Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Situation 4: You are a brand new OW diver. You went to Cozumel as it the "bestest" diving in the world. They say "You've got to dive the WALL"... Your friendly Aquaworld dive center said... yes, please... we have a space for you. Beginner OK... Safe dive!

You rented your gears... You felt cold and got a 5 mm wetsuit that was a little too tight. You asked the DM how much weight... he said "Diez no mas!". And gave you a belt.

You struggled and struggled... things just don't work out. Problems with the Octo... BC would not stay inflated... They switched things for you, and you just don't feel well. You are sea sick.

You are the last one to jump in as all said... jump ... dive dive dive... You can tell the DM is pi***** in the water. You jump in, and dump all the air in the BC but would not sink. Dive master with angry face swam up, and shoved two 5 lbs in your BC pocket.

What should you do??

A. Go back to the boat.

B. Dive....

You chose B.

As you were screwing around on the surface, the current blew every one east of the wall... you ascended on sand bottom, and the DM swam as fast as he could to the ledge... You reached the ledge.. Your spg noted 800 psi at 80 ft. What should you do?? Enjoy the WALL and let the DM know when you are down to 500 psi?? You can not reach him, as he is waaayyyy up front.

These are real situations... and happens all the time!
You really need more training. The correct answer to this situation is: stay on the boat.

I think fisherdvm is a divemaster candidate that is practicing his skills on SB.
Another flamer I need to block!. Thank god for the block function!

Reefs is static. It runs north and south, or east and west. Current is not. And wind is not. Now you have 3 vectors - 1. The divers who want to follow the reef. 2. The current that wants to carry the divers. and 3. The wind that wants to carry the flag.

2hcvm1.jpg

I love drift diving. I find it far, far, far more relaxing than diving from a static boat.
  • The boat is not anchored.
    • It follows your flag
      • You don't have to find it...
      • It finds you!
    • If you lose the diver with the flag, pop a sausage!
      • The diver with the flag is never lost!
      • I like to be the one pulling the flag!
  • Currents are easily managed
    • Read the meme above
    • Does not always apply if you're the one with the flag! :D
    • Don't follow DMs who fight the current!
  • Never, ever hand your fins up to the boat crew!!!
    • You might need them if you fall off the ladder!
    • Loop the straps over your hands so you can climb the ladder
    • Don't throw them onto the deck or hand them to crew!
  • Running low on air is the same drifting or diving from an anchored boat
    • Don't do it!
    • Check your and your buddy's air often.
      • Start to ascend when your air is ten times your depth (500psi minimum)
    • If you ascend before everyone else, simply pop a sausage so the boat knows to come pick you up!

Attachments

• 1o2223.jpg
    1o2223.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
I love drift diving. I find it far, far, far more relaxing than diving from a static boat.
  • The boat is not anchored.
    • It follows your flag
    • If you lose the diver with the flag, pop a sausage!
  • Currents are easily managed
    • Read the meme above
    • Does not apply if you're the one with the flag! :D
    • Don't follow DMs who fight the current!
  • Never, ever hand your fins up to the boat crew!!!
    • You might need them if you fall off the ladder!
    • Loop the straps over your hands
    • Don't throw them onto the deck or hand them to crew!
  • Running low on air is the same drifting or diving from an anchored boat
    • Don't do it!
    • Check your and your buddy's air often.
    • If you ascend before everyone else, simply pop a sausage so the boat knows to come pick you up!

Love your wisdom. Like I said... I am a diver with below average dive skill. Wish you get rid of that "DM candidate"... I have been flamed more than I like for that....

I love drift diving although it took me a while to learn to relax and enjoy the ride. Once I stopped fighting the current I was able to enjoy the dive.

I also love static diving....is that a phrase? What's the opposite of drift diving? Completely different experience. When I'm drift diving, it's my favorite. When I'm diving without a current and can hover in one place as long as I want, that's my favorite :)

I think many of the issues here are a new diver who is unfamiliar with boats and not experienced being in the ocean. And then we have added crappy gear, over weighting and poor DMs. None of which are related to the drift dive.

If you have never been in rough seas before, diving as a new diver is not a great place to start.

I did a drift dive in Cozumel during a lightning storm and that was not so fun but that was not because of the drifting...

What's the opposite of drift diving?
The opposite would be walking on the shore. :D :D :D We all know what you mean when you say "Static Diving". It means that you're diving from an anchored or moored vessel.

If you have never been in rough seas before, diving as a new diver is not a great place to start.
I have been nursing a partially torn Achilles Heel. I don't do over 4 ft seas. You should always be able to call a dive at any time, for any reason, with no questions asked and no repercussions. There is nothing down there worth getting hurt or even dying for.

I am not a divemaster. I got my DM cert 10 or more years ago, but never worked as a DM outside of assisting with several classes back then. I am just an average diver, with below average skill. Not like the flamers on SB who never have experienced any mistakes.
200-500 dives? Is this an accurate score of dives you have undertaken or a mistake? Please don't take offence by this as I am genuinely trying to gauge your experience level. Please could you give me an idea of the sort of diving you do and where. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom