drysuit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on water temps.. I was in low 50's in my new bare sb system suit with only the underwear first layer on.. I could feel the cold but i wast cold.. Though i like to run a little cool anyways.. Your GOING to need some sort of layer just to protect your skin from the rubber of the suit.. Otherwise its going to chew you up... One thing you can also look at is a lavapro layer wetsuit.. Works great as a drysuit undergarment--- doesnt pill up like fleece--- NO buoyancy effect(read-- you dont need to add weights for adding the undergarment)--- and cheap($200)..... Plus you can also wear it under a wetsuit... Adding a lavacore system sort of makes your dive system modular..... drysuit/drysuit +lavacor/wetsuit/wetsuit+lavacor/just lavacore... Plus--- should your drysuit leak-- the lavacore can still keep you warm even when wet(after all it is a thin wetsuit)....
I agree with the quote above about Lavacore. I've been trying out the Lavacore line the past few months. I've been using it under my drysuit [which I am still learning to use.] Last weekend I was in 32* water for 1/2 hour before the cold became an issue of concern. I was using a Viking Extreme drysuit trilaminate shell which has very little built-in insulation.On my skin I had on Neosport XSpan pants and long sleeve shirt. Over that a Lavacore vest and over that lycra dive skin and a Lavacore full dive skin. I don't like the feeling of being squeezed into a drysuit so I am trying to find the least amount of undergarment material needed and also have the least amount of lead on me. As I found out the other day, I should put a little more on my legs and chest. I also have the Lavacore socks and hood which I like for warmer water because it is so light and not constricting. The problem with Lavacore is that it is slower drying than neoprene products and might not be good in the humid tropical areas beause of this. But it's great in the cold parts in my opinion. Also the material, when it is wet, sticks to your skin and other material like glue so you need a layer of lycra under the full skin unless someone is there to peel it off you. Front zips are difficult to get off anyway when you're alone.

Last edited:
I do not believe in DS undergarments. I went to Walmart and picked up a non-cotton base layer, a full sleeve and a fleece. The only thing I would need to dive in DC weather is a core warmer without sleeves.

I do not believe in DS undergarments.

Have you ever owned a nice Thinsulate undergarment set? If you did, how many dives did you do in it? Was the fit correct?

I can't imagine diving in colder water without a good quality undergarment, that will keep one warmish even when flooded. Warmer water is understandable to be in lighter fleece.

Back
Top Bottom