Drysuit Roundtable Q&A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a used Fusion Tech sight-unseen based on the Whites / AquaLung sizing charts (2/3XL), and having demo'ed the same size in a pool last summer. The suit seems fine otherwise (especially for the price), but it seems ridiculously tight at the wrists/forearms and calves. To be certain, I took off the skin (all the better to get to know my new equipment) and the issue is definitely with the dry core being too snug at the wrists and calves. It's NOT a problem getting my hands through the wrist seals - it's the area where the wrist seals attach to the dry core that is very tight. I've been told I have big calves, but my wrists and forearms aren't that huge. The core is so tight at these points that I can't imagine wearing more than a thin base layer on my arms or lower legs. (Ironically, I had been more concerned about getting my ample belly into the suit, but that isn't a problem with the 2/3XL.)

My questions:

(1) Where is the dry core labeled with the actual size? The skin is definitely 2/3XL (found the markings when I removed the inflator valve), but I haven't found a size marking on the dry core itself. Maybe the core is only a Large?

(2) Could the process of installing wrist seals have used up most of the "slack" in the wrist / forearm area of the dry core? The 4-5 inches of overlap where the seals attach seem very stiff (glue?)

(3) Could replacing the latex wrist seals with a ring-type system be combined with enlarging the forearm area? (FWIW, the arms and legs of the 2/3XL are quite a bit longer than I need, so there is "extra" material.)

(4) Could the lower legs (calves) be "expanded" by cutting and inserting a triangle of extra core material? All appropriately taped and sealed, of course. Or is this too dramatic (or too expensive) a step?

Any thoughts or advice? (other than "you shouldn't buy a dry suit you haven't tried on in person" - THAT ship has sailed :wink:

Have you looked at when it was made? It might be an older Fusion...newer ones(5 years) have wider calves and forearm areas. You still might be bigger in those areas, but they don't have nearly as many issues as first runs in this areas.

1- Should be by the zipper tab where the suspenders go thru
2- Shouldn't be, but it could be? Hard to say without seeing anything. There is 4-5"s of overlap? Can you send a picture? The seals typically overlap about 1" when attached to the suit. Maybe this was repaired?
3- Yes - hopefully you got a steal on the suit, we do those customizations, and they can get expensive.
4- Yes, again, CHA CHING. Might be better to see how old the suit is, sell it, and try a newer one on before purchase.

We have some options for you....feel free to call me if you want at the shop and we can talk.

Whats your take on the Hollis Biodry fx100? Have their been any complaints by customers? I am thinking about buying one from a friend, and had a few questions.
1. If I wanted to add dry gloves which system can I get, and is it something I can do myself?
2. If I add the gloves do I leave the wrist seals on?
3. And also the wrist and neck seals can I add the replaceable style, if so which manufacturer?
4. Finally what should I consider before making these purchases?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I've used my Seasoft drysuit 6 times now. Have gotten wet 4 of the 6 times. I can't tell if the leak is from the neck seal or left wrist seal. The two dryest dives I've had were the result of adding Apollo Bio-Seal for the neck and wrist. Problem with the Bio-Seal is that the neck was SO tight that I really wanted to abort the dives.

Are there any pointers for me to try on our next dive weekend (January 16-18) so I can avoid so much leakage?

Thanks!

If the BioSeal fixes the problem, why not work with it? It's cut the incidence of neck leaks from the neoprene seal of my suit to almost zero.

Whats your take on the Hollis Biodry fx100? Have their been any complaints by customers? I am thinking about buying one from a friend, and had a few questions.
1. If I wanted to add dry gloves which system can I get, and is it something I can do myself?
2. If I add the gloves do I leave the wrist seals on?
3. And also the wrist and neck seals can I add the replaceable style, if so which manufacturer?
4. Finally what should I consider before making these purchases?

Very nice suit! I have dove one quite a few times, and we sell alot of them with zero issues.
1`- Does it already have the replaceable wrist system? That would be your only limiting factor. If not, you can add any of them.
2- Yes
3- Yes, Si tech all day :wink: You can DIY or send it to us and we can install them. They look great on that suit when done right.
Drysuit Repairs | Regulator Repairs | BCD Repairs - Dive Right in Scuba

4- Well, first I would install the systems....you need to pick Oval or Round. At that point, I would do round as you have more dryglove choices. Then, you pick pullover, quick glove, or glovelock. Pullovers are the cheapest, and most reliable. The quick glove is great for smaller hands, but can be a little harder to get off unless lubed properly. The Glovelock is great for bigger hands, it's the one I use, and I think the best one for a quick on/off with a half turn.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2016 at 09:08 AM ----------

I've used my Seasoft drysuit 6 times now. Have gotten wet 4 of the 6 times. I can't tell if the leak is from the neck seal or left wrist seal. The two dryest dives I've had were the result of adding Apollo Bio-Seal for the neck and wrist. Problem with the Bio-Seal is that the neck was SO tight that I really wanted to abort the dives.

Are there any pointers for me to try on our next dive weekend (January 16-18) so I can avoid so much leakage?

Thanks!

Get rid of the Neoprene neck or stop moving...

There are a couple things that could be going on.

1- The neo neck is too loose and doesn't seal properly.
2- It fits OK, but you move your head alot, and that breaks the seal. Go to a mirror, and turn your head all the way to the left, then right. See the gaps in your neck? Some people have bigger ones that others. On a Neo neck seal, it won't fill that gap like a silicone or latex will.
3- you are running too much air in your suit, and it's burping. When it burps air out, a little water comes in.

Best choice, swap from Neo to latex...anything else will just cost more time in trying to diagnose. Neoprene necks just don't work for everyone....

Then, you pick pullover, quick glove, or glovelock. Pullovers are the cheapest, and most reliable

I have si-tech quick cuffs glued onto a USIA suit and was thinking of dry gloves. My question is if the pullovers are the cheapest and most reliable, why do the other systems even exist? What is the advantage that makes people pay 10 to 20 times as much for them?

Thanks,

Derek

Awesome information, thank you so much for taking the time to answer. Looks like I'll be gettng the biodry tonight.

I have si-tech quick cuffs glued onto a USIA suit and was thinking of dry gloves. My question is if the pullovers are the cheapest and most reliable, why do the other systems even exist? What is the advantage that makes people pay 10 to 20 times as much for them?

Thanks,

Derek

Probably the same reason why people buy a Ferrari instead of a Smart Car. A smart car is cheaper and much simpler than the Ferrari, but they both get you from point A to point B.

Having said that, I use the pull over gloves on my suit. I doubt that was the original intent when they made the ring system. But someone figured out that the rings made a good sealing surface for rubber gloves. The manufacturer would rather sell you the locking system and make more money if I had to guess.

Some people might like the idea of a positive lock keeping the glove attached to the suit.. Who knows.

I use pullovers too and to be honest they can be a pain to put on (I usually get one of my sons to help). The more complex ring systems are much easier to self don but they can and do leak from time time.

Like others said, simple and reliable isn't always the best.

Pullover- Cheap, no o-rings to clean, only leak is a hole in the glove....they can be a pain to get on and alot of times require help until you figure out a technique for donning. If you aren't careful with air bubble management, they can pop off.

Other systems - Easier one person on/off. Can't pop off your hand unless you didn't put it together right. More user failures that cause leaks if an o-ring is dirty, glove liner gets stuck when closing, glove has a hole.

I have dove them all. I love the Glovelock which is unfortunately the most expensive. Fits my bigger hands, always dry, easy lock on and off by myself. I have pullovers as a back up if something happens and I can just pull the glove over the ring and still dive. Any leaks I did have weren't from the systems, but me not getting it locked right or something getting stuck and preventing a seal from being formed. Biggest thing I always hate is being somewhere and asking for help to put something on. I'm not proud or anything, I just feel I should do it myself as everyone has stuff they are doing. I prefer to do it myself

Like anything, personal preference. I know people that love the pullovers and are huge advocates of them. Nothing wrong with any of the systems, they are just different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom