Dry Torutgas - Ignored or kept secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I dove the Dry Tortugas last year and found the marine park and the surrounding area to be some incredible reef diving. Since then I have looked around various places and see little or no mention of the Tortugas. I am wondering if this is because they are somewhat remote (70 miles west of Key West) or because people want to keep it quiet?

Similar plot used in naming Iceland...

Something to consider...

Jeff

Not really. The Dry Tortugas is aptly named. There is no source of fresh water on any of the islands. If you go, bring water. There is some wonderful diving in the area, I've been several times.

There's a live aboard that runs to the tortugas out of Ft. Myers. I'm planning on taking a trip there this summer.

I've been out to it once by seaplane. It's not very accessible at all and the freshwater thing is true. That's the reason you don't hear much about it. There is another liveaboard that goes to Dry T. from the Keys.

ReefGuy once bubbled...
There's a live aboard that runs to the tortugas out of Ft. Myers. I'm planning on taking a trip there this summer.

Ultimate Getaway.

WW

Playmate and several others .Some from Ft Myers and some from the Keys.The whole west coast of the Keys is dotted with wrecks springs and other features,but with reef the reef just 5-6 miles away on the other side most folks don't bother.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom