Drowning: A peaceful way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if she's still alive, I'd say she didn't drown. IMHO of course...

No she lived. Revieved on the way to the hospital. I guess I do not know what to call it if someone comes back from the abyss. What is it called. Also if you do die and they bring you back to life did you die.

For the freezing thing. I was trained that you know you are cold but do not know you are about to die. You just curl up and go to sleep.

How do you do the quote thing like all you guys do correctly.

That would be a near drowning. Every single one of the drownings I have run over the years including 4 in one week have had there lungs full of water. One was a suicide, she simply walked into the river and went under as witnessed by a cop there. I figured the current had carried her away and waited for the DART team to show. One guy shows up, wades in and pulled her body out from 4 feet of water. Two chest compressions changed her EKG rythem from asystole to NSR with a pulse and BP. I was shocked. Yes, her lungs were full of water too. She was disconnected from life support the next day with no brain activity.
There are many myths about drowning out there. Don't believe everything you hear.

I'm with DrBill except I want to be shot by a jealous husband of a 26 year old babe when I am 100 ;o)

Hmmm let me rephrase my hypothetical question. It's not 'if you had to go, how would you go?' but rather you're in a situation like the Croatian diver where you're trapped in a cave and you're virtually out of air. Do you drown, stab yourself with your knife, or what?

Just take a big breath of water and get it over with.

DA Aquamaster:
If I were prone to suicide, I'd be tempted to seriously hyperventilate to eliminate as much CO2 as possible then do a nice deep free dive resulting in me peacfully blacking out before I felt the CO2 induced urge to breathe.

Of course, I'd also want to do it while over weighted and while solo in a suitably isolated area so that no one would not recover and in time to revive my now badly brain damaged self. That would really suck.

Other than under those carefully controlled circumstances, I am pretty sure that drowning would be a pretty awful way to go.

My second choice for suicide would be freezing to death. Once you get past the feeling really cold part, it's reported to be a very peacful way to drift off and die. Of course with my luck some well meaning jerk would find my badly frostbitten carcass and "save" me in time to enjoy the painful loss of lots of frostbitten body parts.

lol DA have you heard of the 'american dream'??? you just basically described it!
In my boarding school some dudes always did it, you basically bent over , hyperventilated heavily for about 20-25 seconds, then a big guy would stand behind you and choke you with a headlock.... it takes about 3 seconds before the person becomes limp. you wake up not knowing where you are...it is one of the freakiest things ive ever seen and i would NOT recommend it!

In relation to drowning ive only had one close encounter when i was training my self to hold my breath (lol) I was swimming underwater laps in my school pool. I remember feeling the urge to surface but i continuously ignored it. after the first few 'urges' i began to lose awarness and i felt like i was in a heavy daydream, ...luckily i was still conscious enough to realise that i now seriousely needed air!, i remeber sort of floating upwards toward the surface . when i reach it i had a pretty sever twitch which lasted about a minute ....then i left the pool freaked out !lol

What makes drowning (seem) far from peacefull is the fear of dying, not the fact that you are dying, I think.
Somoene mentioned that drowning could be very similar to suffocating. If so, Id say its not really bad at all, as long as you dont let yourself freak out..
Both through my different jobs and through my MMA training I have suffocated and been blood choked many times. Losing the blood flow to your brain is faster, but none of them are particulary painfull at all.. Choking takes a while as you need to use the o2 you already have inhaled before you pass out.
Blood chokes make you unconcious near instantly if they are well performed and can kill you in as little as 10 seconds and SHOULD NOT BE TRIED AT HOME! (or at the bar or anywhere else)

occrider:
The article then goes on to say that drowning is in fact a peaceful way to go.

Well, I have died a lot. Drowning is most preferred over getting ripped apart by a Lion. I however is not as good as dying in your sleep. OTOH, I like drowning much better than getting hit by a train. But of course it is not as fast as the good OL' getting hit by lightning thing! My favorite way to die of course is while having sex! Sorry if this is too much info! :mooner:

RonFrank:
Well, I have died a lot. Drowning is most preferred over getting ripped apart by a Lion. I however is not as good as dying in your sleep. OTOH, I like drowning much better than getting hit by a train. But of course it is not as fast as the good OL' getting hit by lightning thing! My favorite way to die of course is while having sex! Sorry if this is too much info! :mooner:
And on the other hand, people have survived being struck by lightning and when I was in the military, a SISU was driving near a powerplant in the AO. The VHF antenna had come loose (its normally tied down, forming an arch) and hit the 300k volt air-stretched cables coming out of the powerplant. The Radio operator, holding the handset got a taste of those 300k volts and got knocked unconcious and got the obvious name "sparky" for the rest of that operation.. Sparky did not die, probably thanks to NOT wearing the headset, as protocol was that he should...
So to summarize: Id preferr being blood choked over both electrecution and drowning and id probably preferr drowning over electocution..

Man is this a obscene thread..

RonFrank:
My favorite way to die of course is while having sex! Sorry if this is too much info! :mooner:

So, what ecaxtly was your 2nd choice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom