Dry Suit - Neoprene or shell - which is better (with poll :))

What type of drysuit do you own?

• I own a shell dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 96 43.8%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 37 16.9%
  • I own a shell dry suit, but think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, but think shell suits are better

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 1 don't own a dry suit, but I think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I don't own a dry suit, but I think shell suits are better

Votes: 57 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.dui-online.com/divein/index.html

DUI recently updated the section explaining the differences between the two materials on their website after relentless questioning (Under Products, then Technical). This should straighten you guys out.

I am not sure if the term Hyper Compressed has ever been used by DUI (It may be another companies term for compressed neoprene). Crushed Neoprene (CF200) is a DUI exclusive, and nobody else does it. In fact, I don't even think their Crushed Neo is resin injected, but because the process is a secret, we will never know. From what I have heard, resin injected compressed neoprene suits are an imitation that breaks down over time (but that came from DUI).

DUI's compressed neoprene is still squishy, meaning it has bubbles inside. CF 200, or crushed neo, is not squishy, meaning it is completely "crushed" with no air bubbles. CF 200 is tougher than nails, and will last forever. CN is less durable, but still is a good suit from what I have seen, partially due to a tough nylon liner, but over time the bubbles will break down and collapse (just like a wetsuit), and the suit will wear out. The official company line is that CN will not last as long as CF200, but it is still backed by the 7 yr. warranty.

....I had read it some time back, and the updated info is a bit more concrete. Too bad, we can't be privy to the "secret process." DUI has such a proven track record, so I'm very confident in my decision to get the CF200....it's shipping a couple of weeks....whew hoo!!!! :D

When is comes to the term "hyper," I'm thinking that it's a handle used to communicate "new and improved", when compressed neoprene began to get more technologically improved. Regardless though.....I got the crushed, so I think it's time I end my obsession with "cracking the code." :confound:

Thanks again!

I have had both, I will never go back to a shell. I may consider Crushed Neoprene for the next suit but not a true tri-lam shell.

I dive ~50F waters to ~120' and have yet to get chilled since changing over to neoprene.

The drag issue is huge, I laughed it off when I bought the first drysuit (fresh out of OW class) when going from a farmer John. Once I sold the TriLam and had the neoprene I realized how f'd in the head I had been.

Went diving yeterday in my Bare D-7 supra dry. 1st time for me in a drysuit. Water temp was 46f. I was toasty warm. :thumb:

I'll get to check out shell suits in 3 weeks at DUI Demo days @ Dutch Springs PA. May 18th and 19th.

I wear a regular ole neoprene drysuit (not crushed, not compressed, not squished except at depth.) I haven't used any other drysuits, but I do really like my neoprene suit. Here's why:

It's very warm and comfy. I, too, can wear differing amounts/types of layers under my drysuit and they don't have to be as bulky, since the neoprene also provides some insulation.

Drag is minimal.

Buoyancy change is in its own way a good thing. Using the neoprene drysuit has helped me improve my buoyancy skills a lot.

It was less expensive.

It's very warm & comfy.

I am never uncomfortably "squeezed" in my suit, which I heard (but don't know) can be a problem with bag suits.

It's very comfy & warm.

There are many things to consider. Bag suits and crushed/compressed neoprene definitely have their advantages. I may one day become a convert after I try one. But I like my neoprene suit a lot!

otter-cat:)

I started diving with a custom made 1/4" farmer john wetsuit with attached hood...froze my ass of in Southern California.

Next went to a thin fabric drysuit with a urethane inner coating. Crotch was really low and the suit was draggy in the water, but nice and warm! Would never buy a non-stretchin cordura covered shell suit.

Went to a Parkways neoprene drysuit....much better, warmer, no undergarment required.......a step up.

Went to a Viking Pro vulcanized rubber suit.....fits better, last much much longer......easier to repair punctures although never had any....with standard undergarments is not quite as warm as a neoprene wetsuit with no undergarments, but with a thicker undergarment is as warm....a little easier to swim in, and definately far less drag than the fabric/trilams I see which seem to be really baggy on everyone I see them on.

I believe the vulcanized rubbers are lighter then crushed neoprene.

Gates now makes a pretty interesting vulcanized rubber drysuit....

I can't imagine a suit better then a good fitting Viking or Gates rubber....Nokia makes a vulcanized rubber suit too.....

My trilam and neoprene both have taken about the same amount of time to dry.

Besides what is the difference in dry time? you get home rinse it off and hang it up in the garage/shed anyway.

It seems the colder water folks are more neoprene or crushed neoprene where warmer water like the trilams

Sunday at Dutch Springs I dived in a DUI CLX 450. I like it a lot. I'm warmer in my Bare D-7 Supradry (with less insulation), BUT it's a lot easier getting in and out of the DUI. I could add more undies to stay warm.

Hmmmmm.....................

20+ years, 2000+ dry dives. Just ordered Viking number 5. Can't beat them. Dry head, dry hands, dry everything. I used 2 neo suits before that and was always fighting suit leaks... but I'm sure they've improved over the years.

But them thar Vikings are mighty $$$... especially for those of us using Cdn. pesos.

In theory, the neoprene suits should be warmer, but with a good shell suit, just layer up when it's colder. Where I dive, the water is 34F year 'round once you're down 70'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom