Drysuit not so dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski

Contributor
Reaction score
Ack. I just purchased a drysuit from divetank.com and finally got the opportunity to take it to the pool for a test run and some weighting tests. The pool was very warm, and I had never had on a drysuit, so I didn't feel any tremendous trickles like the suit was leaking. But, when I took it off, I was soaked. Not "sweating like a pig" soaked, but "jumped in the water/wring out the clothes" soaked.

I plan on doing a leak test tonight where I inflate the suit to see if there is a leak anywhere. Other than that, what else could be causing this?

I thought that the seals felt pretty good. I had air bubbles in the neck, and when I raised my arms, no bubbles from the wrists. I was not wearing a hood. Is that necessary to keep the neck seal close to the neck?

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong so that I can fix this. The suit is brand new, so it's probably not the suit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Drysuit in a warm pool = lots of sweat, uh, perspiration. Enough to wet down the undergarments. And not all of it was sweat, there would have been alot of condensation on the inside as well.

Either the neck seal seals or it doesn't. A hood has nothing to do with it.

A leak is usually locallized, and you can tell where the leak is by where you got wet. A flood results in soaked undergarments. Yours sound like prodigious sweat. If you get in the pool again, try it without undergarments, just wear a skin or some cycling clothes underneath, that'll help.

theskull

I have a Bare XCD2 tech, and one thing that happened on my third or fourth dive with the suit was that the noeprene flap that goes behind the inflator valve got between my neck seal, and my neck the result was a very slow trickle of water nothing noticable but I did however get soaked. Also I would double check your zipper before gearing up, mine is a front zip so it makes that easy.

Also you will get condensation, diving up here in Lake Huron, a overly warm body trapped in a air / water tight suit, then jumping in 50 degree water.

Mike

I think you're going to find theskull is dead on. I decided that I wanted to do my pool work during rescue training in my drysuit (it's really all I ever dive except down south). I wore just a skin underneath and I still came out of the pool drenched, but it was just me - no leaks. If I had been wearing more than a skin I probably would have filled the damn suit.

Unless you flooded your suit (and you would know it), the same thing happened to you. Otherwise the leak really would be localized. You'll notice as you start diving it in colder water that you might get a light sheen of condensation on the inside of the suit (or your undergarments) - nothing to be concerned about. Happy dry diving - nice and toasty!

Was the exhaust valve fully open. If it was it may have let water in. Were all valves nice and tightly on the suit. Were any clothing intruding on the seals. etc

Give it another try.

ScubaSarus:
Was the exhaust valve fully open. If it was it may have let water in. Were all valves nice and tightly on the suit. Were any clothing intruding on the seals. etc

Give it another try.

Typically I've experienced if the exhaust valve is leaking, you'll get wet on the shoulder and down the arm. Neck seal leaks will show around the shoulders and chest, wrist seals at the wrists and up the arms. I think C was wet all over. You're right, though - these are all things you have to check.

ScubaSarus:
Were all valves nice and tightly on the suit
Ding, ding, ding: I think we have a winner. I filled the suit and put some soap on the inflator valve and it bubbled... although you could easily hear the air escaping from it. I tightened it down real well, it it stopped bubbling and leaking air. Back to try it out on Saturday morning in the quarry. That'll let me know if it's leaking :)

As for sweat, I would be long dead if I had sweated that much. I've sweated before while doing stuff, and this was way worse. I do understand that I will be sweating and getting wet inside, but thanks for the warning. I could see someone freaking out over it.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

cmalinowski:
...But, when I took it off, I was soaked. Not "sweating like a pig" soaked, but "jumped in the water/wring out the clothes" soaked...

Wow, I stand corrected if it's just a loose inflater valve. Never seen anyone get that wet from a leaky valve, though. Hope that's it. Dry is the only way to go! Happy diving!

Scubageezer:
Wow, I stand corrected if it's just a loose inflater valve. Never seen anyone get that wet from a leaky valve, though. Hope that's it. Dry is the only way to go! Happy diving!
Beats me. Here's hoping that was it and that next time it will only be sweat in the suit.

typically most new dry suits have a tag on them that advises you to tighten the valves over the first 5 dives . i have always tightened the valves before the first dive and for the next 5 there after. its surprising the amount of tightening you can do after each dive.

Back
Top Bottom