Dry suit undergarment - How to wash - need help :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NinjaSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi fellow divers,

Bought a Mares XR undergarment ( undersuit ). How should I wash this? Temp? Machine or not ? detergent or not ?

Thank you in advance for your help ;-)

If you don't have to wash it because your p-valve failed or the suit leaked in salt water, don't do it.
That’s the advice I’ve gotten as well, especially with thinsulate. Kind of gross given that sweat at least a little when suiting up in warm surface weather.

I've always ignored the advice and washed mine in a washer with detergent like the rest of my clothes. When Merry washes mine, she hangs it to dry. I usually put it in the dryer. I've had a DUI bunny suit for about 1,000 dives and it's still in perfect condition after a few hundred wash cycles.

Machine wash, delicate cycle, cold water, hang dry.

I also use woolite.

I've always ignored the advice and washed mine in a washer with detergent like the rest of my clothes. When Merry washes mine, she hangs it to dry. I usually put it in the dryer. I've had a DUI bunny suit for about 1,000 dives and it's still in perfect condition after a few hundred wash cycles.
You may think so but there is no way this is true. No piece of clothing is in perfect condition after a washing it a few hunderd times. If you bought a new suit, you'd see that it's a night and day difference.
Since you seem to dive in California you might not need a lot of insulation and are fine because of that.

Machine wash, delicate cycle, cold water, hang dry.

Second rinse, no fabric softner.

I put my into the dryer on air fluff to get some of the water out before I hang it.

My personal cleaning schedule, I have four sets of base layers, I wear each for about four days. That gives me about 16 dive days before I throw everything including my insulating layers into the wash. But this might be more often than others due to being in Florida where in the summer I play the game "Did I have a leak or is that just sweat?" Answer, it is probably both.

You may think so but there is no way this is true. No piece of clothing is in perfect condition after a washing it a few hunderd times. If you bought a new suit, you'd see that it's a night and day difference.
Since you seem to dive in California you might not need a lot of insulation and are fine because of that.
I have a new undergarment that I wear when it's not Summer. Both keep me warm. I wear a drysuit year-round in California. I don't dive under ice, but it's not warm here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom