Drysuit opinions sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, guys/gals, while this has been asked before in other forums, to some degree or another, I wanted to pose the question in "our" forum based on our local diving conditions.

I'm researching a new drysuit and am amassing quite a list of potential candidates. To narrow it down, I'm using a "weighting" system for my specific wants and needs and will assign a weight to each want/need that a given suit meets.

My initial list:

Fit
comfort/warmth
mobility
self sufficiency (don/doff easily)
buoyancy characteristics
durability
built-in pockets
able to accessorize - i.e. "convenience" zipper, dry gloves

The dilemma I keep coming back to is the inability to "try before I buy". Yes, I could rent a suit, dive it and see if I like it, but that's certainly not true for many of the suits I'm considering. I'll probably call around to a few LDS and see what line they rent, but I'm pretty sure the majority will be Whites and Bare. If you know of a store locally that rents, say a Pinnacle Evo2 or Black Ice or a Hollis BioDry FX100, please let me know :wink:

I'm very interested in people's opinions and experiences with various types of suits. We have a large contingency of local divers and oddly enough (aside from the tech crew who seemed to have purchased a Costco case lot of Fusions from Whites - yes, I'm looking at you Wet Rookie et posse :D ), everyone seems to have different tastes in suits.

So, a few questions, if you don't mind:

What drysuit do you currently dive and why?

Did you get to dive your suit before you bought it?

If you could have your choice of any suit, what would it be and why?

NOTE: Some of you may have strong opinions on what makes a good drysuit/bad drysuit, but please appreciate the simple fact that it's only your opinion and it therefore doesn't apply to me or anyone else, for that matter. So, let's try to keep this away from a "split fin" type of fluster cluck and see if we can all play nice.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions/comments/suggestions.

We have 2 suits I have Bare Trilam HD, my wife has custom DUI CLX450 , my Bare got some beating hers still new. Workmanship wise I like DUI more. I have issues with the bare which so far are under control. I would go with CLX in I was buying the suit again.

I never understood convenience zipper, IMHO the p-valve serves the purpose much better. Dry gloves can be installed on pretty much any suit with latex seals.

My strong believe is that the dr suit should not be used for warmth, for that you have the undergarment.

I dive a 3mm compresed neoprene oceaner suit with dry gloves and built in heavy duty boots. Was also a custom fit. Haven't tried any other drysuits. I have never been cold any time of the year in our waters. The only thing I can comment on is that many of the people I dive with using shell suits often complain about being cold. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

My initial list:

Fit
comfort/warmth
mobility
self sufficiency (don/doff easily)
buoyancy characteristics
durability
built-in pockets
able to accessorize - i.e. "convenience" zipper, dry gloves

So, a few questions, if you don't mind:

What drysuit do you currently dive and why?

Did you get to dive your suit before you bought it?

If you could have your choice of any suit, what would it be and why?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions/comments/suggestions.

I'm gonna toss a new one in the ring ... Santi eSpace

It's a trilaminate suit, heavier than a DUI TLS350 ... more like the old Andy's or Diving Concepts weight.

I ordered mine in late November and received it in early January ... about six weeks for a custom-cut suit made in and shipped from Poland.

After diving it for four months I have to say it's an awesome suit ... easily becoming my all-time favorite, which is saying something significant because I absolutely loved my old TLS350.

What do I like about it?

Fit ... this is my fifth custom drysuit in eight years ... and only the second one that fit me the way I hoped it would ... the other being my TLS350. Santi did an amazing job of cutting this suit for my body.

Mobility ... Santi cuts the arms with a slight upward angle that gives you mobility to reach your valves without having a bunch of extra material.

Comfort ... it feels like a favorite pair of jeans ... no constrictions anywhere.

Built-in pockets ... this suit comes with roomy cargo pockets with sewn-in D-rings where you can clip things off ... or use it to anchor a loop of bungee (as I do). The right pocket also comes with a separate, inner pocket for your wet notes which I have found really convenient.

Boots ... there are several options for boots. I ordered a neoprene bootie that is somewhat like a turbo-sole but with more support and less need for fin keepers. In fact, I like them so much I'm looking into seeing if I can get a pair put on my TLS350.

Convenience ... this suit is the anti-Fusion when it comes to getting into and out of it. No suit I've ever owned was easier.

I frankly haven't had time to test durability yet ... only got about 80 dives on the suit so far ... but no problems to speak of.

Given my four-month experience with the suit, I'd give it an unconditional recommendation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have the whites fusion with the tech skin and with rock boots and I like it a lot. Comfortable, flexible, durable, self entry, with a price tag about 1K. And yes you can rent the fusion out of Ocean Quest which you probably already know by now. I have about 100 dives on this suit and have not complaints. One thing I did on this suit was to have the dump valve put on the wrist and I like it there.

My old/first suit is the pinnacle evolution tri-lam. I changed from this suit because of not enough flexibility to be able to reach the valves on my twins. Other than that it served me very well with about 400 dives. I would have no problems buying another if the fit was right.

There are a lot of good suits out there and I think the main thing with buying a suit now a days is the price tag and whether or not you want a shell or neoprene suit plus options, then looks. You have to look good when diving, so go with the Fusion :wink:

I have the whites fusion with the tech skin and with rock boots and I like it a lot. Comfortable, flexible, durable, self entry, with a price tag about 1K. I have about 100 dives on this suit and have not complaints. You have to look good when diving, so go with the Fusion :wink:

Thanks for saving me the typing!!...

DIDDO!

I have the Whites Fusion Sport also and I have four dives on it, so I'll keep my mouth shut :wink:

(Actually I can say that it is a big improvement over my previous suit, which is why I am selling the previous suit for 1/4 of what the Whites suit cost. I think the Fusion should be on your list to try at least)

I like my Seemann Extender BMS dry suit I've purchased in Europe. Made in Germany, trilaminat, heavy duty cordura, frontal self-entry, telescopic waist, latex seals, warm-neck, soft crushed neoprene booties. It costs less than 1000 CAD in Europe, including taxes. I use my almost five years every week and it still like new... Very robust suit.

I just got my new Brooks suit last fall. It is my second Brooks suit. Last one is still in great shape after 6 plus years with lots of diving in it. The only problem with it was that it seems to have shrunk in the last few years. I spent the extra and bought the custom option which was well worth the money. They don't do self don and after doing my research I decided against the shoulder zipper as most of the folks I dive with and talked to with the front zipper have had problems with it. I was happy to stay with Brooks as a result of the diving I got out of the suit I replaced. Good luck in your research.

I have the whites fusion with the tech skin and with rock boots and I like it a lot. Comfortable, flexible, durable, self entry, with a price tag about 1K. And yes you can rent the fusion out of Ocean Quest which you probably already know by now. I have about 100 dives on this suit and have not complaints. One thing I did on this suit was to have the dump valve put on the wrist and I like it there.

My old/first suit is the pinnacle evolution tri-lam. I changed from this suit because of not enough flexibility to be able to reach the valves on my twins. Other than that it served me very well with about 400 dives. I would have no problems buying another if the fit was right.

There are a lot of good suits out there and I think the main thing with buying a suit now a days is the price tag and whether or not you want a shell or neoprene suit plus options, then looks. You have to look good when diving, so go with the Fusion :wink:

WOW. That is like my story with less dives. I have a pinnacle evo tri-lam and do not like it. No flexability. I dove a whites fusion and am completely shocked at the difference. Night and day. I dove a few diff DUIs and still love the whites. On that note, where are you getting a whites fusion tech for 1k???

Back
Top Bottom