Drysuit undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have been trying out a few different combos over the last few months on the various suggestions given in this thread and I think a base layer (thermal) + fleece pullover (mix) has worked fine for me. I was diving in a drysuit with water temp of about 7/8 Celsius. However i do feel cold on my legs where I tried using my thermal running tights (nike / karrimor) or some other synthetic exercise legging. So i am wondering maybe I would like to get a xerotherm / 4th element lower. Can someone advise if these leggings are better / warmer than the ones I have been using? Do you still need to wear something more on top of them? Can anyone advise if you have been using them with a drysuit in 7-8 deg C water?

So I have been trying out a few different combos over the last few months on the various suggestions given in this thread and I think a base layer (thermal) + fleece pullover (mix) has worked fine for me. I was diving in a drysuit with water temp of about 7/8 Celsius. However i do feel cold on my legs where I tried using my thermal running tights (nike / karrimor) or some other synthetic exercise legging. So i am wondering maybe I would like to get a xerotherm / 4th element lower. Can someone advise if these leggings are better / warmer than the ones I have been using? Do you still need to wear something more on top of them? Can anyone advise if you have been using them with a drysuit in 7-8 deg C water?

I stopped using my compression stuff as a base layer as I often felt cool with them on, even when we'll layered and dry or on the surface. Not every one feels the same or notices this. The Xerotherm and Arctics are both nice, so is the Waterproof brand base layers. I've used all those. For the past few years I've been using Merino wool as a base layer (Smartwool 250g). They are very comfortable and keep me warm even in a flood. The downside is they're pricey at around $85-$95 per piece. Oh, I'm doing a lot of hour+ dives in 3-8 degree C temps.

Undergarments are kinda personal, everyone has their own preference. You've really just got to try a few different things to see what works for you.

One thing worth nothing is that what works best for activities where you are exerting yourself (e.g. running) is not necessarily what works best for activities where you are relatively inactive (e.g. diving). Activities where you are generating a lot of body heat and sweating profusely have different priorities than activities where you are not making much of your own body heat and you are not sweating (or trying not to, anyway).

From stuff I've read here and elsewhere, I *think* that a base layer of Merino wool is what works best for diving.

That said, my regular, local diving is in water that runs around 39F/4C. My normal undies are Fourth Element Arctic leggings and shirt with just thick Merino wool socks, spandex shorts, and a rash guard underneath. Normal dives tend to run 30 - 45 minutes. If I were planning to be in longer, then I would wear lightweight Merino wool leggings and a Merino wool base layer shirt under the Arctic stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom