Dry suit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

!

How do you cope with all that weight?

I need 8kg of lead currently (trilam + undergarment) and it drives me nuts, hoping to get by with 7 or 6 in the more optimistic future...

Now that you ask, maybe this is why I stay in the water a long time....I'm postponing the trudge back across the beach! :D

8kg would be about what I would wear with a set of 200gm Polartec for 24C (75F) water. Even then, I'd probably be getting chilly after an hour.

I think you must have a good metabolism and a high cold tolerance to be warm in such light undergarments, assuming your water temps in Croatia are similar to mine! :)

Dave C

I assume you are diving doubles or a rebreather? Or are you really just using the single 120 with a pony you mention below? Or are you using argon to inflate the dry suit?

Diving dry, including putting air in the dry suit and the extra weight needed to keep me down, makes me a total air hog compared to diving wet.

You say you are good for two hours? Granted I was nervous during my first set of dives in a dry suit, but I sucked down an 80 tank from 3000 to 700 psi in under 30 minutes. For the record, I needed 8 extra pounds diving in fresh water dry versus wet. I went from 12 to 20.

Sure does increase it! A definite drawback! :)

But lots of trapped warm air means lots of weight.

It also means I'm comfortably warm up to about two hours in the low 40's. Below 40, about 90 minutes of great comfort is typical, even down to the low 30's.

That's for someone with a tendency to get cold quicker than most people, I think.

Especially on my typical low-activity photo dives.

If you're interested in how much more weight, here are my typical set-ups.

My set-up for 45-60 degree water is:
  • 100 gm polypropylene long underwear
  • 300 gm Polartec
  • a four-layer fleece chest pad about a half-inch thick by 12x18"
  • one or two layers of socks
  • neoprene 3mm ice cap underhood and 7mm overhood
  • drygloves with one or two liners
My minimum weight required for saltwater using HP steel 120 and al30 pony and this thermal protection: 37lbs.

I use about 4 extra lbs because I like the increased warmth.

My set-up for 30-40 degree water is:
  • 100 gm polypropylene long underwear
  • Weezle Extreme Plus
  • the thick fleece chest pad as above
  • two layers of socks (one being Weezle)
  • same hoods
  • two dryglove liners
  • two 3mm neoprene neck bands
My minimum weight required for saltwater using same tanks above and this thermal protection: about 46 lbs.

Again, I'll wear an extra 6 to 8 lbs above that minimum because I've found the extra air is warmer.

And, to add more fuel to the expected controversy, I use only the drysuit for buoyancy control. :D

For the 40 to 45-degree water, I might add a third layer of fleece or wear the Weezle Extreme Plus.

If I'm doing active dives, like scalloping for instance, I might reduce my undergarments by a third or more. Also, I could get by with less insulation for planned shorter dives.

Generally, I'm just finning very slowly, stopping often, poking around and snapping a few pics and staying in the water a long time.

Nice and toasty, I might add! :D

Dave C

I assume you are diving doubles or a rebreather? Or are you really just using the single 120 with a pony you mention below? Or are you using argon to inflate the dry suit?

Diving dry, including putting air in the dry suit and the extra weight needed to keep me down, makes me a total air hog compared to diving wet.

You say you are good for two hours? Granted I was nervous during my first set of dives in a dry suit, but I sucked down an 80 tank from 3000 to 700 psi in under 30 minutes. For the record, I needed 8 extra pounds diving in fresh water dry versus wet. I went from 12 to 20.

I'm an air hog, too, but I compensate by barely exerting myself, ha, ha! :)

Otherwise, other factors that help or hurt my air consumption:

Mine are usually shallow shore dives, max depth about 30' usually. Much of the time in 15' of water or less.

Low-activity dives. I sometimes worry that someone will send out a search and recovery team for me. :D

Low-stress dives (no dive buddy to worry about).... :wink:

I use just the 120cf, but I use all of it. :)

Carry, but don't use the al30.

I use main tank air, not separate argon, for inflation.

The extra weight (and air in the suit) means I use more air than others, but if I'm careful about buoyancy control, I can avoid some of the waste.

Body size also makes a big difference in weight needed. I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. Small people have advantages....

Depending on depth, you didn't suck down that much air. Geez, if I swim against any current at all, I'll use a lot more air! :)

When you used a lot of air, how deep was it? How cold? How much activity? What kind of undergarments? Did you stay warm enough?

I'll bet you're not an air hog, even with the drysuit....

Dave C

I use the T100 from Bare and a micro fleece under it. I have used it on 39 degree dives for 45 minutes and been warm. Don't remember the brand of fleece but I got it at Divetank.com.

I use the Weezle Extreme and it keeps me warm in all temperatures I dive--down to the mid-40s.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom