DRIS 1000 still best of this style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1000 lumen Cree LED is still more-or-less the state of the art AFIK.

You can get cheaper lights and/or lights with more LEDs, but the DRIS lights are still a good value, IMHO, when you consider performance, price, and quality/vendor support.

I use 4 of the larger DRIS 1000 lumen lights modified for video use. I use four for better area coverage, not intensity. I had an opportunity to test some lights with two and four LEDs and the difference is hardly noticeable to the eye due to the non-linear way light intensity scales.

I keep an eye on the light threads and the Chinese importer web sites and haven't seen anything out there yet I'd be willing to get as a replacement for my DRIS lights.

For video use there are some newer lights with a more uniform spread than the DRIS lights that would be a good option for someone starting fresh.

I have a hard time turning my DRIS lights on, especially with heavy gloves. I have small hands with a little bit of neurological weakness from a neck injury. Any tips to make them easier to turn?

Try wrapping a strip of velcro (the hook side) around the head of the light. This should give you some extra grip.

I will admit to only scanning that article because all I am concerned about right now is if the light you are selling is brighter or not then the DRIS 1000. Is that in the article or does that article just describe the difference between LUX and LUMEN and how they relate to diving?

I've compared the two and the R1 is at least as bright as the DRIS 1000 when placed side by side. It's close enough I can't tell you if it's really brighter or not but it appears so to me. I have drowned out a canister light with my R1.

The article describes the difference between LUX and LUMEN. Short version, LUMEN isn't a good indicator of light brightness underwater. Too many variables exist that can make a 220 lumen light brighter than a 1000 lumen light. :wink:

Could you clarify what you are looking to improve compared to your Dorcy? As far as I can tell, it's a great backup - decent brightness, nice beam, and batteries last a long time. For tropical night dives most people recommend a light that's not too bright but has a wider angle (which should be great in clear water). DRIS might be both too bright for night life and the beam angle might be too narrow. (BTW, I don't own one, so I am basing it on youtube videos/online reviews).

I recently got a Hollis LED 3x adjustable beam light which might work great for you. It has about the same brightness as Dorcy, but beam angle goes from 8 to 31 degrees. Seems like that should be perfect for you. Tight beam for signaling, wide beam for critter watching. Dive Gear Express has it on sale for $49, which is an unbelievable deal (Diving Hand Held LED Lights - Dive Gear Express). I paid $69 last month, and they sold for $130-140 shortly before that. I am guessing Hollis might be discontinuing them, so DGE is clearing them out.

I use the same dorcy as a backup or a looking in holes light. I use an intova wide angle for night dives. Little smaller than the dorcy with a 45 or 46 degree spread with no hot spot. Not ideal for everything, but perfect for easy tropical night dives with good vis. I'll try to dig up a link.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 05:11 AM ----------

Tovatec Wide Angle Torch, 220 Lumens:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

These were the darlings of SB a year or two back: Penetrater 220

They are not going to be as bright as the DRIS but are also less expensive. If you don't need such a bright light then these could be an alternative choice.

I have purchased from Piranha before and their customer service is great.

These were the darlings of SB a year or two back: Penetrater 220

They are not going to be as bright as the DRIS but are also less expensive. If you don't need such a bright light then these could be an alternative choice.

I have purchased from Piranha before and their customer service is great.

Please reread the first sentence of the first post.

i do agree with you and have a few myself, all from piranha.

Please reread the first sentence of the first post.

i do agree with you and have a few myself, all from piranha.

Haha, I think I had a senior moment. I did read the first post but some time ago, which is probably why I didn't post. Maybe someone else will find the post useful. Although we both know where to find a Dorcy a newbie may not.

I am interested in the thread though and I have yet to hear of an alternative to the DRIS except for the Seac R1.

. . .
I am interested in the thread though and I have yet to hear of an alternative to the DRIS except for the Seac R1.

OP here. Thanks to the replies, my concern has shifted from whether the DRIS 1000 (or SEAC R1) is the brightest and otherwise best of its style to whether it may be TOO bright (and/or too narrow beam) for reef night diving.

I need to make a choice quickly--trip coming up.

LOL. I did my first night dive in many years New Year's Eve and didn't have a gut feel how my array of 4 DRIS lights would fare so dusted off my old UK600. I was a bit surprised how little light the UK600 threw compared to the DRIS array. It was perfectly adequate back in the day, but I left it at home.

It is easy enough to put a diffuser in front of the DRIS light if you think it's too bright---check out the "external white diffuser" in post 50 here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup-5.html

It's a bit of white fluorescent light diffuser you can get in most hardware stores. It will spread the light 180 degrees! but will also reduce the intensity quite a bit. It might be ok for a night dive where your eyes will adapt, and is easy to remove if you try the inner tube attach method I show in the thread.

You can also simply remove the diffuser, but they are gluing the lights shut now. You can still open them but it violates the warrantee. (PM me if you want to know how)

LOL. I did my first night dive in many years New Year's Eve and didn't have a gut feel how my array of 4 DRIS lights would fare so dusted off my old UK600. I was a bit surprised how little light the UK600 threw compared to the DRIS array. It was perfectly adequate back in the day, but I left it at home.

It is easy enough to put a diffuser in front of the DRIS light if you think it's too bright---check out the "external white diffuser" in post 50 here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup-5.html

It's a bit of white fluorescent light diffuser you can get in most hardware stores. It will spread the light 180 degrees! but will also reduce the intensity quite a bit. It might be ok for a night dive where your eyes will adapt, and is easy to remove if you try the inner tube attach method I show in the thread.

You can also simply remove the diffuser, but they are gluing the lights shut now. You can still open them but it violates the warrantee. (PM me if you want to know how)

Worthwhile for a photographer, but probably too much effort for a diver who just wants a decent light for viewing the reef at night.

Back
Top Bottom