Drysuit justification Don't know what to do!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget, drysuit price is just a drysuit. Accessories are plentiful and $$$. You'll have to buy a lot more to get your drysuit package complete.

like what? Drysuit with P-valve ~$1500 if you do your homework. That is literally ready to dive out of the box aside from condom cath's or a she-p if you want to take a leak, ready to go if you don't.

Undergarments-if you have cold weather undergarments for other sports like skiing, you're good to go. If not, you can dive in fleece pajama pants and sweatshirts with 0 issues. I've done it, and seen people do it in quite cold water. It may not look "sexy" and may not be ideal, but if it's what you have, it's what you have. For $200 or so you can buy some pretty incredible undergarments from places like REI and LL Bean that won't break the bank if you don't have any already.

Get a drysuit. Seaskin Nova is cheap, made-to-measure. For undergarments, wear a merino base layer, and buy some 200 or 400 gram undies from rondel101bjrr on ebay.

You'll get an awesome custom suit and some perfectly capable undergarments for less than a grand.

Only issue is that you're ordering the drysuit from the UK so you'll have to wait a few weeks for it to be manufactured.

I got my 250gr "barney" suit from rondel for $65 new and it is awesome.. Can't speak highly enough about his gear.

So I made a decision. I ordered an OMI San Diego drysuit. This suit is made by DUI and is the same material as the FLX Extreme. Comes with 2 pockets, zip seals, YKK metal zipper, etc. I talked to my local dive shop and got my drysuit class scheduled. We will see how this journey starts out.
O yeah I also got the blue zip in dry gloves and new OMI Slipstream fins

I also got the blue zip in dry gloves

I think you'll love these. You need to plan a bit more when putting it on, and need some assistance getting out (I try to baby the zip seals as much as possible). I absolutely love my DUI glove system.

If cost is a concern, don't worry about the drysuit dedicated undergarments. Winter sport/ski fleece works very decently as undergarment. REI wool socks are great. If you don't have integrated boots, try to see if you can fit into your wet boots (I did this with one of my suit) and chuck tailor works great too. There are many things you can do safely to keep cost down, just may not be as convenient.

I think you made a good choice. I have decided that since I dont seem to be in any danger of my dive buddy giving me back my 6.5mm 2 piece wetsuit I will just use the drysuit if the water is cold enough to warrant the heavy suit.

Zip seals are a pain to put on, even with a buddy. When I had a DUI suit I used this method.
I've seen that video. I am not able to take it off like him. But for putting the zip gloves on, no problem. Just put in my right arm first, put my DC, compass, and motorcycle hand mirror if I'm teaching, then my left arm, zip up, and I'm good to go.

I appreciate all the advice. Right now I am thinking of going with the dui Yukon or something of that nature. I think I will pass on the semi dry. If my thinking is correct the semi dry will offer little protection at 100 feet or so.

The OMS San Diego looks good too! Replaceable wrist and neck seals, telescoping durable trilam and attached boots it's off the rack. It either fits or it don't. Having said that I have a made to measure Otter Britannic on the way. Followed the instructions on the measuring process. We'll see is my partner screwed it all up!:flowers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom