Drysuit skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fortunately the king 2 is almost a perfect fit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

a list of skills necessary to learn to make swimming a DS a positive experience?

Stuff you would learn in a good drysuit class

1. How to weight yourself correctly
  2. Hpw to trim yourself correctly
  3. When and how much air to add to the suit
  4. How to adjust the exhaust valve
  5. How to vent the suit before descent
  6. How to tell when the suit needs venting
  7. How to vent the suit on ascent
  8. How to determine why you can't vent the suit when you're trying, and nothing is happening,
  9. How to stop your feet-first ascent when your boots pop off your feet and you're rocketing to the surface upside down with no fins.
  10. How to not do #9 again.
  11. How to vent the suit in a hurry when the exhaust valve is stuck/clogged and you're rocketing to the surface like a giant lift bag.
  12. How to take the suit on and off correcty, so you don't need premature seal or zipper replacement.
  13. How to store the suit so you don't need premature seal or zipper replacement.
  14. How to maintain the zipper and seals.
Probably a bunch more stuff that I'm not thinking of right now.

The class should be free with the suit.

flots.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
Again, I am not buying locally. And I don't have that option.

Wow I'm barely able to get $1k out of my wife for this.

Then I would think you'd want to assure that your $1K is very wisely spent. Unless you've got a drysuit pro in your neighborhood who can advise you very closely on how to buy sight-unseen online, you risk spending a grand on a suit you hate, or maybe can barely even use. Not good use of the funds, nor a good diving experience.

Heck, you can have crummy diving experiences for WAY less than that! :D

For the many years of service you should expect from a drysuit, and the trying conditions in which you will expect it to protect you, it's worth extra expense and inconvenience up front to get it right.

Fortunately the king 2 is almost a perfect fit.

Then you will spend $1k to have a drysuit that almost fits. Dimensions on a website cannot and will never be able to define or indicate "perfect fit". The required advice is in this thread for anybody that chooses to accept it.

Then you will spend $1k to have a drysuit that almost fits. Dimensions on a website cannot and will never be able to define or indicate "perfect fit". The required advice is in this thread for anybody that chooses to accept it.

Some of us are forced to make do with what we have. I can't afford to have a custom made suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I would think you'd want to assure that your $1K is very wisely spent. Unless you've got a drysuit pro in your neighborhood who can advise you very closely on how to buy sight-unseen online, you risk spending a grand on a suit you hate, or maybe can barely even use. Not good use of the funds, nor a good diving experience.

Heck, you can have crummy diving experiences for WAY less than that! :D

For the many years of service you should expect from a drysuit, and the trying conditions in which you will expect it to protect you, it's worth extra expense and inconvenience up front to get it right.

Hmm it seems this is what I was trying to do. And I have done. You have no idea how many people I've talked to researching this. Then the arrogant asses come in and make presumptive statements like above. I guess we should tell the guy with the EXPENSIVE custom cut santi suit that he has return to get the legs fixed he screwed up. Heck I guess I can spend over $2k for the same experience as for $1k. But the I couldn't look down my nose at others.

I didn't come here to be criticized for conditions I don't have control of. I'm dealing with MY life and what I can do within those parameters. Jeez

nothing ugly here except some responses

the point being made is that even with a stock suit, you can not be sure until you try it, and getting informed help while doing so would be good if at all possible

nothing ugly here except some responses

the point being made is that even with a stock suit, you can not be sure until you try it, and getting informed help while doing so would be good if at all possible

The word is called tact. On at least two posts on this very thread I stated why I have to do what I'm doing. Instead some are pointing the obvious. And to me so of the statements, whole done so in lofty terms, are still without tact and therefore ugly. This thread turned from someone asking about skills to one pointing out my folly. Go figure.

Hmm it seems this is what I was trying to do. And I have done. You have no idea how many people I've talked to researching this. Then the arrogant asses come in and make presumptive statements like above. I guess we should tell the guy with the EXPENSIVE custom cut santi suit that he has return to get the legs fixed he screwed up. Heck I guess I can spend over $2k for the same experience as for $1k. But the I couldn't look down my nose at others.

I didn't come here to be criticized for conditions I don't have control of. I'm dealing with MY life and what I can do within those parameters. Jeez

You are taking things way too personally here TNRonin. People are giving you advice. You do not like it. That is fine. The posters in this thread (including myself) are trying to save you a waste of $1,000. You seem to think that you are special because the closest LDS is 75 miles away. You are not. Mine is a little closer but still far from convenient. When I bought my suit, I researched online and tried suits on (I went as far as to pay to have a suit shipped to me because the dimensions on a website said it should fit). It did not and I had to pay to return it. I tried on a stock suit that someone "my size and build" wore comfortably. Did not fit because apparently my legs were slightly bigger. Not something that was picked up by the stock size sheet. I saved a bit longer and bought a suit that fit me and that I can comfortably dive. Repairs are not convenient due to distance but sometimes diving can be an inconvenience.

Call me names if you want but all I and others are trying to do is tell you what you should know before clicking purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom