Drysuit trim vs air shift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Once again,I'm looking to SB for help. I remember that someone said that if you're truly horizontal it would feel like you're head down. I don't have a problem with that. But if I dive in a drysuit, going truly horizontal shifts bubble to my feet. I put just enough gas to avoid squeeze, not for buoyancy, so that shouldn't be an issue. Only video I have is this short segment. Please ignore my crappy kicking,still recovering from injury. Any tips, or am I plain paranoid?

Your arm position can be used to offset the shift in center of gravity as you consume the gas in your cylinder. Think of "stick 'em way up!" vs. "stick 'em slightly up". Hopefully that is clear.

The requirements for distributing weight to be trim will be different between a wetsuit and dry suit of course.

Unable to view the video.
Sorry, put it on private, should be fixed now.
Your arm position can be used to offset the shift in center of gravity as you consume the gas in your cylinder. Think of "stick 'em way up!" vs. "stick 'em slightly up". Hopefully that is clear.

The requirements for distributing weight to be trim will be different between a wetsuit and dry suit of course.
I understand shifting of COG. What I am talking about is that if go horizontal, gas bubble will leak to my feet, making me head heavy. I'll try to post better video of my trim.

[QUOTE="admikar, post: 8450441, member: 470149"
I understand shifting of COG. What I am talking about is that if go horizontal, gas bubble will leak to my feet, making me head heavy. I'll try to post better video of my trim.[/QUOTE]

What fins do you use? I couldn't tell in the video. Since you dive a twinset, I tend to see people diving with heavier fins, like the Hollis F1's. Also, when I dove a twinset (I've switched to sidemount), I used the Halycon weight pocket with more weight in the bottom pocket (6 lbs) than the top (4 lbs). If that wouldn't work, I would have switched to a weight belt, but I found those annoying with my canister light.

@wetb4igetinthewater ,I understand all of that. I'll try to rephrase: I know this is a lousy video, but what do you think about my trim? Should I go more head down or is this OK?
I think I should go more head down, but if I do that, gas bubble tends to move to my feet, throwing me off balance.

@wetb4igetinthewater ,I understand all of that. I'll try to rephrase: I know this is a lousy video, but what do you think about my trim? Should I go more head down or is this OK?
I think I should go more head down, but if I do that, gas bubble tends to move to my feet, throwing me off balance.

You are about 45 degrees. I think it needs work and in that process resolve the issue caused by the increased buoyancy in your feet.

Find someone who knows what they are doing and get them to help in person. Being on a twinset the most important question is can you do a proper shutdown? Often if trim is bad this is very hard.

Doubles are going to try to put you head down regardless of the air distribution in your dry suit. People often end up compensating for that by diving in a head-up position, like you are. You might need to shift some weight away from your head or try heavier fins, like the Hollis F1s.

it's better to post a video of you trying to be stationary while in trim and not changing depth.

Back
Top Bottom