Dry Suit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat.O

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning,

Today I'm getting fitted for my dry suit down at IDC, this time next week I will be starting my last ocean dive for my OW course.

Anything I should look/ask for?

If they are the boot attached model, don't have boots that are too large for your feet. They just become big air chambers. Also what Jim said.

I really hope they are going to do a pool introduction to the dry suit with you before taking you in the ocean with it during your open water course. Failure to do so is a blatant violation of training standards.

Get a crushed neoprene suit. The shell suits (I.e., White's fusion) that everyone thinks are so great are IMHO unsuited to BC waters. Very chilly. You have to cram so much undergarments in them to try to stay warm, you turn into a very buoyant Michelin puffball. Crushed neoprene is the way to go. Warm, easy to get into, easy to control your buoyancy. If you want, you can order one with neoprene socks, and then wear an overboot, that will counteract the potential problem of overly buoyant feet.

Get a crushed neoprene suit. The shell suits (I.e., White's fusion) that everyone thinks are so great are IMHO unsuited to BC waters. Very chilly. You have to cram so much undergarments in them to try to stay warm, you turn into a very buoyant Michelin puffball. Crushed neoprene is the way to go. Warm, easy to get into, easy to control your buoyancy. If you want, you can order one with neoprene socks, and then wear an overboot, that will counteract the potential problem of overly buoyant feet.

I love my whites fusion suit and I do not get cold :) It all depends on what you wear for clothing. I wear the whites MK3. I know divers in crushed noprene suits that get cold even on short dives as they do not dress appropriately.

Congrats Kat.O on your OW course, have fun with it and ditto on what Jim has already mentioned.

Thank you everyone! I've written some of this down and will be annoying the dive shop with all my questions :)

I will be getting pool time with the dry suit before heading to the ocean. If that training is as extensive as the training I've been given so far, I will be very well equipped.

A few things you may want to consider, some obvious some not
1) Cost
2) Fit
3) Brand, Bare is local, repairs are cheaper and timely. DUI, San Diego, expensive repairs and 6-8 weeks return.

I personally if I had to do it all over again would get a Bare Nexgen suit to start, affordable starter suit. Local and cheap to fix. If you are still diving in 5 years you can get a different suit then.

Pool time with the dry suit and how to manage runaway ascents, feet up ascents, and stuck inflators before you go into open water.

I really hope they are going to do a pool introduction to the dry suit with you before taking you in the ocean with it during your open water course. Failure to do so is a blatant violation of training standards.

All good points but you have nothing to worry with IDC (International Dive Center) in Vancouver. Very professional shop and they WILL put you through the drills. I did my dry suit instruction with them 2 years ago and I got pool time plus two lengthy and busy dives in the open water.

Good luck and have fun on your course!:D

Back
Top Bottom