Dry suit undergarment - How to wash - need help :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a new undergarment that I wear when it's not Summer. Both keep me warm. I wear a drysuit year-round in California. I don't dive under ice, but it's not warm here.

What are winter water temps on that coast?

I heard you guys don't get as big a tempature swing as we do.

I'm wondering why yours seem to last longer then mine would if I washed that way.

Yeah, that's not that cold. I can stay for an hour in that temperature with an old busted undersuit too.
The OP's location is Germany... you wont see water that warm before June or July (unless you diving in the local duck pond) and that's only the first few meters.

Still 'perfect' after 'hundreds' of washes just doesn't sound very believable. What is it made from? What the brand and type of the fabric is it?

Looks like it’s made of Plartec/fleece so wash like regular clothes but I would go cold/gentle cycle and hang dry to make it last longer. Regular detergent is fine, or vinegar if it reeks or you flooded your suit in bacteria-rich waters. For Thinsulate undersuits Santi has detailed instructions on their website. Interestingly, Santi recommends washing to restore thinsulate’s thermal properties but most people avoid washing to reduce the suit’s buoyancy. They are very floaty new and less so as they pack down.

If you don't have to wash it because your p-valve failed or the suit leaked in salt water, don't do it.
For once we agree! Lol.

@NinjaSquirrel I usually only wash base layers. They do a pretty good job of keeping the funk away from undergarments. Depends what time if year how often.. but when I smell a funk I'll wash them. I have a few sets in rotation, always line dry. If I do have to wash thicker undergarments I just fill a bin outside with warm water and let it soak with some baby shampoo.. slosh it back and forth some. Hang to dry.

I've owned my 4E stuff for at least 3 years, might have done that 2 or 3 times. Also make sure if anything is damp when you get out to dry it before folding up.. also a sure way to have a nice funk nexttimeyou pull it out.

Yeah, that's not that cold. I can stay for an hour in that temperature with an old busted undersuit too.
The OP's location is Germany... you wont see water that warm before June or July (unless you diving in the local duck pond) and that's only the first few meters.

Still 'perfect' after 'hundreds' of washes just doesn't sound very believable. What is it made from? What the brand and type of the fabric is it?

DUI Power Stretch Pro 300. It doesn't look, feel, or stretch any less in quality than when I bought it five years ago.

... but most people avoid washing to reduce the suit’s buoyancy. They are very floaty new and less so as they pack down.
Floaty is warm, you want that. Dead air space is what keeps the heat in.
The problem with washing is that thinsulate is fairly loose material, almost like sheets of cotten wool. When it gets wet, it tends to get all clumpy. That's why you're not supposed to hang dry those suits. It's also the reason why the better/pricer suits are quilted.

DUI Power Stretch Pro 300. It doesn't look, feel, or stretch any less in quality than when I bought it five years ago.
That stuff you can wash but is not quite as warm but it will hold up better than thinsulate in my experience. Usually, when you wash stuff it loses some fibers every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom