Dry hood/glove recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just pulled the trigger on a new Fusion.
Thanks to all on the Board for all the informative reviews on this suit!
Now I just need to decide on a hood and gloves.
I have narrowed it down to the Whites heatzip and the pinnacle merino. I live in Ventura and dive the Channel Islands. Although colder water destinations will soon be on my radar.
As far as gloves, I really like the fit of the Whites. Just can't decide between the 5mm or 3mm.
Thanks in advance....
Danny

I have just ordered my own dry suit and I am getting Diving Concepts dry gloves with them. They are the blue smurf gloves and work very well.

A custom Otter Bay Hood is what most of the cold water divers use. Our water gets to 45 degrees at it's coldest though. I have never seen a bad post about them, but have seen tons of positive posts and own one myself.

Wetsuits

Dry gloves for cold water are really nice. The Viking rings can be purchased from Bob3 on this board, then the gloves and liners come from Seattle Marine.

I'd say give some more thought to dry gloves so you don't end up with a "weak link" in your thermal protection that causes you shorten dives.

It's literally a pain to find you're warm as toast except for your numb fingers! :D

Also consider adding an "ice cap" underhood for colder water and, for warmer water, using just the regular hood. You might find that more versatile.

Dave C

Thanks for all the input. I am actually trying to decide between the equipment mentioned in the OP for starters. I am pretty sure they will be fine for all my local needs. beyond that, i am trying to see into the future as far as what i will need for colder dives (I.E. Central Cal and B.C.). Couls you elaborate on the 'Ice Cap"? I am new to dry diving.
I also need to consider that I will be taking pictures in deciding on a glove.
Thanks again...

Danny

Thanks for all the input. I am actually trying to decide between the equipment mentioned in the OP for starters. I am pretty sure they will be fine for all my local needs. beyond that, i am trying to see into the future as far as what i will need for colder dives (I.E. Central Cal and B.C.). Couls you elaborate on the 'Ice Cap"? I am new to dry diving.
I also need to consider that I will be taking pictures in deciding on a glove.
Thanks again...

Sorry for the delay in responding, Danny. I wasn't paying attention.... :shakehead:

An "ice cap" underhood is usually made of 1/8" neoprene with no nylon lining so it seals extremely well, especially on the face. Also, it covers so much of the face that the only skin left in contact with the cold water is the outer edge of the lips.

Since the lips have such good blood flow, they tend to stay warm even when exposed to ice-cold water. Seriously.

With a typical hood in water temps less than about 45F degrees, the area adjacent to the lips isn't adequately protected and the tissue can get very cold. That can quickly cause reduced blood flow and further heat loss and eventually the whole area gets painfully cold or even numb, including the lips since their blood flow was reduced upstream of them.

I use a Henderson ice cap under a DUI Warm Neck Hood. That hood also has a 1/8" neoprene face seal with the smooth side toward the face. This combination seals and protects so well that I've been quite comfortable in 35F degree water for well over 90 minutes.

In fact, the seal is so good that I often find the hoods are mostly dry underneath, even after long dives! I sprinkle talc powder on the ice cap to make the regular hood slide on more easily and the powder will still be dry when I finish the dive!

I like the ice cap so much that I use it on almost all my dives below 70F degrees. No more cold cheeks or numb lips when dropping below the thermocline! :) For winter diving, it's been indispensable and amazingly warm.

Aside from increasing my undergarments, keeping more air in the suit and avoiding constriction, the biggest improvement to my thermal protection was adding an ice cap underhood and dry gloves. Now every dive is wonderfully warm! :D

A pic of the Henderson ice cap and links follow.

HTH. Enjoy!

Dave C

Henderson Ice Cap - Scuba Diving Gear Hood - Compare Prices and Buy at PriceGrabber
703715058_125.jpg

DUI - drysuit hoods for all your scuba diving needs

I just got the Viking bayonet rings from bob3 and dived it today. It's an excellent system.

The fit is awesome, you can use a variety of gloves and liners with it, I went for the orange 620s and light to medium weight fleece liners that I already had, rather than the more typical 660 smurfs. Sizing suggestions from Bob and Karen were spot on, but even if you want to try a different size later on, it'll cost you only $3-$4+shipping from Seattle Marine. It's very easy to switch the glove rings from one PVC Atlas glove to another, takes about 2 minutes, so you can easily experiment should you want to. Keep in mind their thick fleece is THICK. Your hands will be toasty but you will also lose some sensitivity.

The interlocking ring system makes it very easy to both put on and take off the gloves. Takes about 15 seconds to put on each glove and remember, I just got them so that's with zero experience. The dexterity is great, very, very comfortable. If there is a better system out there, the difference cannot possibly be significant.

Thanks for the input. I have decided on the whites 5mm gloves for starters. If I have issues beyond that, I will consider total dry gloves. I am leaning towards the Pinnacle Merino hood over the Whites.
Any opinions on either one of those hoods would be appreciated......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom