Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Situation 3: You are in rough sea. You handed one fin on board. Then the second. Then a strong wave knocked you off the ladder, as your BCD was inflated.

Next time, empty your BC as you approach the dive boat so you are as close to neutrally buoyant as possible, so the BCD does not yank you off the ladder.

I would float with or without the reg in my mouth, depending on how many psi I have in the tank. Wait for the boat to throw a line out for me, if the current is too strong. If you are a good swimmer, try to swim with your arms and legs. Remember to partially deflate your BC when hanging on the ladder in rough sea.
Nothing to do with a drift dive...

I vaguely remember watching a PADI drift diving video, about how relaxing it is just to go with a current. However, it can be the most stressful and dangerous form of diving there is. Diving in still water or on a protected shore is still ideal for beginners. Drift diving often involves being on a boat, which carries its own risks, especially in areas where anchoring is not permitted.

Reefs is static. It runs north and south, or east and west. Current is not. And wind is not. Now you have 3 vectors - 1. The divers who want to follow the reef. 2. The current that wants to carry the divers. and 3. The wind that wants to carry the flag.

Unless all 3 are along the same direction... drift diving is not as simple as drifting with the current.

Next... you add moving unanchored boats ...

Next ... you add waves, rigid dive ladder, losing a fin while you try to hand it on deck...

Next ... you add low on air or out of air

Next... you add surfacing without a dive flag and without a surface marker device....

I am not sure if a "drift diver" or "boat diver" specialty course can prepare a beginner for diving when the combination of the above is together.

I would like us to envision situation where in a drift dive, you have experienced difficulty and how to prevent it and deal with it safely.
To each his own. I found drift diving to be the easiest kind of diving I've ever done. Far easier than a shore dive where you have to hike your gear through the sand and down into the water (and back out) then have to worry about navigation, rip tide, etc.

I assume you're posting on someone else's behalf? If you're a divemaster candidate and are running low/ooa on drift dives you might want to get some more practice before finishing that DM class. As a DM you're going to need to have at least close to the best SAC in the group you lead. I often read about DM's regularly sharing air with customers that have a higher SAC. Even if you don't do that, you're still going to need to be the last guy back on the boat.

Normally you carry a dive flag when drift diving. In some places (Cozumel) you don't but I think that's the exception rather than the rule in my limited experiences. In Flordia, all the boats require each buddy pair to have a flag.

You jump in the water, descend, see what is along the way. Then (before you run out of air) you ascend. The boat will be right there because the captain followed your flags. Get back on the boat and do your S.I.T.. Repeat, go home.

I'd say it's easier than a regular boat dive because you don't have to worry about navigation or swimming.

I'd say it's easier than shore dives because you don't have to deal with beaches. You also don't have to trudge through the shallows doing the stingray shuffle until you get deep enough to swim.

I guess in the end it's all a matter or personal opinion... It's probably influenced mostly by what you're used to doing wherever you usually dive.

Situation 4: You are a brand new OW diver. You went to Cozumel as it the "bestest" diving in the world. They say "You've got to dive the WALL"... Your friendly Aquaworld dive center said... yes, please... we have a space for you. Beginner OK... Safe dive!

You rented your gears... You felt cold and got a 5 mm wetsuit that was a little too tight. You asked the DM how much weight... he said "Diez no mas!". And gave you a belt.

You struggled and struggled... things just don't work out. Problems with the Octo... BC would not stay inflated... They switched things for you, and you just don't feel well. You are sea sick.

You are the last one to jump in as all said... jump ... dive dive dive... You can tell the DM is pi***** in the water. You jump in, and dump all the air in the BC but would not sink. Dive master with angry face swam up, and shoved two 5 lbs in your BC pocket.

What should you do??

A. Go back to the boat.

B. Dive....

You chose B.

As you were screwing around on the surface, the current blew every one east of the wall... you ascended on sand bottom, and the DM swam as fast as he could to the ledge... You reached the ledge.. Your spg noted 800 psi at 80 ft. What should you do?? Enjoy the WALL and let the DM know when you are down to 500 psi?? You can not reach him, as he is waaayyyy up front.

These are real situations... and happens all the time!

...In Flordia, all the boats require each buddy pair to have a flag.
That will depend on the dive op you go out with. We've gone with Narcosis and Pura Vida, both awesome outfits to dive with, both only had the DM w/a flag. If you surfaced with him/her great, if not, you deployed your DSMB.

EDIT: @fisherdvm stated it well... both of these were in WPB.

If you're a divemaster candidate and are running low/ooa on drift dives you might want to get some more practice before finishing that DM class. As a DM you're going to need to have at least close to the best SAC in the group you lead.

I am not a divemaster. I got my DM cert 10 or more years ago, but never worked as a DM outside of assisting with several classes back then. I am just an average diver, with below average skill. Not like the flamers on SB who never have experienced any mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom