Drysuit hose length with argon rig...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
Using the airgon bottle is necessary when the backgas contains helium since helium will freeze your arse if used for suit inflation.
Duh - my bad. Assumed you were talking about EAN for backgas.

There was some discussion on DIS-UK a while ago about making the wing LP inflator hose long enough to reach the drysuit valve, so that if you did lose the argon bottle for some reason, you could switch the hoses, and continue the dive using manual inflation of the wing. The corrugated hose would be the usual short length, you would just have a slightly longer loop of LP hose beheind your head. Don't know how practical that would be, but it could save your dive - guess you would have to weigh up the cons of the longer LP hose and whether or not any "loop" from the longer hose presented an entanglement hazard if you're doing overhead.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Duh - my bad. Assumed you were talking about EAN for backgas.

There was some discussion on DIS-UK a while ago about making the wing LP inflator hose long enough to reach the drysuit valve, so that if you did lose the argon bottle for some reason, you could switch the hoses, and continue the dive using manual inflation of the wing. The corrugated hose would be the usual short length, you would just have a slightly longer loop of LP hose beheind your head. Don't know how practical that would be, but it could save your dive - guess you would have to weigh up the cons of the longer LP hose and whether or not any "loop" from the longer hose presented an entanglement hazard if you're doing overhead.
I will be curious what others have to say on that issue. I had honestly never thought about it.

O-ring once bubbled...

I will be curious what others have to say on that issue. I had honestly never thought about it.

Too much entanglement risk I think. I generally use backgas for drysuit inflation, most folks here do, but we are in warmer water than you Yankees.

WW

Maybe I misrecall - they may have been advocating a longer corrugated hose that would reach the drysuit valve itself, so that the LP hose on it would reach by default. One of those OMS elephant trunk inflators or similar.

It is just not necessary to have a redundant inflation hose for your suit. The little 6cf suit bottles we use are good for several dives even if we only start with a 2K psi fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom