Dry Suit Diver Gear Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

??? no usable information. Is this all there is ? Type/ actual failure?

dbg40:
??? no usable information. Is this all there is ? Type/ actual failure?

Reading it carefully it would appear he either DID NOT atatch the inflator hose prior to the dive or detatched it during the dive which would be very unusual. Im thinking during his attempt to attatch the inflator it got stuck open somehow and free flowed?? Wierd accident and just posted to see if anyone had any more thoughts.

The article is very basic and misses out information i know about this incident. The dive site in question is one of my favourites and ive heard first hand from the other people and surface cover involved the full incident but a bit reluctant to add to this for obvious reasons.

Im prepared to say it was related to a loss of air (freeflow) and the suit was connected pre-dive but not a lot more.

String:
The article is very basic and misses out information i know about this incident. The dive site in question is one of my favourites and ive heard first hand from the other people and surface cover involved the full incident but a bit reluctant to add to this for obvious reasons.

Im prepared to say it was related to a loss of air (freeflow) and the suit was connected pre-dive but not a lot more.

Can you at least tell me if during the attempt to reconnect the inflator it got stuck OPEN??? This is really bugging me. Perhaps it was leaking air during the dive and the diver disconnected and tried to reconnect to fix the problem????? Speculation again.

P.S. What do you mean by "surface cover?" Overhead envirnment?

Web Monkey:
I have no idea what this means. Is there some sort of alternate drysuit hose fitting available?

Not sure what the actual failure was. Was it a freeflow, or did the failure let water into the suit?

Terry

I dont know what an alternate inflator connector is but I have had to use a spare BC inflater hose when my dry suit hose connecter cracked. It works but is NOT as easy to connect with gloves on.

"Surface Cover" is what we usually refer here to the boat (if its a sea dive) or an appointed person on the shore if its shore diving. In this case, surface cover was a boat. The dive was a non overhead environment standard wall going from the surface to about 40m in depth fairly steeply.

Im led to believe that rather than sticking open the actual inflator mechanism broke/snapped resulting in a freeflow which due to how long the dive had been going on quickly resulted in an OOA. What happened next i may not comment on publically as im not aware of the final inquest/coroners report being released yet. If/when it has been i'll go further.

Is there anything to avoid such a free flow of air when something get's broken or disconnected? Must be some kind of thing (like a safety valve) to stop this auto or by hand?

Like those things that shut off the waterflow when a hose is bursted...

Just curious,

HAiko:
Is there anything to avoid such a free flow of air when something get's broken or disconnected? Must be some kind of thing (like a safety valve) to stop this auto or by hand?

Like those things that shut off the waterflow when a hose is bursted...

Just curious,

Thats what the tank valve is for. Of course if you only have a single tank your air supply will be cut off as well,which is why it is nice to have redundant gear on deep dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom