Driving to Uxmal and luggage storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are first spending a week in Cozumel then two nights visiting the ruins before spending another week in Playa del Carmen.

When driving from PDC to Uxmal which road is the best? When I write the two places in Google map it propose a route through Tulum and then further southward. Most of the threads I have read talk about the toll road north. This is listed in google as 30 min longer. Which would you recommend? How much money do the toll roads cost to Uxmal?

I'm gonna send a mail to the hotel we will stay at in PDC after the ruins regarding the possibility of storing our luggage there. But it's not a very big hotel so not sure if this is an option. And I would also like to know if anybody know if there is other options. I have read there are storage boxes at the bus station..? Having the luggage in the rental car when visiting the ruins is not an option. Anybody been in the same situation or have some suggestions?

With the new "freeway" through Playa I would guess the toll is faster. Just follow the road to Canucn till you hit the toll then follow it to Merida. DO NOT drive through Merida, take the loop around the city then connect to the road to Uxmal. If you do the other way its very similar. You drive down to Tulum then take the road to Coba and continue on to Valladolid where you get on the toll road. At least thats my take on what you are describing. Before the new road through playa opened up (a month or so ago) you could waste 30 or more minutes just driving out of Playa. Now I assume its much faster.

I don't remember how much the toll was? We took it from Cancun to Valladolid by mistake once. It's nice, altho a little boring. Be sure to fill up with gas as you leave PDC and pick up a few gallons of water.

Last time, we went south along the coast to Tulum, then northwest thru Coba (not further southward) to Valladoldid, where you can take the loop around to the toll road then continue on to Merida. The road was under construction for a few miles last summer; I can only guess it's finished but was not much of a problem.

Excellent maps with lots of info: cancunmap.com-Your information source

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom