Dry Suits and Blisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving dry for 5 yrs or so...4 in the same dry suit and undergarment. Up until my last 2 dives, everything has been good. Recently, I have been getting blisters on my shins, calves and ankles. Some are small. The largest is about the size of a quarter and sticks out a good 1/4". I can only assume that it is because of the squeeze. Like I said, I have been using the same suit and undergarment for years. I can add more air to compensate, now I need more weight. I already wear a ton. Was thinking about wearing either a neoprene shin/calf guard or maybe compression socks under the undergarment. Don't know if gators would help. Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent these? Thanks much.

I've never heard of drysuit squeeze ever causing blisters on the shins/calves/ankles of a diver. That's very strange. What's very peculiar is that you've been diving successfully with the same equipment for several years...and you've never had these blisters before, right? That seems to point to another cause.

Before attributing the blisters to your drysuit, you really should rule out other causes of the blisters first. Sounds like some sort of lower leg rash. Depending on the location and character of the blisters, such rashes may be caused by lots of different things: infection, inflammation, autoimmune disorder, allergic reaction/contact dermatitis (poison ivy), parasite/insect bites, etc.

Might make sense to see a physician about this.

I agree with Bubbletrouble. I had a similar thing happen and found out my wife changed laundry detergent,that was it.

I also agree, As you get older things can change and what didnt affect you can, But that seems very odd. Usually there has there is something the is rubbing on a specific spot for a while (Like wearing shoes No socks as your foot moves the ankle moves in the shoe rubbing) I would think it's something outside that your doing before. If you trullt believe it is from your suit I dont see how adding more layers would do anything as you already ahve a layer protecting your sking from the suit. Unless there is something "IN" your undergamrnet causing a reaction. Possibly try diving just with different undergarments Do a prsctice dive with sweatpant/sweatshirt in a pool or somewhere shallow to test it out this way you dont have spend money on undergarments or iuf you have a set of Underarmour laying around if you trully feel its from diving.

Could it be from some kind of mold or mildew if the suit didn't dry well?

Watching this thread . . . . :popcorn:

Are you getting wet in this areas after diving? Wetness and friction are the most commom cause of blisters.

Pretty sure detergent has not changed. Plus this does not occur in other clothes. That's why I thought it could be the squeeze. This was my lighter undergarment both times. Will try the heavier next time. Just don't want to be too warm. Funny thing about this is that I don't notice it until the dive is over.

Are you getting wet in this areas after diving? Wetness and friction are the most commom cause of blisters.

The first time I thought this might be the case since I was sweating bullets. But over the weekend, water temps were much cooler and really did not sweat. Still could be though.

When was the last time the undergarment and or base layer was washed?

I rarely wash my Thinsulate undergarments but wash my base layer of fleece after a day of diving.

Could it be a poison oak or poison ivy reaction? That would be a common place to get it tromping through the woods.

When was the last time the undergarment and or base layer was washed?

I rarely wash my Thinsulate undergarments but wash my base layer of fleece after a day of diving.

They get washed after each day of diving. What I noticed this morning is that the blisters stop at the sock area. Those too are polar fleece. I think I'm just going to toss the socks and try something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom