Drowned snorkeler off Lanai -- any more details?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed this article in the County / In brief on mauinews.com:

Visitor drowns while snorkeling

LANAI - A 55-year-old Washington state woman drowned while snorkeling in waters off Lanai on Dec. 5, police said Tuesday.

The woman, Pamela Siegman, of Kent, Wash., was snorkeling with a Lahaina Divers scuba group around 11:30 a.m., said Lt. John Jakubczak of the Criminal Investigation Division.

The group was 200 to 300 feet southwest of a lighthouse on Lanai when Siegman was found on the ocean floor, he said. The unconscious woman was brought up to the boat, but attempts to revive her were unsuccessful.

An autopsy done Thursday showed Siegman drowned, Jakubczak said. There was no foul play involved, he added.

"Our condolences are certainly with the family," said Greg Howeth, president of Lahaina Divers.

He said he couldn't comment further because an investigation is ongoing.

County / In Brief - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

Does anybody have further details? This seems to not tell the entire story.

I was there when this incident occured. I'm really not sure how much information is appropriate to be shared on a public forum but I can correct one thing for the record. She was definitely diving on SCUBA. Why the're talking about snorkeling I have no clue. It was a very tragic accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the surviving family.

I was there when this incident occured. I'm really not sure how much information is appropriate to be shared on a public forum but I can correct one thing for the record. She was definitely diving on SCUBA. Why the're talking about snorkeling I have no clue. It was a very tragic accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the surviving family.
If you were a witness and not an involved party, I don't understand what would be inappropriate for you to share... If you'd rather share privately, I'd love to hear about it in a PM.

If you were a witness and not an involved party, I don't understand what would be inappropriate for you to share... If you'd rather share privately, I'd love to hear about it in a PM.

I was on board that charter as well. There were many, many contributing factors that lead to this tragic accident. Multiple, very easily avoidable and certainly preventable mistakes were made. I have been torn about writing about this accident simply due to the anguish that it may cause to the surviving family. Having had a ringside seat to witness this anguish is what haunts me the most to this day. However, I also have feelings that these mistakes need to be discussed to possibly prevent future such needless accidents from happening.
I honestly don't know what the right thing to do is.

I will say this however, Lahaina Divers is a first rate dive shop and charter operation. I have dove with them over a dozen times. This group of guys and gals working on that boat acted extremely professional at all times. The actions by a few in the group and the crew on board gave this poor gal her only chance, however slight it may have been, at survival. I have enormous respect for Lahaina Divers and will continue to give them my business anytime I am on Maui.

Last edited:
I have been on a charter with a fatality and I can understand the hesitance to give details. This is a serious legal matter and statements made can be held against people who made them or the organization they work for, regardless of the accuracy of the statement.

Given what's been described, I have one question: what happened to the dive group?

I know of no operators around Maui that are "ok" with anyone other than instructors and VERY regular customers diving apart from the operator's DM and rest of the dive group.

What occurred to have it be that this diver was off on her own?

She wasn't off on her own.

I have already been contacted by members of this board that are close friends and family members of the deceased. I don't want to go into details and cause any further pain to those involved as they are reading these posts.

Once again, The dive shop, its employees, DM's and boat captain, did in this case, and in every other trip I have ever taken with them, exhibit the utmost in professionalism and safety that I have ever seen out of a charter boat operation. My hat is off to them and all of those that assisted in what was a very tragic accident.

Diving is about personal responsibility and risk assessment and management, and then practicing and managing those risks to a safe controlled level.

Practice your underwater skills often people. Get, and stay familiar with your equipment. Dive often. Practice your drills. Be aware of yourself, your surroundings, and your buddy. If you haven't dove in a while and are planning a trip. Take a refresher course.

She wasn't off on her own.

I have already been contacted by members of this board that are close friends and family members of the deceased. I don't want to go into details and cause any further pain to those involved as they are reading these posts.

Once again, The dive shop, its employees, DM's and boat captain, did in this case, and in every other trip I have ever taken with them, exhibit the utmost in professionalism and safety that I have ever seen out of a charter boat operation. My hat is off to them and all of those that assisted in what was a very tragic accident.

Diving is about personal responsibility and risk assessment and management, and then practicing and managing those risks to a safe controlled level.

Practice your underwater skills often people. Get, and stay familiar with your equipment. Dive often. Practice your drills. Be aware of yourself, your surroundings, and your buddy. If you haven't dove in a while and are planning a trip. Take a refresher course.

Well said Jackson, and speaking as an instructor, I can say that if everyone that came here to dive read and applied what you wrote, we wouldn't nearly have as many "close call" stories that we hear so often.

We are the family of the diver and she will forever missed. We have yet to get the full story from her husband. If there is anyone out there that was on the boat when this happened we would greatly appreciate it if those individuals would contact us and fill in the blanks. Any information would be greatly appreciated. You can send any and all information to my email at bigham1130@yahoo.com thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom