Dry Suit Boots question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm a total newbie about this stuff, so I'm here asking questions.

I'm taking a class and it will be my first time wearing a drysuit. We get to borrow a drysuit and hood from the shop, but we're on our own for other accessories. I've already asked a bazillion questions about gloves, but now my attention turns to my feet.

The drysuit has built in boots, but they aren't neoprene - just rubbery footsies. I'm assuming I need to wear something inside them to stay warm, but do I just wear 3 pairs of socks or do I wear 7mm dive boots? And if I wear dive boots, do I wear socks inside those?

How about the gloves? Do I wear silk or neoprene gloves under the 7mm dive mitts?

And what do I wear under the suit? I watched a drysuit video and they talked about drysuit underwear, but the shop giving the class didn't mention that, so I'm guessing we're on our own for that. What do I need? And what else do I wear?

It's Alaska - it's cold water. I'm one of those people that's ALWAYS cold, even in the summer w/ A/C. So I want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for your awesome-ness!

The drysuit has built in boots, but they aren't neoprene - just rubbery footsies. I'm assuming I need to wear something inside them to stay warm, but do I just wear 3 pairs of socks or do I wear 7mm dive boots? And if I wear dive boots, do I wear socks inside those?
You need to wear something inside the boots for extra warmth. If you wear TOO much, you can squeeze your feet and cut off circulation, making them colder. So be careful there (I found this out the hard way). Anyway - I wear a pair of polar fleece socks from L. L. Bean. They're the perfect balance between too much and too little. I bring two pairs - an extra pair in case I flood, and if I don't flood (never have), then I can put them on afterward - because feet get a bit sweaty down there and the socks get damp. You can swap them out between dives.

How about the gloves? Do I wear silk or neoprene gloves under the 7mm dive mitts?
I've never worn anything under my gloves.

And what do I wear under the suit? I watched a drysuit video and they talked about drysuit underwear, but the shop giving the class didn't mention that, so I'm guessing we're on our own for that. What do I need? And what else do I wear?
It depends on what type of suit you have. You need to find out what you will be using. Is it a full drysuit, or a semi-dry, or what? You really want to know ahead of time. I wear a Polarwear T-100 undergarment, and under that, a pair of poly pro underwear - and I'm never cold. I use a Bare XCD-Tech Drysuit.

Wow, St Kitts to Alaska...that's a long way from home....BRRRRRRRRR

I agree with Nudediver, you need to know what type of drysuit (neoprene vs trilam or other) you are renting. Seriously talk with your instructor and talk to the dive shop folks for their recommendations as they dive those waters and have a good understanding of the climate as well as the properties of that specific suit. Remind them you are coming from 80deg waters and may not acclimate quickly to their temps. A set of 4th element drybase or Underarmor long johns (the type that wick sweat away from your skin) will probabaly help in addition to any of their recommended undergarments.

The soft boots of the dry suit probably won't fit in your usual 7mm wetsuit booties so you may need a bigger size if not some sort of rockboots and that in turn may require larger fins. Ask their recommendations regarding terrain you'll be on as well as rentals.

Also check other dive shops in their region for comparison/recommendations and if they rent the complimentary pieces the other shop doesn't include. You may find a better deal elsewhere if it is all inclusive (boots/gloves/thermal undergarments, etc.)

Since you have never dove a drysuit, try to go several days before class starts and get a good drysuit orientation with pool practice and maybe a local dive or two so you can concentrate on your course skills rather than task overloading with drysuit issues. Your safety is worth the extra effort and cost.

Good luck, stay warm, dive safe.

I put on socks much the same way as I would for hiking. I have a thin polypro inner sock to wick moisture away from my feet and then over them I put thick hiking socks.

For gloves, the liners you use depend on the type of gloves. I have crushed neoprene gloves, and I wear two polypro liners. They keep me toasty warm. I used them last August for diving in SE Alaska and they worked great for multiple dives in 45F water.

As far as a hood is concerned I wear a 12mm thick custom hood. It has a 5mm face and neck seal. It really helps to keep your head warm.

Hi, I'm a total newbie about this stuff, so I'm here asking questions.

I'm taking a class and it will be my first time wearing a drysuit. We get to borrow a drysuit and hood from the shop, but we're on our own for other accessories. I've already asked a bazillion questions about gloves, but now my attention turns to my feet.

I would call the shop and ask if they rent the full set of undergarments and everything else you need. They might.

FWIW, I wear two pairs of Merino wool socks and get good warmth down to about 40F degrees. For colder water, I usually add Weezle socks over the two pairs of wool socks and that combination is great for well over an hour in the low-30's.

It works only because I've avoided constriction, though. :D

Warmth will be lost quickly if your feet are constricted. For sub-40F water, I suggest you try to get a drysuit with "footies" and overboots two sizes over your shoe size. Also, the wool socks or other foot insulation should not fit too tightly.

If your mitts have a good seal, they will probably be adequate if pre-warmed and filled with warm water before the dive. I don't think additional liners will help, in fact they may cause constriction.

Call the shop. I'm betting they will rent all the undergarments you need.

Otherwise, for sub-40F degree water, you'll probably need a drysuit undergarment made for those temps and then add a wicking layer, maybe even a fleece chest pad and/or kidney pad. The suit will need to be roomy enough so you still have good range of movement and so you don't get constriction at the armpits, knees, etc.

Also, an ice cap underhood greatly improves head warmth.

Henderson Ice Cap - Henderson Cold Water Hoods

You're in a difficult position having to borrow gear, but maybe the shop will take care of you right.... :)

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom