drysuit sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I normally usually only dive with a 7mm farmer john in cold waters and to date even last week in very cold Gilboa was fine with it, but it is the surface intervals I am not enjoying to much with a wetsuit that is wet on my body.......SOOOOOOOOO now I am finally giing in to buying a drysuit.
question is I know that a drysuit doesn't have to fit as snug as a wetsuit but how well should it fit??
is a suit that can fit someone 5 inches shorter and taller then you still ok??:bonk:

Just my opinion (you know what they say about opinions) and some people disagree with me. But alot of my dive buddies, and I am about to join them, buy thier drysuits at a size smaller than the chart recommends. In fact DUI offers a "Cave Cut" suit and the rep told me it is essentually reduced by one size.

I am currently diving a drysuit that is way to big for me, I lost 50 pounds over the summer, and I don't recommend diving a bigger suit than is necessary.

I don't recommend buying a suit until you can try it on and check the mobility you have. Then I would buy the smallest one you can still have full mobility in. DUI at least charges a 15% restocking fee if you order it and have to send it back. That is alot when the suits cost that much.

I am sure there are other opinions out there and I look forward to reading them.

Good luck on your shopping.

Chad

Try talking to your former instructors, DMs and local LDS. Chances are someone is upgrading or has a suit that doesn't fit quite right...and would be happy to let you try it for a few days and make a deal. You want to do those few dives with an experienced drysuit diver, better yet with the LDS or instructor who is upgrading or flipping his "old" suit for the latest to come out at DEMA.. Be forwarned, you will likely hate the first few dives - getting garment layers right, getting weighting right, getting gas consumption back, getting bouyancy control - but being DRY in cold water is great, you'll never go back!

Then again, some people don't like the idea of used. If you have the money to spend get the latest and greatest . Not me, I'm half Scottish: money squeeks coming out of my pockets, but that's just me....

tinman once bubbled...
Try talking to your former instructors, DMs and local LDS. If you have the money to spend get the latest and greatest . Not me, I'm half Scottish: money squeeks coming out of my pockets, but that's just me....

Thanks for the advice tinman.....is that why you call yourself tinman...cuz you squeek? hehehehe:D

...where is that damn oil can....!

Actually, my handle pre-dates diving - In younger, more foolish days, I was a serious athlete, competed in '92 World Triathlon championships & my buddies tagged me with the label (a 1/2 Ironman length Triathlon is called a "Tinman"). Of course, some of my former students might consider me a heartless SOB, but I like to consider myself stumbling cheerfully through life - as a matter of fact getting into the water this time of year I feel and walk just like Dorothy's travelling companion....

How much room is too much room in the waist area of a drysuit? I am in a position to buy an Oceanic Aueduro that my LDS has in stock, but I'm not sure about the sizing on it. I currently dive an OSS, but its not mine its the club's. The OSS has a waist strap that cinches down any excess. The oceanic does not. I am 6'1", 200. The suit fits well height wise, and the arms are decent length, but the waist seems a bit big. I am going to hit the pool with it later this week, but I wanted to know if anyone ever had problems with too much airspace in their suit.

I figure the crotch and wiast straps would probably suck up any excess.

I think the type of dry suit your considering and the type of diving you do will dictate the sizing of your suit. I do a lot of winter diving and have a shell suit. This means I need a lot of thermal protection under the suit so a large fit is important. I'm not a dry suit expert, but I believe a neoprene suit could be fit tighter and still give you the same thermal protection. The next dry suit I buy will be neoprene. A shell suit without the proper undergarments is actually colder than a good farmer john while in the water. My wife has a shell suit which fits a little too tight too allow her to wear all of the undergarment she needs, so she's now diving in her wet suit and is warmer during the dive. If you give all of the information to your LDS they should be able to lead you in the right direction! Good luck!

PS- We've found a lot of people prefer wet suit diving, while actually in the water, as you mentioned it's the surface interval between dives that's no fun and getting back into a freezing wet suit is a drag. If your going dry then try out the dry gloves as well (Tinman is a dry glove fan as well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom