Drysuit shoulder dumps: Apeks vs Si-Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having owned both in different suits and materials, i do think Si tech is dryer
With the old apeks, with the gray ring, if i use it all open, i will end the dive with a wet patch on my left arm, the newer with the blue ring are a little better, but i do prefer SiTech, bothfor dryness as dumping

I'll just hop on this thread, as I'm about to pull the trigger on my drysuit order: I gathered that Sitech dump valves are actually preferable, so I guess I'll end up going with that (also Apeks would be 50€ more). However, what about the inflation valve? I'm not sure I can mix and match, but maybe it's possible. What I like about Sitech in theory is that it rotates 360°, so should give more freedom with regards to the position of the inflator hose. Those who have Sitech inflation valves, how do you like them? Even better if you can compare to Apeks. The rental suit I've used so far had an Apeks inflation valve so that's all I know.

I'll just hop on this thread, as I'm about to pull the trigger on my drysuit order: I gathered that Sitech dump valves are actually preferable, so I guess I'll end up going with that (also Apeks would be 50€ more). However, what about the inflation valve? I'm not sure I can mix and match, but maybe it's possible. What I like about Sitech in theory is that it rotates 360°, so should give more freedom with regards to the position of the inflator hose. Those who have Sitech inflation valves, how do you like them? Even better if you can compare to Apeks. The rental suit I've used so far had an Apeks inflation valve so that's all I know.
Apex also rotates. There’s also a SiTech where you slide the switch instead of pressing it to inflate. That’s something to get used to, maybe preferable if you have a chest strap that could activate a regular inflation valve.

The Apeks inflation valve on my rental suit certainly doesn't rotate all the way at the top.
Do you know which Sitech valve slides vs a simple button (which I guess I'd prefer)?
Edit: never mind, I found it online. I didn't know there were so many different valves. No idea which one Artic is using...

Wot i lurnd with my drysuit...

My old membrane drysuit had Si-Tech valves and I've a Santi Si-Tech heater inflator. These worked well for many years. My new drysuit was delivered with Apeks dump and inflator. Arrrrggghhh, another load of money to replace the inflator with an Apeks version. Or so I thought.

It turns out that if your suit has Apeks inflator & dump, then a Si-Tech dump and inflator will fit! Sure, the backing pad hole's slightly larger for Apeks (37mm?) vs Si-Tech (33mm), but there's a groove in the backing pad which is exactly the same diameter and size for both types, so the Si-Tech will locate centrally.

I've now got a trusty Si-Tech dump valve which... dumps. It's so nice to hear that familiar bubbling sound as it dumps really easily. The Santi Si-Tech inflator with the E/O heating cord also fits in the same way.

Obvs. it won't work the other way: an Apeks won't fit into a Si-Tech as the backing pad hole's too small.

Anyway, I'm happy and didn't need to spend on more valves/dumps.

BTW the Apeks dump is around $120 and the Si-Tech (which works better IMHO) is only $60. Something to do with Apeks being overpriced nowadays.

Yes, Apeks would cost more on the suit I'm getting. That's not going to be decisive factor for me, but all things equal I don't see why I'd spend more.

I have the Apeks low profile valve on a new fitted to me Seaskin drysuit. When I tried it out with the fitted to me Seaskin 250 thinsulate undergarment, it was really hard to force an exhaust. I tried it again with a thinner DUI thinsulate undergarment and duct tape on the arm under the exhaust. Worked perfectly and the same as the Sitech on my other drysuit, which has a looser fit. The next step would be to try the thicker undergarment with duct tape on the arm. I think the combination of a more form fitting shell and a loftier undergarment can lead to obstruction of the Apeks valve. I don’t know if this would be the same for a Sitech valve.
Have you had a chance to play around with this? When I dove with my seaskin 250 undergarment, it felt like the apeks low profile dumped all the air in a few seconds.

Now that I have a tecline 490 undergarment, it takes forever to dump air. I put my left arm out to get air in, then squeeze my bicep and I only get a few bubbles trickling out. I have to do this over and over to get anywhere and it's caused a few runaway ascents. The tecline undersuit does have an opening near the dump valve to aid with venting air but maybe its not quite right? Or as you said the mtm shell suit is snug enough that the valve gets blocked?

@Germie maybe you have some tips since I know you're one of the only people with a tecline 490.

Have you had a chance to play around with this? When I dove with my seaskin 250 undergarment, it felt like the apeks low profile dumped all the air in a few seconds.

Now that I have a tecline 490 undergarment, it takes forever to dump air. I put my left arm out to get air in, then squeeze my bicep and I only get a few bubbles trickling out. I have to do this over and over to get anywhere and it's caused a few runaway ascents. The tecline undersuit does have an opening near the dump valve to aid with venting air but maybe its not quite right? Or as you said the mtm shell suit is snug enough that the valve gets blocked?

@Germie maybe you have some tips since I know you're one of the only people with a tecline 490.
I don't have that problem that you mention. I have 2 tecline 490 (really old and a new one), one bz400 from Santi, the thickest version from MolaMola and all the dump the same.
Only with the MolaMola I need 1kg of weight more.
I have used them with drysuits from Avatar, Santi, Otter and Procean over the years. It is really important where the dumpvalve is. My first suit, 3000 dives ago was a Mares and it was very hard to get air out. But it was the dumpvalve. Some older (more than 3 years) drysuits from Scubapro have the same problem.
I always look where the dumpvalve is when I have the suit on. So maybe that is the problem?

Maybe you can put it on at home and look of it in the mirror? Staying and in the position as you are diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom