Dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double socks are a good fix if that is all it takes. A little extra warmth in the toes will be just fine. I double sock it even in 60+° water. It is my standard foot covering.

But if the boots are really too large, change them. If your foot flops around inside the boot it isn't going to work. I tried that once, nearly in disaster. My foot was coming out of the boot and the fin was fitting real good to the boot. Good thing it was a simple test and tune dive that was cut short.

Have you dove it yet? Sounds like the suit is used. It should be simple to set up a try and buy dive with it. Diving it you will know a lot more about it then what we can guess about.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah it’s from the local shop, it the owners personal suit for the Great Lakes. I asked him why he was getting rid of it and he just said it’s a phenomenal suit but for what I do now it’s over kill! I jumped in the pool with it and I am going to try to get out this weekend or next to actually dive it.

Back to the boot topic, ankle weights or gaiters? I was looking at Bare gaiters they look like they could double duty as shin protection and keep the air out of feet.

Back to the boot topic, ankle weights or gaiters? I was looking at Bare gaiters they look like they could double duty as shin protection and keep the air out of feet.

Don’t consider them unless you need them and you won’t know that until you really dive the suit.

About dry suits, do you guys have different fins for dry and wet suit ?

I have skinny calves. Gaitors work good for me. If I spent the money on a made to measure suit I could probably do away with them.

I was lucky enough that my new atomic fins fit the dry suit I am looking at.

About dry suits, do you guys have different fins for dry and wet suit ?
Sometimes. Strictly due to boot size. Dry socks and wet boots were way bulkier than wetsuit booties. Took a couple sizes larger. With the latest suit (with built in boots) I can use the same fins as with my wetsuit.

Also a soft fin that works fine for light diving goes to crap when you need to put some power to it to push a wrinkly drysuit and a couple of tanks through the water.

Yes, I have 5 different set of fins that have had different uses. The oversized ones should go away since I don't use rock boots anymore. The old soft fins don't cut it anymore (unless doing single tank resort dives). Another set are for the boat...

Right now, I do use the same fins wet or dry.

the owner of my local shop is getting rid of his Waterproof D1 Hybrid. What came in the original box, minus the box, $1300 out the door. Everything looks to be in good working order and he keeps immaculate care of his equipment so I am not really worried there. Before someone says MY money would be better spent on a Shearwater, I talked to him about ordering a Teric or Perdix for me, I can’t decide which. Back to the matter at hand, the suit is awesome and warm and dry but the boots are a bit large for me. Is there something I can do about that? It will be my main dive suit. Living in Wisconsin and being a hour from the Great Lakes and not enjoying being cold, it would be perfect. My trips to the tropics I am looking into a Waterproof W3. He also mentioned a SEAC neoprene dry suit but I like the build quality of the waterproof. I guess I am asking the community am I supposed to feel like I am swimming around in a oversized snow suit with a rather uncomfortable liner?

You can get the boots replaced.

Personally my opinion is that fit is (nearly) everything when it comes to drysuits. In particular if the boots are too large then it's more than just a pain in the ass. The excess length of the shoe will cause the fin to "drift" and feel sloppy when you kick. Moreover it could possibly slip out from under the heel if you need to kick strongly, which makes it more than a comfort issue. It makes it a safety issue.

You can get the boots replaced but once you have all of the modifications done to make it fit you might find the total price you paid much less to your liking

you can always get a neoprene sock and rock boots to replace the integrated boots. i prefer it for shore diving. i use hollis f1s with my drysuit because the heavier fin works well with the drysuit. jetfins or turtles are the other common options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom