Drysuit travel tips anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, no one handles any of my gear but me.

I suppose that the funk will be largely contained within the Drysuit so I'd have that going for me. When you were training in the summer in FL (I'll be winter in MX so I know it's different), what did you wear for your undergarments? Other than very warm water pool dives, I have no experience diving dry in relatively warm water, and the Cenotes will be 77.

You can smell it come out of the exhaust valve when you get in the water lol.

The springs are 69-72 year round more or less in FL. I tended to wear 4th element arctics, or avatars 901 undergarments. I think you said you were doing fundies in a different thread you're going to spend a lot of time in the water. We spent 10 hours underwater logged on the computer the week of fundies. Plus all the time in the water briefing and debriefing between the dives so even though the water is relatively warm you'll still be getting chilled by the end of the week.

You can smell it come out of the exhaust valve when you get in the water lol.

The springs are 72 year round more or less in FL. I tended to wear 4th element arctics, or avatars 901 undergarments. I think you said you were doing fundies in a different thread you're going to spend a lot of time in the water. We spent 10 hours underwater logged on the computer the week of fundies. Plus all the time in the water briefing and debriefing between the dives so even though the water is relatively warm you'll still be getting chilled by the end of the week.
Yep, this will be for fundies. Ok I'll bring the Arctics then! And I'm just reading between the lines that I should also figure out how to use my p-valve?

Yep, this will be for fundies. Ok I'll bring the Arctics then! And I'm just reading between the lines that I should also figure out how to use my p-valve?

I consider a p-valve mandatory for any GUE training. I've done fundies twice once as a stand-in diver and for my tech upgrade and once as my fundies class. We spent basically the entire day in the water. If you don't have a p-valve you're going to not drink as much water as you should and will probably get cramps.

Yeah, I have the p-valve, just never used it so I've got a little more than a month to figure that out.

I hadn't really thought about the wear and tear of turning it inside out. Do you have an example of the hanger you have?
I have one of these hangers. Heavy duty and has a place to hang the reg as well. Don't know the brand (from LDS) just has "Taiwan" printed on the bottom, but doesn't appear to be the XS scuba. The hanger hook portion turns for positioning.

Drysuit-Hanger.png

Also saw this while crawling around on Amazon that looked like it might be handy. And for $15 for a piece of scuba gear, buy 4.

Yeah, I have the p-valve, just never used it so I've got a little more than a month to figure that out.

Shell suits are better for travel because they are lighter and dry quickly. I can recall incidents where holes were poked through them by TSA agents, so bring some aquaseal and check it out when you arrive.

I bring 2 swimsuits that take the brunt of the funk. Hand wash the latest one used in the sink nightly. Extends the time a single set of undergarments is bearable.

And that brings up the undergarment issue... They will be pretty gross from 6 days of training dives. Do most people pack multiple sets? Attempt to hand wash in a sink in my room?
For a 1-week trip to Mexico, I take two pairs of undergarments, but I'm probably the minority. I use a fleece top (like a fleece sweatshirt) and a fleece bottom (REI). I alternate days with each, allowing the other to dry on a rack in my room. Same with socks, by the way--two pair. That's the great thing about warm-water drysuit diving: undergarment needs are minimal, and you can afford to own multiple pairs. Yes, you will sweat, and by the end of the week you will wish you had yet a third pair, but two pairs are good for a week or 10 days, I'd say. For a 2-week trip, I'd probably wash something in my room or take it to a laundry (easy to find in Mexico--ask your guide/shop).

I have only taken one trip to dive colder waters, and no, I do not own a second set of 4th Element Arctics, so I would just have to use a clothes dryer if I got them wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom