Dryon Fisheye 16mm vs. Fix Fisheye UWL-04 for Recsea S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassa Dive

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience of the Dryon 16mm fisheye? Can't find any info of its performace against the FIX fisheye UWL-04 for use with the RecSea S95. Everyone seems to have gone with the FIX.

The FIX UWL-04 need an adaptor but the Dryon doesn't - it screws directly on the housing.

I understand that the FIX has 130 FOV as opposed to the Dryon's 145 FOV. I've been told vignetting is not a problem with either lens.

So which is better? Any thoughts appreciated, I feel left in the dark with this one.

Has anyone got experience of the Dryon 16mm fisheye?

No and attempts to purchase Dryron equipment by me previously has not met with success but now available through my friend whose link is in my signature line, he has the ability to deliver these exciting products.

Can't find any info of its performace against the FIX fisheye UWL-04 for use with the RecSea S95. Everyone seems to have gone with the FIX.

I don't know that everybody has gone with the FIX95, many have chosen the Recsea95. The Fisheye UWL-04 will perform on the Recsea95 just as it does on the former FIX90 because the housings and cameras are essentially the same.

The FIX UWL-04 need an adaptor but the Dryon doesn't - it screws directly on the housing.

This is incorrect, the UWL-04 comes with three different mounts, there is a ST (Sea Tool bayonet mount and a 52mm threaded mount). The 52mm threaded version does screw directly into the FIX95 port and in the FIX90 and Recsea95 it screws directly into the 52mm port adapter. The Dryron would need the same adapters.

The Fisheye UWL-04 52mm version comes with a 67mm step ring, this is not needed in these installations.

I understand that the FIX has 130 FOV as opposed to the Dryon's 145 FOV. I've been told vignetting is not a problem with either lens.

Wrong, I measure closer to about 150 degrees DFOV with the UWL-04.

So which is better? Any thoughts appreciated, I feel left in the dark with this one.

If as you say, they are the "same" then they are the same, right? I believe they are the same, pay no attention to the spec-ology.

Have you read these threads?:

View topic - The Great Summer 2010 Wet Lens Shoot Out!|Underwater Photography Guide

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317325-fisheye-fix-s90.html

N

Last edited:
Hi Nemrod glad you're here, the thread is based on using either the FIX UWL04 or Dyron 16mm with the Recsea S95.

Sorry, I wasn't clear when I said everyone was "going with the FIX" I meant, everyone was going for the FIX UWL04 lens as opposed to the dyron lens.

I've read all the suggested threads and anything else I can find on this Dyron lens but not much luck on finding specifics.

According to my vendor, unlike the FIX UWL04, the Dyron actually doesn't need a port adaptor as it screws directly onto the Recsea S95 housing 44M to 44F.

I guess, if I'm only losing 5 degrees on the FOV with Dyron (based on 150 FOV for the FIX UWL04 and the reported 145 FOV for Dyron) then I will just go with the Dyron.

I'm thinking that Dyron should be 'better' because:
a) I won't be needing a port adaptor with it.
b) there is a shorter distance between the wetlens and camera housing (?) therefore less risk of vignetting (?)

I'm new at this so forgive me if I get the theory wrong!

I've read all the suggested threads and anything else I can find on this Dyron lens but not much luck on finding specifics.

According to my vendor, unlike the FIX UWL04, the Dyron actually doesn't need a port adaptor as it screws directly onto the Recsea S95 housing 44M to 44F.

No, that is not correct, the FIX (Fisheye/SeaTool) UWL-04 will need the same adapter the former FIX90 did, it is the 47mm female to 52mm female adapter. The thread on the UWL-04 is male 52mm. The thread on the port of the FIX90 and the Recsea95 is 47mm male.

The new FIX95 housing indeed does not need the adapter because it is built in, a female threaded 52mm port. But the downside there is you are locked into 52mm accessory lenses and the recsea95 and former FIX90 can utilize a wide system of adapter for multiple thread sizes and even bayonet mounts.

BTW, several people are using the Inon UFL165AD instead of the Fisheye UWL-04 on both the former FIX90 and the new Recsea95. Why, smaller, bayonet mount, excellent image especially for close focus wide angle.

(note, I may have a brain cloud, I do not remember at the moment if it is 47mm or 44m I am saying, in either case, it is the same thing I am talking about so do not confuse yourself)

N

No, that is not correct, the FIX (Fisheye/SeaTool) UWL-04 will need the same adapter the former FIX90 did, it is the 47mm female to 52mm female adapter. The thread on the UWL-04 is male 52mm. The thread on the port of the FIX90 and the Recsea95 is 47mm male.

N

We are talking across purposes here. I have already decided on buying the RecSea S95. Throughout, I refer to the RecSea S95 housing in my post and not the FIX S90/S95 housing. I understand that the latter has different concerns with use of adaptors and various wet lenses. I have trawled the forum thoroughly.

So back to my original question: FIX Fisheye UWL04 versus Dyron Fisheye 16mm. Which is better for the RecSea S95 (NOT the FIX S90/95).

My point is that the RecSea S95 has 44M thread on its port which can be directly mounted onto the the 44F thread on the Dryon 16mm Fisheye. Thus, eliminating the use of a port adaptor in this specific combination. In view of this, my assumption is that the Dryon would be the one to go for, despite the loss of 5 degree FOV.

We are talking across purposes here. I have already decided on buying the RecSea S95. Throughout, I refer to the RecSea S95 housing in my post and not the FIX S90/S95 housing. I understand that the latter has different concerns with use of adaptors and various wet lenses. I have trawled the forum thoroughly.

I mention the FIX90 because it is the SAME housing as the Recsea95 as far as ports, lenses and mounts are concerned.

So back to my original question: FIX Fisheye UWL04 versus Dyron Fisheye 16mm. Which is better for the RecSea S95 (NOT the FIX S90/95).

I do not know, I guess when you get it if you would make a report it would be helpful since as I have ALREADY stated, I think they are exactly the same product.

My point is that the RecSea S95 has 44M thread on its port which can be directly mounted onto the the 44F thread on the Dryon 16mm Fisheye. Thus, eliminating the use of a port adaptor in this specific combination. In view of this, my assumption is that the Dryon would be the one to go for, despite the loss of 5 degree FOV.

Again, I have already said I do not believe this is correct. I do not believe that the Dyron 16mm lens which is just a re-branded Fisheye UWL-04 is any different from the other and I do not believe that it has a 44mm female thread and I do not believe there is any difference in the DFOV of either the Dyron 16mm or the Fisheye UWL-04 lens on the Recsea95 (or FIX90 or FIX95) and I do not believe it possible to directly mount the Dyron lens on the Recsea95 without an adapter.

So, I think you should order it all up and then report on what you find out. If I am wrong, so be it. Thanks and good luck.

N

Hi,

If I may add something to the discussion, I just want to point something out for people thinking of getting the RecSea S95 housing.

I use a FIX UWL-04 lens on mine with the FIX M52 lens adapter.

Now originally I baulked at the price as it lists for about US$200 (but you get a discount if you purchase it with the RecSea S95 housing on uwdigitalcamera.com). That makes the FIX S95 more attractive (because its cheaper). However, I ended up getting the RecSea S95 (with the corresponding pricey FIX M52 adapter) due to the lack of availability of the FIX S95 a month ago.

One thing I discovered is that because the UWL-04 is a wet lens, you need to detach the lens underwater to get rid of bubbles. The FIX M52 lens adapter is perfect for this as the adapter is designed to slide in and out as needed. It locks the lens in securely (even after hundreds of lens removal), and sure beats screwing and unscrewing the lens (which I would have done with the FIX S95) and risk damaging the thread. A bayonet adapter would be even easier of course.

Here are some photos of the lens adapter.

RecSea%20S95%20UWL-04%20Lens%20attached.jpg

RecSea%20S95%20UWL04%20Lens.jpg

The neoprene cover on the RecSeaS95 is there to protect against scratching when I'm in the caves. I also put an iPhone-type screen protector on the rear main window (in the rear of the housing). Overkill perhaps but it works for me!

The inexpensive 52/44 aluminum adapter has vent holes that effectively bleed off air bubbles without needing to burp the lens.

But you are right on the money, the snap on "expensive" adapter kit does work very well and allows quick removal of the lens for portraits, macro and closeup with just the flat port. It is a "snap" if I do say so.

N

Got word from Dyron confirming that their 16mm fisheye lense indeed screws directly onto the RecSea S95 without need for adaptor. I quote them: it is made especially for the RecSea S95. Two other vendors confirm this as well.

I am going for the Dyron lens hopefully with some sort of Bayonet mounting if poss, as it does seem a lot more convenient than screwing in the water!

Will report as soon as I receive.

Cheers all. :)

More convenient perhaps, not as fun however...:eyebrow: // ww

Back
Top Bottom