Drowning: A peaceful way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabasard:
As was posted in this thread earlier, and by me in a different thread, Narcosis + drowning seems to be the way to go IF your going to drown. I had stated that if I had a terminal illness and had 2 weeks to live I would get a FAT insurance policy on me against SCUBA related accidents specifically, then go diving get over a DEEP chasm, next to a reef of course, gotta make it LOOK accidental, then go DEEP wait for narcing to set in then drift off to sleep, The body is not recovered (no burial expense), the sharks and fishes get a free meal and my family gets a nice settlement. I say GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT. Sleep well my companions.

Hmm,.:bablefish
Sounds like a plan

Well, first I have to get that terminal illness, THEN I have to get SB to erase these threads (Can''t have the insurance companies saying I planned it), THEN maybe its a plan, but until all that, DIVE (and come back).

Nevis Diver:
On the day I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro (Western Breach route) I was very tired from taking a side trek to the crater when everyone else was sleeping, like I should have been. Without getting into details, halfway up to the summit I was colder than I ever remember but it was not painful....not exactly warm and fuzzy, but all I wanted was to go tho sleep and I was comfortable doing it. If my guide had not been there, I would have confortably fallen aslleep and froze to death. BTW, I was really glad my guide was there.

What kind of WIMP needs a guide??? :)

It always amazes me when the folks here on SB start regaling us with tales of their exploits. SOMEone here has done just about everything there is to do in the world of adventure, lifesaving, you name the subject. It makes for fascinating reading in between the really important BP/W v Jacket or MOF v NMOF debates. You guys rock!

My preferred way to go is to be shot by a jealous husband at the age of 105.

Be careful what you ask for as God (insert god of choice here), has a wicked sense of humor-"I want to go having sex at 105" is all well and good until the time comes and you find you're in prison, or alone....gotta' cover all the angles.

I would much prefer to drown then die a long drawn-out death from disease, or from my personal nightmare-being burned alive.

In 1974 we were putting in a water ski slalom course. The bouy system was a mess of angle iron and ropes and stuff and anchor blocks. We were putting it in the river and as we layed it out it became tangled. The water was about 30 feet deep. I swam down, no gear at all, just did a dive to the bottom to investigate. It was caught on something I never figured out what it was but I pulled the loop free and headed up. Suddenly I came to a halt as something grabbed my foot. Yep, the boat being used to pull the course out had idled forward and a loop of rope had cinched tight around my ankle. Nothing I did could get the twist from my ankle and I felt myself being pulled down. It seemed like forever, it was zero viz, no equipment anyways, and it was dark. I felt water pouring into my lungs when just as suddenly the rope released from my ankle and I headed up--somehow. When I hit the surface my friends were already in the water trying to find me and they grabbed me. I think they stood me on my head so the water would drain out--lol. I guess my lungs were only half full. I cannot say it was all that peacefull--drowning--but then I did not drown all the way. Good thing too. N

What a freaky thread (and i'm not a sissy). I never thought about suicide and i would never do anything to end my life, and definitely not drowning.

I just couldn't do it. One of my worst fears is asphyxiation. It would be one of those things in which I would go kicking & screaming (if you can with a reg in your mouth). Strange....... the things we fear. I'm afraid of heights (just see if you can get me up a step ladder :shakehead ), but not of depths (I've been 100' down & it not bother me a bit). I'm petrified of asphyxiation, but not fire. Life is full of paradoxes................

There is a funny property to death those who experience it don’t always tell those who haven’t how it was.

tstormwarning:
I just couldn't do it. One of my worst fears is asphyxiation. It would be one of those things in which I would go kicking & screaming (if you can with a reg in your mouth). Strange....... the things we fear. I'm afraid of heights (just see if you can get me up a step ladder :shakehead ), but not of depths (I've been 100' down & it not bother me a bit). I'm petrified of asphyxiation, but not fire. Life is full of paradoxes................

I'm reminded of Woody Allen in the movie Sleeper, when he is asked to go on a secret mission that could involve being tortured slowly to death. He replies: "Oh no, ever since I was a young boy, I have had this irrational fear of being tortured slowly to death...but that's just me."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom