Drowning at Windy Point 10-13-2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divintex: Do you know what time he got separated from the instructor?

My reason for asking is that at 10:58 a.m we were heading down the chain that starts from the furthest right platform (looking out) This is also the chain that passes within a few feet of the wrecked sailboat. At around 80 feet we came across a solo diver (single tank,small hand held light) He was coming up the chain and appeared to be fine,although he did not respond to an O.K? signal from my light.
Any chance that this diver was the victim? I would hate to think that we passed by a diver that had a heart attack a few minutes later.

Edit: Buddy recalls the solo diver as being at 100 feet. Either way we were surprised to come across him at that depth.

Because diving professionals are trained to respond very quickly.

And they probably did. WE weren't there so who is to say they did or didn't, other than those actively involved.

I am still curious as to how this student in the class got the official TOD and was able to post on the internet a few hours after the death and states what the cause of death was and the autopsy results aren't due until tomorrow according to an earlier post. It usually takes a fews days those results to be made known especially if the death was on a weekend and they don't usually send them to the scuba class for evaluation.

You know he may have died of a heart attack. The reporting of events just seem odd to me.

Condolances to family and friends, and MANY kudos to the visiting Fire Fighter/EMT OW class that performed the rescue. If he ever had a chance, these guys ran it to it's fullest. Very impressive team that went to work on him...efficient in every way.

A few of us (EFRs) were preparing to perform the rescue while he was being removed from the water when one of the EMTs ran up and gave his credentials. We immediately passed the rescue to the more experienced and better trained crew. The victim got the best equipment available for his rescue from several well-stocked first response kits and from several contributors. Thanks to all who gave freely...

Watching you guys do your jobs was awe inspiring. I'm just sorry the outcome couldn't have been better for everyone involved...tough day.

Trey

*EDIT* Also, kudos to the Rescue class and others that performed the victim recovery and in-water rescue. Without you guys, none of the rescue attempt would have even been possible. Great job of search, victim recovery, and egress. All involved should take pride in the efforts made.

The wierd thing here is the HIPAA act, which would keep medical records (and findings) private to anyone but family members. They than can choose to release these findings to the public, but I don't think the detective is an authorized person to hand out autopsy results to anyone and everyone. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

I was at Windy Point this weekend. I am very new to the dive scene, infact I got my OW this weekend and had my first 7 official dives this weekend. I am a firefighter and was camping at the lake, and was one of the first people who conducted CPR on the man that drowned. Every effort was taken to try to save his life. It was a sad event. My condolences to his family and friends.

The EMT's were quick, professional, and did everything they could to save him. The response was more than impressive, it was downright awesome. CPR and o2 started no more than 1 minute after his removal from the water and continued until he was taken away in the helo. It was quite a team effort out there -- from the Rescue divers that located and brought him up, to the divers that helped pull him and his gear out of the water, the Instructors who had full medical kits with o2 on site, the EMT's who responded without hesitation and performed CPR for at least 45 minutes, the other medical personnel on site assisting the EMT's, even the students and divers helping move tables and secure gear so the helo could land safely. If there was any chance of survival, he had it.

To my knowlege 45 min before a real search was started

if this is true, that is not acceptable. and if it is true they did not follow standard procedure.
even if it was a massive heart attack, not starting a search for 45 minutes delayed finding him. if you want to tell yourself that it wouldn't have made a difference that's fine, but we'll never know after waiting that long to begin a search.

Might ease up there a bit folks... we all have questions and concerns on the time frame but until the instructor who made the decisions speaks up (and that may not happen), there is no reason to direct harsh comments to a fairly new diver that did the best she could with the information and direction she was given at the time. I am sure the trauma of the day is very fresh to her, as it is to me and others involved on site that day. I'm only suggesting that we let it lay until more information comes to light, if it ever does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom