Dry- cotton mouth, parched throat - solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put a breath strip in my mouth just before I put the reg in my mouth. I don't worry about aspirating it, like I would with a losenge.
What's the purpose for this other than making the mouthpiece smell minty fresh? Does it make you salivate more?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious... bring a plastic water bottle. The thin-walled, small size ones you can crush in your fist to shoot water into your mouth. One or two will fit nicely into your pockets. Demonstrated to me by a very very experienced AN/DP instructor. It's a bit tricky to screw the cap back on without getting salt water in, so think of them as 1-shots.

It's true, you need to be comfortable taking your primary out of your mouth for 10 sec, but that's an OW skill, no?

I generally avoid disposable plastic water bottles, but this is one application that makes sense, IMO. It goes without saying that you must put the empty pod back into your pocket and not leave it underwater.

What's the purpose for this other than making the mouthpiece smell minty fresh? Does it make you salivate more?

It does make me salivate more, and for a decent amount of time. I sometimes gag from the dry air coming out of the tank.

I agree with @kelemvor, and I have some personal observations. The Apollo does work, but it's expensive and a bit complicated. The Oasis is a small bandaide-the exchange surface area is pretty small, but better than nothing.
All metal 2nd's have a larger surface area and I think the most effective option. I think a metal barrel wouldn't add much more than an Oasis.

A buddy who sufferers from this was using the Apollo. I loaned him a SP 109 and an Aqualung all metal 2nd, both old but great 2nds. He ended up buying a SP 109 and MK10 setup and is happy with that.

You certainly can 'stack' options until you reach the level of comfort you want.

Is there a tendency for divers to over breath because they are breathing through the mouth which causes the mouth to dry. Especially with high flow, easy breathing regulators. Cut back your breathing rate to the bare minimum and you will not get dry mouth.

This is decidedly low-tech and free--it has always worked like a charm for me. As soon as I notice myself getting dry (I seldom remember to do it preventatively), I start moving my tongue all around in my mouth. This is hard at first because everything is kind of dry and sticky, but it seems to stimulate the salivary glands quite effectively and in no time, I've got all the moisture I need. This has never failed me.

Thanks for all the responses.
I was thinking about a handheld portable saline nebulizer that you could rehydrate your larynx and airways as soon as you are done with the dive.
Maybe Biotene before the dive.
ThaecApollo Bio Filter has very good reviews. It does add a little bit more complexity to maintenance, cleaning etc after the dives. Also remembering to keep air pressure when you clean your first stage. Wish I could try it before potentially wasting $200

I chew gum when I dive open circuit. This really cuts down on my dry mouth. I did have to be careful not to have the gum fall into my second stage in the beginning, but now it is a non-issue.

I switched to one of the moldeable long mouthpieces that significantly reduces jaw fatigue but does not let you chew. Although I would worry about gum getting into your second stage, you have a backup ( octopus). My main worry would be aspirating into your airway ( no backup!)
No dive trips planned for a couple of months but will try carrying a small portable nebulizer with sterile saline to try to hydrate the airways immediately after the dive.. at least to see if it relieves the post dive symptoms........

Back
Top Bottom