Drysuit/equipment thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tapstter

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan on diving in Lake Michigan and Superior this summer and know drysuits along with equipment is costly and found equipment on craigslist. I know it is best to buy new gear but I just don't have the money and want my own gear so I can get in the water asap! I appreciate any advice from someone out there with knowledge on the equipment in the below link or any other suggestions you may have to offer.

scuba diving equipment

I don't know about the gear in the ad but don't be afraid of used stuff. Do try to buy a drysuit with "low hours" or be ready to pay $300+ to put a zipper in it.

First things first, like BRT said, don't be afraid of used gear. The only major piece of equipment I use that was bought new was a steel backplate, everything else was used. I'm talking tanks, regs, wing, bcds, wet/drysuits, fins. That said, know what you're getting yourself in to when you buy used. Regs should be serviced before use (for the most part) which adds some cost and drysuits can be hit or miss. Biggest thing to look for are obvious holes and zipper condition. It's not the easiest thing to replace a zipper yourself and costs $$ to replace it in a shop. Wrist/neck seals are also an issue but are easier to DIY replacement. Sizing may also become a factor but if you're patient you can probably find one in the right size. I'm not familiar with the lakes, but I would think it's possible to dive wet in the summer, so that might be a better route to take until funds become available for a proper drysuit.

As for the items in the ad, I don't profess to be all-knowledgeable but the drysuit looks to be older and well used, but not necessarily a problem. Dacor regs may have an issue getting serviced, could also be worthwhile asking the seller the last time they got them serviced (and if they have receipts for that). The tanks(s?) may or may not be in hydro/viz and if they aren't then that's extra $$/time and possibility of the tank failling hydro which means you lose $$. If it's an older aluminum tank, check to make sure it's not one of the bad alloys. The FFM seems nice, but it seems like you aren't all that comfortable with diving yet so I would hold off on using it/servicing it. Might be able to sell it to help offset the cost of the package or just hold on to it. Not sure on what to look for in those. BCD may or may not have pinhole leaks in it, so that's hit or miss.

The long and the short- buying used, especially off of CL is always a gamble. But if you know what to look for/hedge your bets you can still come out on top. Be prepared to make mistakes and some of them will hurt your wallet, but you can definitely find good deals on good equipment. That said, for a little more than the package you could probably put together a decent bare-minimum package with Dive Right in Scuba either online, or it's a bit of a drive for you down in Illinois, but they have great customer service. Goodluck and stay safe!

I plan on diving in Lake Michigan and Superior this summer and know drysuits along with equipment is costly and found equipment on craigslist. I know it is best to buy new gear but I just don't have the money and want my own gear so I can get in the water asap! I appreciate any advice from someone out there with knowledge on the equipment in the below link or any other suggestions you may have to offer.

scuba diving equipment
I'm very hesitant to buy scuba gear off CL as most of what I've seen has been very old and will likely cost more in the long run. You will be better off buying an entry level suit with a solid track history, something like a Bare Nex Gen. Or find used gear from a reputable source. I have good experiences with the guys at DRIS, try calling them and see what they recommend for your budget and ask them about their used suits - some really good deals.
Discount Scuba Gear - Dive Right in Scuba

That stuff looks very old, and Dacor regs may not be able to be serviced any more at all, because of parts unavailability. There is nothing there I would buy.

Used gear is fine, but if you possibly can, get someone who knows dive equipment to help you pick out the ads for things that are not going to cause you trouble. Used dry suits can be a steal, if you are able to replace your own seals, and even with the price of a replacement zipper, may come in well under retail for a new suit. But if the material is delaminating (as some of the DUIs and the Bare SB are known to do) no price is low enough to make it worth dealing with the suit.

Just about every piece of equipment other than the fins would most likely involve significant expense to get it up and running safely. Like the previous poster said above give us a shout. We could most likely get you into an entry level drysuit for less than this one would end up costing you in the long run.

Tap-

Looked at that ad... I as well am not adverse to C/L for gear..BUT...you'd BETTER know what your looking at.

Thats a Unisuit. Very h/d...and tough. it MAY be worth $200 bucks if in good condition with a non problem zipper. If it were me...I'd shy away.

BCD..Dacor..as well as regs. I won't touch them. Zero support with means no parts and shops won't touch them due to liability. I know our shop has a "no touch" Dacor policy.

Call Mike down at DRIS Scuba. Have him set ya up in a Trilanta BP/W rig and let him run some D/S suggestions by ya. You'll spend ALOT less in the long run, be happier, and safer with proper gear.

Just my .02

Bubs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom