Drinking water in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on where you are staying. At Hotel Cozumel the general rule we follow is "Don't let any water from the tap get into your system. Use the bottled water that comes with your room to brush your teeth and drink." There are big "office water coolers" around the hotel and at the bars where you can refill anytime. The ice and any water used/drunk in the restaurants and bars is purified so as not to upset the American digestive system. Some of the resorts have purification systems and I can't speak for which ones they are. Cipro is available at the pharmacopias and seems to work pretty well on the little nasties if they should get into you. We always carry imodium with us. Best advise - ask the resort and be prepared.

Good luck and have fun!!

I've had water out of the tap to drink at Fiesta Americana without a problem.

Casa Mexicana in town has a purification system, so their tap water is drinkable (and there are signs in the room to let you know.) The other places we have stayed - Caribe Blu, Villablanca & Villa Las Anclas - have all provided bottled water for drinking, brushing your teeth, etc.

cruiser:
I've had water out of the tap to drink at Fiesta Americana without a problem.
cruiser - so do they have an in-house purification system at FA? Or were you just winging it with no detrimental results?

I've had water out of the tap to drink and ice @the bars with no problems @the reef club-wyndham

gb

I don't mean to criticize, but I submit that when someone says that they have drunk the tap water at such-and-such resort or hotel with no adverse effects, that should not be taken as proof that the water system there is OK to drink for all times for all people. Some places have purification systems on line and some don't, and it would in my opinion be prudent to find out specifically whether the place you are staying has such a system. In a place that doesn't, you still might not have a problem, but you might, and it can be a big risk to your vacation to take the chance. When in doubt, I use bottled water instead of water out of the tap.

Don't worry about the ice; there are only a couple of ice plants on the island, and they use purified water.

Even if the hotel has purified water, you will usually find that bottled water is available and better tasting. I have never had any problem brushing my teeth in tap water even in the southern resorts.

Back
Top Bottom