. I also don't understand why he wasted time, gas, and stress in his efforts to deploy his SMB, which he'd never launched before.

Underscoring the level of his panic, he reported that on his ascent he "pushed the wrong button on his inflator assembly," accidentally adding air to his BC, triggering an uncontrolled ascent. Fortunately, back on the boat he showed no particular signs or symptoms. Even so, he was put on oxygen, as a precaution, and he made no more dives that day.

He also reported that he'd run out of back gas on the ascent and had gone to his pony. But when he reached for his pony regulator, he got the (no-gas) octo on the first try. This was a result of having yellow covers and yellow hoses on both his pony and octo regulators.

One more thing I didn't know, but which his assigned buddy did, is that the diver is a diabetic. I now know that he carefully measures his blood sugar before and after his dives. I'm not sure what one is supposed to do with the information that a team member is a diabetic, but in my case, my instinct would have been to play safe and not dive with him.

His assigned buddy had been out of sight behind him. When he drifted to us and saw me trying to assist, he decided to continue the drift, so as not to add to the confusion.

On reflection, I concluded that my action probably only increased the diver's level of panic. Considering that this was not a rescue situation (yet), my best action would have been to position myself in front of him, but out of reach, with my long-hose secondary extended and offered.

Where do you start with this situation? There are so MANY points to cover that went wrong.

As one starting point, I don't care much for that buddy. Out of sight, then seeing you two managing a problem when he continued to drift by? If he didn't notice a problem, then add strike three for him/her. Standing by is not adding to the confusion - this buddy is one I hope I never dive with. If his "buddy" knew he was diabetic in addition to the rest of the issues, it even compounds the above.

Pre-dive preps, both equipment and procedures need some serious review here too. He was going to use a SMB with no prior experience in a heavy current? This is just another way of stating that he took on too many new factors at the same time. I would then wonder if he truly knows his limitations in diving. Is he new? Has he only dived less complicated dives?

It is clear that during all of this he lost situational awareness. Not taking account of his resources (pony) and planning a way out makes me bet that although he may have been carrying one (or may not), he probably doesn't have much training in deploying it. If you're not current and comfortable in using gear, assume you don't have it.

I won't even go into gas planning, gear familiarity (how long does it take to realize that you've pushed the wrong button on the BCD?), or his ability to assess the situation.

This diver was clearly beyond his training and experience. Now I would have to ask myself whether this situation was beyond estimation and should the dive have been called, or was the diver hiding a lack of preparedness for this situation?

Mind you, I'm not trying to be spiteful, hurtful, or in any other way disrespectful, but you posted a situation for review, and my reply was only cursory. There's plenty more in there to cover.

I'd say that this was indeed a rescue situation, whether the "victim" acknowledges it or not. I can't find any direct fault in anything you did, but I will admit that you could have gotten too close if/when he might have slipped into full panic. Your final suggestion would have helped though. Offering up your long hose may well have helped, and couldn't have hurt.

Best of luck. It's good to hear that no one was the worse for this unfortunate incident.

On reflection, I concluded that my action probably only increased the diver's level of panic. Considering that this was not a rescue situation (yet), my best action would have been to position myself in front of him, but out of reach, with my long-hose secondary extended and offered.

It sounds like you did what you could. You tried to help, when you realized it wasn't working, you backed off slowly and stayed close, and were available for assistance whenever you could be.

I agree that the subject diver first and foremost displayed signs of inexperience, and there are a number of things you can say about that or how best to address it.

I'm not sure I agreed with the actions or rationale of the subject diver's buddy. He effectively abandoned his buddy and went solo, and furthermore had no idea that you were going to stay with his buddy for the remainder of the dive. I'd say that deserved a post-dive debrief at the very least.

I do wonder if your above conclusion is guided by unwarranted hindsight. You said you didn't know the diver was out of gas until after you had both ascended. From your description of the incident at depth, it's not apparent that gas was a concern. From that perspective, I would question whether it makes sense to conclude that one should offer to donate air at the first sign of stress/panic due to an apparent SMB issue.

Given what you knew and could see, I do not think you could reasonably be expected to do more. Furthermore, you backed off when you saw your actions were causing stress to rise. Obviously if you had just ignored what you saw the outcome could have been worse. It seems obvious to me that the diver was out of his skill range and so was his buddy.

If he was indeed paniced, that might explain that he seemed inexperienced to some of the posters even IF he wasnt. Panic can do weird things to you and if you dont have any training/experience at preventing and handeling a stressed situation, it dont take all that much to get there, even if your diving skills is up to par. Good diving skills and experience help you avoid it, but can never replace being familiar with stress management.
What seems quite apparent to me anyways is that it was human errors from the selection of gear to handling the situation that caused the diver to spiral into a bad situation and you as the "rescuer" did exactly what me (and hopefully most other divers) would do - offer the help you could.
The buddy, given that we dont have much to go on with regards to what he was doing or possibly dealing with through this incident, also made some rather serious human errors..

Wow screwed up dive. As others said, the guy was definitely in over his head.. I would NOT have re-clipped the reel to his BC, you should have known that was not going to turn out well. Other than that, what the heck else can you do with a diver like?

Also, the dive sounds like trouble with 6 divers, and only two divers that can deploy smb's.. Was there two teams of three, each with a designated "float-man"? or 6 guys and two have floats?

As for his gear configuration (regulators in particular)..I personally think a diver should NOT have an octopus when he has a pony bottle. Two second stages are enough to handle and the third has a big potential to cause confusion (as what appeared to happen in this case). The inability to quickly and smoothly switch from the empty primary to the pony reg, might possibly have been a large contributor to the problem. I really think the pony bottle diver should have his pony reg, on a bungi around his neck (assuming it is back mounted).

Last edited:
Where do you start with this situation? There are so MANY points to cover that went wrong.

As one starting point, I don't care much for that buddy. Out of sight, then seeing you two managing a problem when he continued to drift by? If he didn't notice a problem, then add strike three for him/her. Standing by is not adding to the confusion - this buddy is one I hope I never dive with. If his "buddy" knew he was diabetic in addition to the rest of the issues, it even compounds the above.

Hmmm....Thought provoking stuff..........

Is there such thing as a buddy questionnaire? You know the sort of checklist type thing where if you get a score of 1-30, not buddy material, 30-50, risky, 60-80, moderately OK, 80-100, a good bet? (these are just examples, but you get the idea).

Has anyone ever penned such a quiz? If not, how about how about starting a thread that would gather suggestions for a decent buddy interview form/checklist?

My buddy checklist is rather straight forward..
1. Make sure you can always help your buddy.
2. Never take for granted your buddy can help you.

Wow screwed up dive. As others said, the guy was definitely in over his head.. I would NOT have re-clipped the reel to his BC, you should have known that was not going to turn out well. Other than that, what the heck else can you do with a diver like?

The OP could have handed the deployed SMB to someone else in the group. Even though the others couldn't shoot a bag, they could most likely roll up the line, or just ascend on the line. Then rescue the paniced diver (take his SMB, and ascend with him to the surface, sharing air as necessary.)

This really depends on whether you assume that the other guy with the SMB was just stressed or completely frozen and useless, and whether you think you could get him to the surface safely.

Sometime you just have to make a call and go with it. If someone gets pi**** it really doesn't matter as long as everybody ends up on the surface unhurt.

Terry

My buddy checklist is rather straight forward..
1. Make sure you can always help your buddy.
2. Never take for granted your buddy can help you.

I was thinking more along the lines of questions like:
-are you taking any meds?
-are you diabetic
-do have experience of this type of dive?
-are you claustrophobic?

etc, to get an idea of who/what you are dealing with and whether or you want them as a buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom