Dry- cotton mouth, parched throat - solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize if this is not the appropriate sub forum and I can move to scuba gear or tanks
I have done extensive research in the forum about this topic and there are even some detailed physics threads. I am aware that scuba tank air is very dry to protect tanks, carbon filters and regulators.
On a recent trip to a foreign destination, after two dives, I had severe dry mouth and throat. Almost difficulty swallowing. More than I ever experienced (800+ dives) Assumed I was dehydrated and increased my fluid intake. But..the next day a fellow diver complained of the same thing and several days later the divemaster-guide said he had an irritated throat. ( consequently and maybe incidental, at the end of the trip 2 out of 3 had colds)

My questions: ( these are all assuming that you are well hydrated)
1) is it possible for the dive operation to dry the air more than the expected standard
2) are there ways of increasing moisture on inhaled air ( someone suggested mint paste on
the mouthpiece to increase salivation). Carrying a small battery powered nebulizer to use
With saline after a dive with extreme dryness
3) Does the Oasis regulator with its humidifiyng vanes work? Would an Oasis 2nd stage
on my Flathead Zeagle help solve the problem

I also get pretty parched on longer dives. But diving in mostly fresh, spring water. It’s pretty easy to take in a sip here and there.

I am sure it’s not the best solution, but the problem is non existent when diving a rebreather. :)

I apologize if this is not the appropriate sub forum and I can move to scuba gear or tanks
I have done extensive research in the forum about this topic and there are even some detailed physics threads. I am aware that scuba tank air is very dry to protect tanks, carbon filters and regulators.
On a recent trip to a foreign destination, after two dives, I had severe dry mouth and throat. Almost difficulty swallowing. More than I ever experienced (800+ dives) Assumed I was dehydrated and increased my fluid intake. But..the next day a fellow diver complained of the same thing and several days later the divemaster-guide said he had an irritated throat. ( consequently and maybe incidental, at the end of the trip 2 out of 3 had colds)

My questions: ( these are all assuming that you are well hydrated)
1) is it possible for the dive operation to dry the air more than the expected standard
2) are there ways of increasing moisture on inhaled air ( someone suggested mint paste on
the mouthpiece to increase salivation). Carrying a small battery powered nebulizer to use
With saline after a dive with extreme dryness
3) Does the Oasis regulator with its humidifiyng vanes work? Would an Oasis 2nd stage
on my Flathead Zeagle help solve the problem
  1. No, the air is not overly dry. Maybe there was a different issue with the air.
  2. Aside from a full face mask with a drinking water supply, this is the only moisture adding method I have seen. NOT recommending, no idea if it works or what could go wrong. Bio Filter Scuba Air Moisturizer | Apollo USA Scuba
  3. Oasis is an option that helps, but does not solve. You will feel LESS dried out.

Farallon had a air moisturizer that looked like the Bio Filter does. It will add some moisture to your air. I had a student in the 70's that thought it would be a good idea to fill his with Scotch. Huffing Scotch while diving is not a good idea, he didn't get 15 minutes into the dive before he started coughing and had to abort.

Some people bring these fruit juices pouches you pierce with a straw.

Myself I just make an opening on the side of the mouth and either drink or rinse but I got currently a middle ear infection so maybe that wasn’t very wise :)

I dive a full face mask and don't get these issues, probably because the entire oranasal pocket is filled with air so it's a little less dry than just sucking from a typical 2nd stage mouthpiece. I could be wrong as to why but I generally don't experience this. Someone mentioned the Apollo Bio Filter, which honestly isn't a cheap solution, but everyone I know that has one swears by them. I personally haven't tried one but I know my LDS sells quite a few of them. Basically it's a small canister that connects in line with the 2nd stage hose and has a small sponge inside that's soaked with distilled water so as to add just a tiny amount of moisture to the inhaled air. Again with my ffm I don't experience this and it's never been enough of an issue to warranty me investing in one but everyone I know that's used one loves the bio filter.

A rebreather is a fantastic solution to dry mouth. :)

Is a lozenge of some sort a horrid idea? I wouldn’t be as worried about ingesting it. My concern would be accidentally shooting it into the second stage on an exhale. There would be some amount of risk of gumming up the demand lever and/or valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom